NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I tend to collect groupings like this when I pick up something that starts it like these plates.
Me too, it's almost an obsession with my collection. I like to group things together, just appeals to me.

Here are a few pics of my '62 plates for 174b Carl Willey. I had a sixth one but sold it to a relative of his many years back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.jpg (72.4 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.jpg (71.8 KB, 344 views)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
Me too, it's almost an obsession with my collection. I like to group things together, just appeals to me.

Here are a few pics of my '62 plates for 174b Carl Willey. I had a sixth one but sold it to a relative of his many years back.
"Really" like the way you have the display set up. Any way to get a picture of how you have this whole players collection set up maybe a bit farther away? I see, I think, a transparency and the Topps file of items the player received as gifts. Some neat items you have there.

Also, I wish I knew more on the printing process (even though it's been explained to me before) since there are at least 6 plates for the same card. Plus they have the color separations, transparency, print photo, etc for each card produced?!?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
"Really" like the way you have the display set up. Any way to get a picture of how you have this whole players collection set up maybe a bit farther away? I see, I think, a transparency and the Topps file of items the player received as gifts. Some neat items you have there.

Also, I wish I knew more on the printing process (even though it's been explained to me before) since there are at least 6 plates for the same card. Plus they have the color separations, transparency, print photo, etc for each card produced?!?
Modern stuff will typically only have four plates/colors. Topps did a few things a bit differently at times, and did a lot more proofing prototyping, etc than the place I worked. We pretty much did almost no proofing at all. Maybe a mockup to get customer approval, but I wasn't involved in the sales end at all.

I think Topps did so much because they needed a lot of approvals for the different sets.

Because they did so much, some of what they did is pretty foreign to me. For example I never saw one of the transparent overlay proofs until Topps vault started selling them.

I think once the proofing was over their production system was very close to what I'm familiar with.

Steve B

Steve B
Old 04-05-2017, 03:19 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Modern stuff will typically only have four plates/colors. Topps did a few things a bit differently at times, and did a lot more proofing prototyping, etc than the place I worked. We pretty much did almost no proofing at all. Maybe a mockup to get customer approval, but I wasn't involved in the sales end at all.

I think Topps did so much because they needed a lot of approvals for the different sets.

Because they did so much, some of what they did is pretty foreign to me. For example I never saw one of the transparent overlay proofs until Topps vault started selling them.

I think once the proofing was over their production system was very close to what I'm familiar with. Steve B
Steve...just so you know you were the one I was referring to when it came to going over the printing process in the past (I think it was in a thread referring to progressive proofs if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, if the modern cards have 4 plates, how many did the more vintage cards have? Was it one for each color? I've seen as many as 10 progressive proofs; does that mean they used 10 printing plates... We know in this example it's at least 6.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:45 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Steve...just so you know you were the one I was referring to when it came to going over the printing process in the past (I think it was in a thread referring to progressive proofs if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, if the modern cards have 4 plates, how many did the more vintage cards have? Was it one for each color? I've seen as many as 10 progressive proofs; does that mean they used 10 printing plates... We know in this example it's at least 6.
Hi mark,

I think I get the question. Actually Ted's pic shows what looks like 5. The last one I am unsure as to what pass it is as it is so light. It's a bit of a mystery to me as to why there is 5 different in his collection as here is what I know about topps process. (I am a hack mind you, not an expert)

The vintage cards used a RGB 4 color process. This would be 4 passes of red, green, blue and black. Modern cards use a CMYK process, this is 4 passes of cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

This is how I understand it, if someone can correct me that's fine.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Hi mark,

I think I get the question. Actually Ted's pic shows what looks like 5. The last one I am unsure as to what pass it is as it is so light.

This is how I understand it, if someone can correct me that's fine.
Justin,

You are correct that Ted pictured 5 plates, but he said he sold one of the plates which would have made 6 total. What I didnt consider, when I asked the question, was what Steve said about the number same player cards on a sheet. Therefore, if the card is on there more than once the number of plates would of course be more.

You mentioned you were a hack when it came to the printing process, but as you can see I haven't even reached the hack level.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Justin,

You are correct that Ted pictured 5 plates, but he said he sold one of the plates which would have made 6 total. What I didnt consider, when I asked the question, was what Steve said about the number same player cards on a sheet. Therefore, if the card is on there more than once the number of plates would of course be more.

You mentioned you were a hack when it came to the printing process, but as you can see I haven't even reached the hack level.
Lol.

