NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I had a high end card last year that I wanted to cross over to PSA. It was a SGC 30. PSA put it in a holder and marked it PSA 4.5.

Have I committed mail fraud if I don't disclose to to my buyer that the other leading card grading company offered me their professional opinion that the card is of a significantly lower quality than PSA?
Old 06-03-2019, 11:07 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I had a high end card last year that I wanted to cross over to PSA. It was a SGC 30. PSA put it in a holder and marked it PSA 4.5.

Have I committed mail fraud if I don't disclose to to my buyer that the other leading card grading company offered me their professional opinion that the card is of a significantly lower quality than PSA?
A. There is no mention of intentional alteration in your scenario

B. Thus, it is not an "apples to apples" comparison. All it accomplishes is to further demonstrate PSA's ineptitude.

Last edited by perezfan; 06-03-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

B. Thus, it is not an "apples to apples" comparison. All it accomplishes is to further demonstrate PSA's ineptitude.
Or it could show PSA has a different basis for grading. Centering the 2 companies are very different, and I had a bunch of T200's that I crossed and the 2 companies obviously had very different criteria.

To a certain extent I don't expect one companies 6 to be anothers. I do expect one companies 6 to be a 6 every time they grade a similar card.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:26 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:

Quote:

C. The SGC grader was having a bad day, was in a bad mood, and/or, thought he saw something that wasn't there, and graded the card lower than it deserved.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 06-03-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
C. The SGC grader was having a bad day, was in a bad mood, and/or, thought he saw something that wasn't there, and graded the card lower than it deserved.

Steve
Well if that’s even plausible, then grading is even more senseless than originally thought.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:51 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Well if that’s even plausible, then grading is even more senseless than originally thought.

It is more than plausible.

Several years ago, I bought a raw 1910-era HOFer tobacco card from a very well known and respected member of these boards, and auction house owner. The seller is extremely knowledgeable about tobacco cards. I sent it in to PSA. They said it was "trimmed", and returned it to me unslabbed.

I contacted the seller, and he assured me the card was completely original and un-tampered with. I believed him. I checked the card myself, and found absolutely no signs of tampering.

A couple years later, I resubmitted the card to PSA, and they graded it a "4". I still have it.

Both Net54 and the CU message boards are full of posts from people who have submitted cards, only for them to come back to them either ungraded, or with low grades. The common term used is that the cards were looked at by the G.O.D., or "Grader of Death".

That is just considering cards that were graded multiple times by the same company. There are even more instances regarding cards originally graded by one company, and then sent to one of the other TPGs, where they received differing grades. That can simply be caused by differing standards between the two TPGs, but could also be related to an overly harsh first-look.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 06-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

We've discussed before whether there is an obligation to disclose grading history. I wouldn't know how to find it. I think generally not unless you are asked and lie, if no alteration involved in the bump, but as I recall there were some good points made on the other side.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-03-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default The focus of the scandal

The focus of the scandal for many on this board and the BO board seems to be the card doctors (Moser in particular) and the auction houses (PWCC in particular) that possibly knowingly sold doctored cards.

Of course this is bad behavior and possibly illegal, definitely immoral, and they and their businesses will likely suffer in undetermined ways because of their actions.

But not enough of the focus is on PSA or the third-party graders in general.

We didn't really learn anything new about the tendency of people like the card doctors and their sales fronts in this scandal. Those things have been present in one way or another for years and in fact are part of the reason for the TPG's in the first place - to give the buyer/collector/investor comfort that the card is real, unaltered, and it fits closely to the objective traits of the subjective grade that they provide.

I think a new learning would be (or at least a more solid understanding of how pervasive the condition) how inept or carelessly or willfully negligent the TPG's really are at assigning a grade and detecting alterations including trimming, recoloring, adding back corners, removing stains, removing creases, etc.

So while the particular doctors in this case may be stopped for now, and while one auction house may take a hit, the big impact of the scandals uncovered over the past few months is that our collective faith in third party graders who grade using current methods has been probably irreparably damaged.

The damage to our faith in their expertise will likely cost many who own graded cards some measure of market value of those cards.

The open question is what will come to rectify the problem of TPG's' ineptitude? Because the need is still there.

Because there is a need for uniform opinions of condition rather than the old days of "well high book value X and this card looks pretty good", and because there are many more card doctors hiding in the shadows, the need for a good third-party opinion remains. The question is - who and what will come in to fill that need now that the current TPG's have proved extremely fallable? That should be the trajectory this discussion takes while the market and legal authorities deal with those who have been exposed.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

People keep saying there is no focus on PSA but there has been plenty of discussion of PSA. There is more on PWCC for now because of the nature of what's been uncovered, and all the statements they have made, and their direct relationship to certain people. But I don't see anyone avoiding PSA as a topic. Quite to the contrary. Read all the threads, it's very much there.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-03-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:14 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:

Assuming you were the person who submitted the card for the crossover, and then subsequently sold it, no. If though you sold/loaned the card to someone else and it was that person who had it crossed over, upon your subsequent sale of the card you probably would have a duty to make the disclosure if (1) the person who crossed it over was a known card doctor or (2) the card looked different to you after it was crossed over.

Last edited by benjulmag; 06-03-2019 at 11:38 AM.