NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2017, 04:23 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I did not realize this was a workaround. I always offered 1st Class Mail as my first, cheapest option..........but for some reason is supposed to be delivered faster then Priority Mail, if a package gets it's first scan later then the 24 hour time frame.

So, if I just offer the generic Economy shipping, and then ship out via 1st Class Mail, they give a longer time frame for it to get where it's going?

Seems pretty half-assed by Ebay......but it IS Ebay, so I guess I shouldn't be shocked.
Exactly. Offer generic Economy and ship via First Class. eBay is trying to solve the issue where customers think their packages are arriving late. However, if customers don't expect to receive the package for two weeks but get it in one, then they are pleasantly surprised. The flip side is that you may lose a handful of customers who want their package by a certain date. (For a Birthday present for example). They may not buy from you because they think your package would arrive too late although it would have arrived on time.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Howard Chernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Exactly. Offer generic Economy and ship via First Class. eBay is trying to solve the issue where customers think their packages are arriving late. However, if customers don't expect to receive the package for two weeks but get it in one, then they are pleasantly surprised. The flip side is that you may lose a handful of customers who want their package by a certain date. (For a Birthday present for example). They may not buy from you because they think your package would arrive too late although it would have arrived on time.
If you still ship out within the next day, you customers will keep coming back. If this brings back my Top Rated Selling status and saves me money in fees, I think its worth a gamble. It won't be long till eBay changes its requirements once again. But for now this is a great plan.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 04-29-2017, 08:27 PM
Scott Russell

wow, if this works I owe you! I won't pay you, but I'll owe you!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-30-2017, 01:37 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Just showing a screenshot of the part of the listing in ebay where you set the shipping to Economy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shipping.jpg (74.2 KB, 190 views)
Old 04-30-2017, 07:54 AM

The standards for Top-Rated are pretty easy to maintain for me outside of 100 items in 12 months. Selling for me can be a seasonal thing so some months are HUGE and some are sparse. I was Top-Rated for a while, but lost it due to that specific criteria. I've just now gotten it back this coming month.

The problem lies in that eBay does not do enough to reward people for having to maintain those high standards, especially if you go even farther and do Top-Rated Plus. If I have to give someone 30 freaking days to possibly return a card, all sorts of things could happen in that time-period that are fraudulent. I also know that cuts both ways in that I could possibly take a raw card and have it quick graded to see if it will meet my standards. If it does, I keep it, if it doesn't then I just return it for a refund. It just keeps the seller hanging out in the wind and that's just not cool. I don't offer refunds to people I've sold to at shows and then take the cards home. Once it's out of my hands, it's yours. Same goes for eBay in that I have a "no return" policy.

The fact that they are getting a 10% cut of my sales is almost ridiculous as I can come on here and other places and sell pretty much just as effectively and safely and only take the 3% hit from PayPal which is a much more modest and reasonable transactional fee. The fact that I'm potentially paying eBay $300 on a $3000 item is insane and they certainly did not do $300 worth of work to assist me in selling that item AND having to go through all of the things they require to maintain ratings.

In regards to late shipment issues, I simply go inside and put it in the mail slot that's for regular mail. They usually just grab those bins once they get full and then scan the items. That eliminates the waiting in lines for a PO worker to scan it in and also eliminates the lag of putting it in the outside drop which is only collected at the very end of the day. I also maintain a stock of bubble mailers and a small digital scale so I can weigh and package everything at home in my own time and drop them off. If you can't get to the post office within 24 hours of someone handing you money, something is wrong with you and not the rules eBay has on that. That is insane to me that someone couldn't take 5 minutes to put the stuff together and drop it off at a post office somewhere along their day.

Another trick I've learned long ago is to offer free shipping on all of my items. I just build it into my asking price. When I first started doing eBay I was adamant about buyers paying the shipping, but it just got to the point to people were haggling about paying me $3 for postage and supplies and I got tired of it. By offering free shipping it eliminates them being able to mark you down on star ratings for that category when they're leaving you feedback and it honestly can win you some customers over someone else who has a similarly priced item, but is charging for shipping. I know it's small, but people are cheap too.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!

Last edited by ngnichols; 04-30-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Post Office

Hi Howard,
The clerk who picks up the mail from the collection box is REQUIRED to scan the packages that are in the collection box. There should be no exceptions.

If I were you, I would ask for an appointment with the Postmaster and talk to him/her about it. If the Postmaster drags his feet, ask for the telephone number for the Postal Operations Manager, who is the Postmaster's boss.

It pisses me off when the clerks are too lazy to do their job correctly, and it causes a lot of problems down the line when a package is late or missing. The Postmaster is responsible for making sure that the employees are doing their job correctly, but the Postmaster won't know this is happening if you don't make him aware of it.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Luke Lyon

Question for you guys with ebay stores:

I decided to give 30 day returns a try in order to get the 10% off final value fees.

I thought I had done everything I needed to, but my discounts still show as "NONE". Can you see what I am missing here? If I'm missing some info I can look it up and post it.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ebay graphic 1.jpg (23.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Ebay graphic 2.jpg (64.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Ebay graphic 3.jpg (49.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I don't offer refunds to people I've sold to at shows and then take the cards home. Once it's out of my hands, it's yours. Same goes for eBay in that I have a "no return" policy.
I bought a card at a show one time. A 1960 Topps Mantle. It looked so nice I didnt bother taking it out of the Card Saver for fear of messing it up. It was a fake. According to your policy, I would not be due a refund.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Question for you guys with ebay stores:

I decided to give 30 day returns a try in order to get the 10% off final value fees.

I thought I had done everything I needed to, but my discounts still show as "NONE". Can you see what I am missing here? If I'm missing some info I can look it up and post it.

Thanks!
If I recall correctly, the Discount bar you are looking at reflects your status as of your last monthly evaluation, which may not take into account recent revisions you have made.