My belief is if someone ever says they know everything then they certainly can't know anything.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
The overall process specifics have varied over the years.

As Justin pointed out some modern cards ( I'm using "modern" to apply to cards printed with a typically 4 color processs of some sort, which is mostly postwar) Will be either CMYK - or without fancy names, pink blue yellow black, Or RGB - red green blue black.

Some Topps cards even into the 70's and 80's appear to have areas of solid color that isn't an overlaid color. Plus they have gloss and occasionally an underlayer of white which could be taken as colors 5 and 6. (The underlayer is more noticeable when it's on the back which is a straight two color printing until they added color pictures to it)

Much older processes like the one for T206 would often use a lot more individual colors, typically for T206 it's around 8 depending on the card, at least 6, although I suspect there are very few that are only 6 with most being 8 or more. Some cigar box labels are 12+ colors.

Then there's sets done with processes that are variable in colors, quality, and type. Like 49 Leaf, where there's at least 3-4 identifiable runs using different colors, Pink vs red, and sometimes there's shading sometimes there isn't.

On the 1962 plates, since some cards were on a sheet multiple times there could be two plate pieces of the same card/color.

Steve B
Old 04-07-2017, 01:35 PM

I can't speak to all plates, but here is what I've read in the past about the '62 variations which may speak to the number I have.

1962 series 2 Topps was still selling well when series 3 was ready to be printed. They had the plates shipped to another printer (green tints?) so they could continue printing series 2 as well as start 3. On the way an unknown incident happened, a few plates were ruined and some people/poses were changed. Again, not sure why. This is the story I read some time back, I may have a screen shot saved or something. Maybe they made up extra plates for a few because the previous accident? I don't know, I'm just throwing out therioies.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I can't speak to all plates, but here is what I've read in the past about the '62 variations which may speak to the number I have.

1962 series 2 Topps was still selling well when series 3 was ready to be printed. They had the plates shipped to another printer (green tints?) so they could continue printing series 2 as well as start 3. On the way an unknown incident happened, a few plates were ruined and some people/poses were changed. Again, not sure why. This is the story I read some time back, I may have a screen shot saved or something. Maybe they made up extra plates for a few because the previous accident? I don't know, I'm just throwing out therioies.
That makes sense.

Thanks for the better reply Steve. Yes in my response I was using modern in reference to the "shiny" modern era and vintage to postwar on to shiny.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

I'd be really surprised if they shipped actual plates. They were printing cards on double sheets by then, two 132 card sheets side by side. So the plates were both thin aluminum and really large. Sure, they could be shipped, but it would be expensive and a nuisance.
And once they're mounted in the press they get used and worn, and the tensioning stretches them slightly. I've never heard of reusing them in a commercial press. We saved them for recycling, unless I used one for a dustpan(We never bought a dustpan, since we usually had a stack of plates.)

More likely candidates for shipping would be either the original art, which could have been comparatively small panels with the borders and pictures basically pasted to a bit of thicker cardboard.
Or the "masks" one for each color, and basically a huge negative. 62s may have been large negatives, but they're usually a special opaque paper with the negatives taped onto it and holes cut where they want the negative to show.
The woodgrain border would be why the 62s could have been a group of really large negatives.

The masks would have shipped pretty easily rolled up in a tube.

Steve B
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Here are pics, I apologize for so many, but it's a 6' case as you can see in the first pic. And I've got cards shoe horned onto that top shelf.

I have the Alan Hagar proof "price guide" from years ago that has some good information in it. I can post pics of pages if you're interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7442.jpg (74.6 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0467.jpg (74.2 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0478.jpg (76.0 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7444.jpg (71.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0471.jpg (75.0 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0479.jpg (75.2 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0466.jpg (78.1 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0465.jpg (77.7 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0464.jpg (73.6 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0462.jpg (77.0 KB, 292 views)
Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Ben North

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks. Here are pics, I apologize for so many, but it's a 6' case as you can see in the first pic. And I've got cards shoe horned onto that top shelf.

I have the Alan Hagar proof "price guide" from years ago that has some good information in it. I can post pics of pages if you're interested.
Thank you for sharing the awesome Carl Willey collection.

Your display case looks great also. Someday I hope to get one and organize some of my stuff.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:14 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:

Just wanted to say thank you for posting the pictures of your Carl Willey collection; definely impressive. Sure does give me motivation to continue working on displaying the collection rather than just storing a collection.

On the proof price guide; I didn't even know one existed. How in the world does the fellow list proof items?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great pics, thanks for sharing!!
Quote: