NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Default ebay sale supposedly Butterfinger Ruth

No idea what this is that ebay seller has labeled a Butterfinger Ruth --but is not even close to looking like any I have. Back is wrong unless was authentic Ruth was attached to something. . .

Seller has other items for sale like a 53 Mantle -And 1932 Babe Ruth Abullah card and 1928 Ruth Candy card. . . These are not listed as reprints. Of course if these are authentic and you get a bargain you are welcome Odds of that don't seem to be good.

Can somebody who has enough expertise contact this guy to advise re reprints or not? 88 feedback so maybe just doesn't know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-R310-B...MAAOSwNhNfrFXe

Buying or trading for lesser condition Butterfingers

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Member of Old Baseball Cards
Old 11-12-2020, 01:13 PM
Tim Odeen

These are fakes / reprints. Other sellers try selling them on thicker cardboard and passing them off as real or salesman samples. The salesman samples / store advertisements have big organge BUTTERFINGER printed across them. These samples were printed on thicker cardboard and bring a premium price. However, most of the ones on ebay haven't sold for 5 years because the seller refuses to reduce his prices. Here is an example. You can report it to ebay, but they won't do anything about - which seems to be their status quo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Butter...UAAOSwLN5Wlt4J
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Doug Goodman

Here is a salesman's sample
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butterfinger Ad - OFarrell 1.jpg (73.7 KB, 441 views)
Old 11-12-2020, 06:32 PM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Thanks for replies —Yeah i guess I will go ahead and tell seller needs to list the butterfinger as reprint and if not I will report the butterfinger—I knew that one wasn’t anything close to authentic, but I don’t know enough to report the other cards.. pretty much the only cards I have seen in person are my own.

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:57 AM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

I messaged seller --never heard back. I just tried to notify ebay --but they only gave me a dropdown menu to advise "fraudulent." Sent that in, but they might not know what is fraudulent. Anyone know how to send a more detailed message to ebay fraud department?

Ruth is over $100 --with 20 watchers! (2 hours to go) (mostly bids by somebody with 8 feedback, but somebody with over 1000 feedback bid $100!

There are several other Ruths and Mantles listed by same seller in descriptions, more have been added since my original post, they are labeled as "non-PSA." but not as reprints or fakes. Still very low bids, as these seem to be obvious fakes and most people know it.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:59 AM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

At least for some of the cards, now says selling as reprint per ebay rules.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:39 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

This is all getting out of hand.

With all the money poured into the hobby during the pandemic, it's like chum in the water for people willing to lie, cheat and steal their way for a buck.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:42 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

For Butterfingers (as with other thinner paper 'cards'), I wouldn't even consider buying a non-Salesman Sample that has more than 1 'rounded corner'. And the single rounded corner would be a fluke (but possible). The paper tears so easily that corners are usually 'chunked' off rather than rounded, which is more likely from thicker cardboard (and true Salesman Samples). And with cardboard items, 4 similarly rounded corners is at least a red flag with me as well.

PS - Hi Tony!
Old 11-17-2020, 02:56 PM
Scott Russell

Semi-off topic there are some of the most gorgeous regular Butterfingers I have ever seen consigned to my current Pre War auction

https://birminghamauctioneersbid.com...searchin=title

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-17-2020, 04:19 PM

Has anyone seen his other auctions, including the recently relisted Honus Wagner T206... How does someone like this continue to sell on EBAY? It's obvious that he artificially wears the cards to make them appear aged, and then makes a listed to appear that they are real, but covers himself by saying that EBAY rules make him list it as a reprint. The obvious reprints then sell for well beyond anything that would be a slightly reasonable amount.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:38 PM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Default update

The 1933 Goudey Ruth (described as being sold as a reprint) went for $435 to somebody with 77 feedback. A lot of different bidders, none with feedback over 420.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:54 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

If you want to see a beautiful graded copy of the real thing, check out the George Herman Butterfinger card now in the current LOTG auction.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:43 PM
Jim B.

I have a nice example of a real one as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1934_R310Butterfinger.jpg (63.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 11-19-2020, 03:09 PM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Seller keeps adding more cards, --a 52 Mays also listed as being sold as a reprint because origin not known, now at $260, 2 hours to go, 12 feedback person winning, 20 watchers.

There are four more 1933 Goudey Ruths listed, though none have any bids yet, with bids already high for reprints, Gibson rookie, koufax rookie, 50-56 Jackies.

But I guess nothing can be done since they are listed as possible reprints.