NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2019, 07:51 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
I attended an Ivy League school and so did my siblings.
And...so what? Chuck may be rudimentary, you're condescending. Feels like a push. I thought you said you wanted a civil discussion, but your response to a silly insult is to try and impress everyone with you and your siblings Ivy League attendance? I literally did laugh out loud at this, so thanks for that.

Anyway, let's play this little game. While I didn't attend an Ivy League school, I do happen to have a Mensa card. Does that qualify me?

Quote:
If you think those BO studs are going to shake up the card world then show me the $ that's going to back them in court or the agency that will leverage their findings for a case.
I think most people find out that the state governments and federal government are pretty well funded when it comes to lawsuits and investigations. The easy answer here is the FBI, but there are other choices if you want to look around.

If you just want to say you don't think it gets that far, that's fine - add another item to the list of things that certain people here don't agree with you on.

I don't believe for one second that you don't understand any of these arguments, you just choose not to directly address it and try to divert attention to a comic book video. Even though comic books and cards are actually really different, which you also don't seem to want to acknowledge, but that's fine.

You've made your point and posted your video a number of times now. Good work.

Thanks, and happy collecting! How'd I do?
Old 05-30-2019, 09:20 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
And...so what? Chuck may be rudimentary, you're condescending. Feels like a push. I thought you said you wanted a civil discussion, but your response to a silly insult is to try and impress everyone with you and your siblings Ivy League attendance? I literally did laugh out loud at this, so thanks for that.

Anyway, let's play this little game. While I didn't attend an Ivy League school, I do happen to have a Mensa card. Does that qualify me?

David, Chucks been coming at me with insults on every thread. This time I simply gave him a receipt in return. To me the term getting kicked in the head by a mule is an insult to my intelligence that I take pride in. I’m not here to play games.

I think most people find out that the state governments and federal government are pretty well funded when it comes to lawsuits and investigations. The easy answer here is the FBI, but there are other choices if you want to look around.

If you just want to say you don't think it gets that far, that's fine - add another item to the list of things that certain people here don't agree with you on.
That is correct. It needs to get figured out by industry leaders in order for the consumers to follow. Just like history has shown
I don't believe for one second that you don't understand any of these arguments, you just choose not to directly address it and try to divert attention to a comic book video. Even though comic books and cards are actually really different, which you also don't seem to want to acknowledge, but that's fine.
May be two different genres but exact same concept about grading and authentication which includes conservation vs restoration.
You've made your point and posted your video a number of times now. Good work.

Thanks, and happy collecting! How'd I do?
You did great David. Thanks for chiming in!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
You did great David. Thanks for chiming in!
He has been coming at you, that's fair.

I don't share your opinion that this stays out of a courtroom somewhere, or that some agency doesn't end up involved. It only takes one person who ended up with one of these things to decide they don't care about the refund and would rather stand on principle. There are plenty of angles and choices to pursue, including eBay (although that would probably be the toughest fight of all).

Also, not sure what the value tally has come to yet but it's increasing every day. $1m will get some media eyeballs, if a story or two goes out in the right places don't underestimate how quickly this thing could take off outside our little collector world.

Comic books makes sense that there would be more restoration, there's more pages, thinner stock, etc. I'm not opposed to restoration in cards, I just think it's already been pretty well defined. I also heavily object to PWCCs idea of what is and isn't restoration/conservation, if for no other reason than that definition appears to be motivated by what is best for business, not what's best for the hobby. I don't think anyone includes trimming as an acceptable technique, but if you can't tell by holding the card it didn't happen, even with photos of before and after? Sorry, not buying it. Get a ruler, and stop with all the tolerance garbage.

At a minimum, I think PSA has some explaining to do, a fair bit of refunding to do and some pretty extensive changing/improvement to do so they actually enforce their published rules. They also have some enforcement to do, which includes permanent bans of bad actors. If that includes people/companies who act as agents for those bad actors as well, so be it. If they don't, I don't know how that improves anything.

Last edited by bounce; 05-30-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

This is becoming an easier case for a prosecutor on a daily basis, and that's even before they investigate and compel people to turn over evidence. And I bet there are plenty of people who know things who would come forward. I would.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.