NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-12-2020, 12:03 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Here is another one of my items highlighted in Bob Lemke's blog a few years back.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/02...stery-lid.html

I still don't know it's exact origin, but now believe it's probably from the 1980's and has something to do with the Queensgate Mall in York, PA. It is made of thick plastic, not the same material of the English Chicken lids from 1976 & 1983.

Anyone with any info would be much appreciated. I've never seen another.

Attachment 381017
Alan,

I’d guess the same as you that it relates to Queensgate Mall. What do you think it was used or going to be used for? Lid to popcorn or biggy drink or possibly something else.

It’s nice to have items we know little to nothing about. The search should be both interesting and fun.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Alan,

I’d guess the same as you that it relates to Queensgate Mall. What do you think it was used or going to be used for? Lid to popcorn or biggy drink or possibly something else.

It’s nice to have items we know little to nothing about. The search should be both interesting and fun.
Mark,

I don't think it is a popcorn or drink lid. It's thick hard plastic, about 1/8" thick and 8" in diameter. Most popcorn lids have a waxy feel and there's no slot for a straw if it's a drink lid. I think it was part of some kind of display, but can't guess how it was used. I would really like to know for sure.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:40 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

I don't think it is a popcorn or drink lid. It's thick hard plastic, about 1/8" thick and 8" in diameter. Most popcorn lids have a waxy feel and there's no slot for a straw if it's a drink lid. I think it was part of some kind of display, but can't guess how it was used. I would really like to know for sure.
Alan,

I’d really like to see the Queensland piece in hand. Is it the same thickness all around or is there a lip? Maybe something to advertise the Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods store. I know they used a somewhat similar setup on the patch they produced.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-12-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:24 PM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Alan,

I’d really like to see the Queensland piece in hand. Is it the same thickness all around or is there a lip? Maybe something to advertise the Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods store. I know they used a somewhat similar setup on the patch they produced.
No lip, same thickness all around. It's thick enough, that you couldn't bend it without it actually breaking and/or snapping in half. I'll have to bring it to Florida with me next time.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:11 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Default Awesome thread!

Glad to see so many Brooks fans out there. Grew up in Baltimore and Brooks was my hero as a kid. I mostly have cards, will get some pics together at some point.

Thanks for starting this one.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:11 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 13 (January 13, 2020 – 013

I started a side project, which I think was at the end of 2017, of a Brooks Robinson autograph run of his regular issue or base cards during his playing days (’57 thru ’78). I’ve never really been an autograph seeker or collector (I do have quite a few of Brooks autos), but was inspired by a couple other collectors, particularly Mike (Baseballcrazy62) and Stephen (Marchillo) when they posted their autograph runs. I wanted to do a Brooks Robinson run a bit different which was to get the cards signed in pen. I knew that would be more difficult, but I like the look of a nice pen autograph on a card. I figured once I have that completed I may go for a sharpie run; who knows. Well, I’m not quite done with the pen autographed run yet so I’ll post one of the latest signed cards I picked up.

1978 Topps #4 signed Record-Breaker.

Day 13 a.jpg

You would think that the ’78 Topps card would be one of the easiest signed cards to pick up, but it has been very difficult to find a nice example. It may be that people were going with sharpie instead of pen, but most of the pen examples the signatures are light on the card. The example I have isn’t the greatest autograph, but it’s the darkest on the card that I’ve seen to date.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Ellie Hendricks

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy). This jersey is a game used 1974 Elrod Hendricks home jersey.

Jersey Elrod Hendricks front.jpg
Jersey Elrod Hendricks back.jpg
Old 01-13-2020, 01:25 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp3rd View Post
Glad to see so many Brooks fans out there. Grew up in Baltimore and Brooks was my hero as a kid. I mostly have cards, will get some pics together at some point.

Thanks for starting this one.
I know I enjoy viewing cards...
Old 01-13-2020, 04:58 AM
Mike Magee

Good morning, I was born in 1981 and Cal Ripken was my hero as I was growing up. When I finally had the opportunity to meet him at a Chantilly show, my grandmother wanted to come along as well. There's a photo of myself, Cal, and my grandmother with my grandmother in the middle. Cal called her a "rose between two thorns". She blushed, did a little hand wave, and said, "Oh, Cal!". So, thanks Mr. Ripken for making my grandmother so happy that day.

These are some of my Ripken proof items:

1982 Fleer Test Card
http://net54baseball.com/attachment....1&d=1578916439

1990 Donruss Aqueous Test

1990 Donruss Blue/White

1992 Topps Round Trippers

1992 Donruss Jumbo Diamond King
Old 01-13-2020, 01:23 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
No lip, same thickness all around. It's thick enough, that you couldn't bend it without it actually breaking and/or snapping in half. I'll have to bring it to Florida with me next time.
Thanks for the information. Hopefully someone else will know how this was used.

Yes; please bring the Queensgate the next time around...