NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2021, 08:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I would refer too the first few sentences that specifically refer to it as altering.

Altering IS just another type of damage, alterations are a type of damage. They are a group of damage done to increase a cards sell value or appearance. That is a group, a type of damage. Another type, another group, of damage, made its own type because of the fact it is altering, not normal wear and tear but done for a specific purpose intentionally. It does not change my enjoyment of a card, so while it’s own type, it’s just another type..

I don’t know why this wants to be made a thing, but alright.
You make my point. For YOU, it doesn't change your enjoyment of a card. For those of us who grew up in the hobby with a certain mentality, we could not enjoy an altered card because it's heresy. That's the difference.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:11 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You make my point. For YOU, it doesn't change your enjoyment of a card. For those of us who grew up in the hobby with a certain mentality, we could not enjoy an altered card because it's heresy. That's the difference.
I've run across the unfortunate circumstance where the price boom, has made it affording the cards I want, borderline impossible, as a younger collector, the two altered cards I have in my collection, act as place holders until the day comes when I can afford respectable looking copies, in decent mid level grades. While we are seeing some regression in vintage, the main guy I collect, Mickey Mantle, does not go down in price. Which means, with certain cards, "altered" grades are one of my only option at the moment.

All that being said, personally, while I don't love the idea of owning an altered card, it's something that I've come to terms with, for now. It's also the reason why when I mainly shop around for a new card for my collection, I try to buy raw, from a long time collector or dealer, that knows the origin of the card. As it's one of the only ways I can ensure what I'm buying, hasn't been messed with.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I've run across the unfortunate circumstance where the price boom, has made it affording the cards I want, borderline impossible, as a younger collector, the two altered cards I have in my collection, act as place holders until the day comes when I can afford respectable looking copies, in decent mid level grades. While we are seeing some regression in vintage, the main guy I collect, Mickey Mantle, does not go down in price. Which means, with certain cards, "altered" grades are one of my only option at the moment.

All that being said, personally, while I don't love the idea of owning an altered card, it's something that I've come to terms with, for now. It's also the reason why when I mainly shop around for a new card for my collection, I try to buy raw, from a long time collector or dealer, that knows the origin of the card. As it's one of the only ways I can ensure what I'm buying, hasn't been messed with.
Sounds sensible.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post

There's absolutely no shame in owning an altered card, whether it's a placeholder or one you plan to take to the grave. Many/most of us probably have a few of them in our collections whether we know it or not.

But when the altered card is passed off as original and is assigned a numerical grade by a TPG, then we have a problem. The entire premise of third party grading is rendered pointless and meaningless when trimmed/recolored/bleached cards are continually realizing a lot more money than lower-graded original examples.

And whether it's just mistaken identification by the TPG or outright fraud, when people are profiting it only exacerbates the problem.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
So what I said was just fine and needed no correction, it just ruins the fun for you and it doesn’t for me in my heretical ways. That’s fine.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:59 PM

This may be best for another thread but has anyone come across any pre war reprints/fakes that are getting hard to tell the difference between an original?
Old 07-08-2021, 07:30 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd View Post
This may be best for another thread but has anyone come across any pre war reprints/fakes that are getting hard to tell the difference between an original?
I don't think so. There's plenty of profit already in being able to make fakes that fool the less informed bidders. That said, all the molecules to be found in a T206 Wagner or a Baltimore News Ruth are plentiful in the world, and at some point the technology will be sufficiently developed for someone to be able to put them together to create a new card that none of us would be able to distinguish from the original.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Take a look at this thread from 3 yrs back...

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...t=coupon+fraud

Old 07-08-2021, 07:50 AM
James M.

Quote:
With rapidly improving technology, I'm more fearful of someone getting their hands on old card stock and attempting to make counterfeit versions of cards.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

...if some one micro-trimmed an edge, that's just another type of damage...
The type done purposefully, with the intent of deceiving and defrauding an unsuspecting buyer.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-08-2021, 06:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
The type done purposefully, with the intent of deceiving and defrauding an unsuspecting buyer.
See #50.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:05 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
See #50.
I've read the entire thread. We have a difference of opinion.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 07-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I've read the entire thread. We have a difference of opinion.
That may be, but absolutely nowhere am I saying that altering is not "The type done purposefully, with the intent of deceiving and defrauding an unsuspecting buyer." I've said it explicitly multiple times.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:15 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
That may be, but absolutely nowhere am I saying that altering is not "The type done purposefully, with the intent of deceiving and defrauding an unsuspecting buyer." I've said it explicitly multiple times.
Not sure where you've explicitly said that. Perhaps in another thread. The passage you quoted above was my opinion regarding micro-trimming.

