NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Curt

Thank you for the reply, but I am positive that this is not from Baseball Digest. For starters, this one is larger than the common Baseball Digest crosswords and may actually be larger than the entire BD magazine itself. I'd have to measure it to be sure, but it is definitely larger. I think a few of the earliest Baseball Digest crosswords were the Cross/Currents format with Linnett portraits. Mantle for sure, as I have one scanned that I pulled from a Baseball Digest. Most of them are a different design though. In fact, there were several slight variations to the design.

I am almost certain the 75 Baseball Digest Garvey crossword is a different portrait. In fact it must be because it would have been drawn by Jack Bender. I can't remember for sure and my copies are still in the magazines and tucked away in storage , so finding/scanning them might prove difficult. Also, by 75 Linnett was no longer drawing the portraits and the 75 Garvey is a different design.

I did the same thing you did and cataloged the Baseball Digest crosswords. I bought a fair number or larger lots in order to get all of them and had to make sure they were not marked as well. I ended up with a fair amount of partial and fully completed crosswords in my quest. I just never shared the checklist to the public, but did try to sell singles (my dupes) on ebay many years back.

Here is the Mantle:

Typical early 70s Linnett portrait design:

Early version Bender portraits:

Later version Bender portraits:

The portrait in this Garvey crossword is the same portrait that is featured on the 8x10 Linnett portraits that he sold as singles and in packs. And of course, Linnet portraits were also featured on these Reds, Red Sox & dodger cards:
Old 01-04-2015, 03:46 AM

Great information never knew there were others Baseball digest used to be online on google but looks like they took them down so couldn't pull up the garvey from that issue to compare. Curious if there is now another Rose to track down for my collection.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Curt

It's possible. I didn't review your list and mine is buried, but I think at least a few players who had an early Linnett portrait got a Bender portrait later (Bench & Jackson, maybe Munson perhaps?). However, Linnett did the BD Rose and odds are, if there is another, it might be one like my Garvey that was used in a different periodical. It would likely be the same portrait, but in a larger size. I tried looking for info on Linnett and it is somewhat sparse. He apparently provided portraits in the late 60s in a variety of newspapers, but he was never syndicated.