NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
I dont understand this guy's response if he believes they are real. If he mentioned an attorney, it is juvenile at best. The obsession people have with mention of an attorney when someone gets upset is ludicrous. It undermines them in such inappropriate times, and means their word means nothing to me.
I think most or all of the cards are real. They've just been soaked with various solvents and the scanner isn't the best. The seller has been around long enough to have been able to acquire material like that so it isn't that surprising.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:17 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
I think most or all of the cards are real. They've just been soaked with various solvents and the scanner isn't the best. The seller has been around long enough to have been able to acquire material like that so it isn't that surprising.
Saying that from my previous post, I think there are serious issues with the latest 1923 Willard's Ruth that rdixon posted the link to. First the borders look too wide, and also the corners look to well rounded. When I see something like that, it screams fake to me. And when one item in the lot is fake, it makes me very skeptical of the rest, especially if they are all top tier HOF'ers and no similar looking commons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willard.jpg (72.3 KB, 402 views)
Old 06-08-2015, 12:51 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Gary,

I really don't think the Ruth is a reprint. There are definitely examples out there with top and bottom borders sized that way and other examples have rough cuts on the right and left edges as if they've been removed from a strip of cards. It seems to me that the card in question had some staining near the corners which was removed with a solvent, causing some damage to that area. Then, someone just trimmed the damaged areas so that the corners were rounded. It was a crude process but that's what I see when I look at it.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:15 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
Gary,

I really don't think the Ruth is a reprint. There are definitely examples out there with top and bottom borders sized that way and other examples have rough cuts on the right and left edges as if they've been removed from a strip of cards. It seems to me that the card in question had some staining near the corners which was removed with a solvent, causing some damage to that area. Then, someone just trimmed the damaged areas so that the corners were rounded. It was a crude process but that's what I see when I look at it.
I've been wrong plenty of times, so this wouldn't be a first. I'm okay with the top/bottom borders (maybe), but the left/right seem too wide to me (in addition to the rounded corners, of course). I've attached some images of non-trimmed examples that I found on the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willard_ruth1.jpg (43.5 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg willard_ruth2.jpg (77.1 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg willard_ruth3.jpg (76.8 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg 1923_willard_ruth_front.jpg (77.6 KB, 401 views)

Last edited by glchen; 06-08-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Even though they look a bit off I am now leaning towards them being good with issues, as Michael stated. And 3 of them are listed again....(I have seen solvent or chemicals make cards look bad previously, as many here have)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/prdaniel62/m...p2047675.l2562

Old 06-08-2015, 07:15 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I have no idea if they are good or not but if I was the seller and had all this drama surrounding the cards, I would bite the bullet and get them graded. In this case it would likely assure a higher price realized even only graded as auth.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 AM
R Dixon

I contacted him again about the V-100 Ruth in question (I know, it's been a slow week). Here's the response I got:

"I will be sending some things to grading soon to strengthen my case when I crush you the, Willard was sold to an expert he said it was cleaned by a solution that washes them out he was fine with it and its his business not your f****** business The Willard is no fake I made a huge find about to be newsworthy"

And then this:
"I have an old friend some one who hoarded cards as a kid as I did , he baseball and I football ,I had 7 Jimmy Brown rookies he had endless stacks of Ruths Cobbs etc ONLY because we were 90 % top five to 10 STAR player collectors I have the greatest hoard ever on the plant of early cards just given to me by him to fix up and sell , you say fake its fixed get it .anyone knows this because it would be graded and 10 X more but also FIXED by Dave at SGC was my partner who stabbed me in the back after years of restoring cards for him once he made it big he got me blackballed suing him as we speak . all of his 1930 10 and 9 are likely trimmed by him or Mervin his best friend taught him most of the other card issues too and all he grades from friends, at the 2006 LA National he asked me to work on cards for him but not as a split only buy out as the owner of SGC I will take a lie detector to prove it , ask him to HA !!!"

So yeah. With that said I'd say that they're all real