Quote:
...I have many I know are trimmed, recolored etc., but I'm positive I have many more I don't realize are altered. However, I personally don't really care...
It's a big hobby. Plenty of room for everyone. If you "personally don't really care" about unwittingly acquiring altered cards, I applaud you for being so easygoing.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 07-09-2021, 11:16 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
If the accusations against Evan are true, then what's his excuse?
https://youtu.be/qHDBDTlrp0o

See the video at 1:40

Arnold Rothstein: What's the secret of America?

Charlie Luciano: What's the matter with this guy? I'm 24 years old, I don't...

Arnold Rothstein: MONEY! Everything is MONEY, Charlie.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-09-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:02 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
I like that one MUCH better than the PSA 7.
I like them both.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:54 AM
Matt

I see an increasing amount of collectors out there 40s to 20s who are okay with a card having been improved. They just want it to look great and be in the slab. Plastic surgery, so to speak.

That said, reading this thread reminds me though why I will always hold onto my 52 Topps Mantle— because I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of the lovely gentleman who pulled it from the pack in the summer of '52, and who later had it graded.

Just one collector's opinion, for me to be able to trace a card's origin like that from pack to my hand adds value that cannot be quantified (though buddies have certainly tried to quantify it and buy it from me, LOL). I think very few graded old cards have a lineage that a collector can look at and prove the card was never improved.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Look, debating whether a trim is an alteration (it is) or damage (it is) is pointless, as is assuming none of our cards are altered because we are all such studs at recognizing alterations. We aren't. I also don't think there is more of a tolerance of alterations today than 30 years ago. Frankly there is more scrutiny of card grades now than ever before because of the money. My first 1952 Bowman Mantle cost me $3.25; if someone did some work on that, no biggie, I can shrug it off. My current card cost me a ton more. If that one was worked on I'd be pissed because I can't just shrug off that level of loss.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-10-2021, 07:29 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I see an increasing amount of collectors out there 40s to 20s who are okay with a card having been improved. They just want it to look great and be in the slab.
But why will a person pay hundreds of thousands for a PSA 10 price on something like the '86 Michael Jordan, when a NM-MT+ looking PSA AUTH or PSA AUTH ALTERED can be bought for under $5,000?
Saying the buyers don't care is BS. They may be in on the scam, but they don't just want the card in the holder, they want the fake grade on the label more than the card.

BTW, I noticed that PSA is now hiding the Cert number in their Auction Prices Realized tool. Watch the page loading video I just shot and notice that the Cert column is there while the page is loaded, but disappears when the page is fully rendered. Why get rid of that?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zVEr9UCFw9XLUYqp7
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:38 AM
Derek

Quote:
I see an increasing amount of collectors out there 40s to 20s who are okay with a card having been improved. They just want it to look great and be in the slab. Plastic surgery, so to speak.

That said, reading this thread reminds me though why I will always hold onto my 52 Topps Mantle— because I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of the lovely gentleman who pulled it from the pack in the summer of '52, and who later had it graded.

Just one collector's opinion, for me to be able to trace a card's origin like that from pack to my hand adds value that cannot be quantified (though buddies have certainly tried to quantify it and buy it from me, LOL). I think very few graded old cards have a lineage that a collector can look at and prove the card was never improved.
About 10 years ago I was able to get 30 33 goudeys from a very old gentleman and his family. He claimed he unpacked every one of them and knew which cards where packed together.

Through mostly commons, they hold a higher value to me because of the origin. Included was these 2 beauties.

DSC07151.jpgnewjpg01-29-21 03-52-38.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2021, 08:27 AM
Michael

Quote:
Many ebay sellers provide a lineage for the cards they're selling - "given to me by my grandpa," "left to me by my grandpa," "found in my grandpa's attic after he passed away," etc. Not all provided lineages have the same weight.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:46 AM
Matt

Sup Mike! Trust all is good with u. So true forgot about that classic ebay description— they love to use it on reprints especially lol!