NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
No monopolistic move with that purchase at all…..
[s]PSA are not doing anything that resembles anti-competitive behavior. They're buying out a competitor, which is totally allowed.
Honestly, their price hikes probably were pro-competitive, as it made a not-insignificant amount of people shift from subbing to PSA to subbing to SGC.

Regardless, this is a letdown. SGC had really been taking the boom in stride and seemed to be getting ahead of their growing pains. Will be interesting to see what happens next. [/s]
WOOPS, just finished reading the thread. Glad to see no merger. Excited to see how both companies evolve as we come out of the boom!

Successful transactions with: t206kid, rootsearcher60, 36GoudeyMan, 53toppscollector, Scott L, horzverti, YazFenway08

Also on blowout! Same username.

Flippin my way to a PSA 1 Eddie Plank

Last edited by peanuts; 07-08-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
PSA are not doing anything that resembles anti-competitive behavior. They're buying out a competitor, which is totally allowed.
Honestly, their price hikes probably were pro-competitive, as it made a not-insignificant amount of people shift from subbing to PSA to subbing to SGC.

Regardless, this is a letdown. SGC had really been taking the boom in stride and seemed to be getting ahead of their growing pains. Will be interesting to see what happens next.
It's moot because Nat has said there's no deal, but you obviously are not familiar with the Clayton Act, the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, etc. People should not make pronouncements about the law when they don't know it. Many mergers and acquisitions have been challenged successfully by the government because they substantially lessened competition. So no, buying out a competitor is not "totally allowed," it depends.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-08-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:40 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Many mergers and acquisitions have been challenged successfully by the government because they substantially lessened competition. So no, buying out a competitor is not "totally allowed," it depends.
Would the heavy hand of government really come down to prevent a card grading service from eating up another one? Beckett is still out there, plus the new one (SCG or whatever), and entry into the market by a new entity is not prohibited by licenses or contracts that would stop them (for instance, a company can't automatically produce baseball cards without first obtaining licensing rights from MLB, the Players Association, and so on...)

Last edited by Mark17; 07-08-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Would the heavy hand of government really come down to prevent a card grading service from eating up another one? Beckett is still out there, plus the new one (SCG or whatever), and entry into the market by a new entity is not prohibited by licenses or contracts that would stop them (for instance, a company can't automatically produce baseball cards without first obtaining licensing rights from MLB, the Players Association, and so on...)
I would rather be on the defense side of this (now not happening) transaction for a variety of reasons including the low entry barriers you reference. I doubt it even meets the notification thresholds and I also doubt that even if the government looked at it, it would be challenged. My point was only to correct the egregious misstatement of the law, not to opine about this specific ((not happening) transaction.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-08-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
It's moot because Nat has said there's no deal, but you obviously are not familiar with the Clayton Act, the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, etc. People should not make pronouncements about the law when they don't know it. Many mergers and acquisitions have been challenged successfully by the government because they substantially lessened competition. So no, buying out a competitor is not "totally allowed," it depends.
I'm familiar with HSR and Clayton! Been doing lots of reading on anti-trust over the past few years. Very interesting field right now.
I don't see how this proposed merger would have been blocked by the FTC. An HSR filing would definitely be needed, given the size of PSA, but I doubt there's a denial of the proposal. The vast majority of mergers are approved, and this particular acquisition doesn't strike me one which would be flagged. There are several other legitimate competitors (BGS, CGC/CSG, HGA). PSA's pricing has not been manipulative (again, if anything, their pricing – often what the FTC has chosen to focus on in the past, though the Khan-led Commission may change that focus – has increased their competitor's business). This is a field which does not concern public welfare or essential services – another area where the FTC has been laissez-faire in the past decades. Additionally, recent upstarts have been able to grow, which can be construed as a lack of anti-competitive behavior (see: many of the contentions about the defensive acquisition of nascent firms by established technology giants as of late).

They would likely have just paid the filling fee, waited, and gotten approval. FTC/DOJ is still hands off for the most part, and they are looking to focus their efforts in a specific field.

Successful transactions with: t206kid, rootsearcher60, 36GoudeyMan, 53toppscollector, Scott L, horzverti, YazFenway08

Also on blowout! Same username.

Flippin my way to a PSA 1 Eddie Plank
Old 07-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

So why on earth, given that you have some understanding of this area, would you make a clearly wrong general statement like buying out a competitor is totally allowed? I am confused.

Not sure about HSR applying. There's a size of the transaction requirement that has to be satisfied before you get to size of the parties. I think it's 90 million or close to that.

Don't disagree, as I already wrote, that even if reviewed government not likely to take action.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-08-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I've been saying for a couple of years now that Apple Inc. should write AI software to grade cards. They would give PSA and SGC a run for their money. Their "Customer Service" would be #1 and there wouldn't be a backlog!

Last edited by rdwyer; 07-08-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:10 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
I've been saying for a couple of years now that Apple Inc. should write AI software to grade cards. They would give PSA and SGC a run for their money. Their "Customer Service" would be #1 and there wouldn't be a backlog!
Yeah but it would only work with an iphone app and an $800 piece of hardware that needs to be upgraded every two years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2021, 09:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
But they make up for it by honoring their own when confronted with proof of alteration.
Neither of them do that.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Neither of them do that.
Perhaps I wasn't clear but we have certainly seen PSA reaffirm its grade on cards outed by BODA.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

I go back to my original post that started this thread.

Why would PWCC tell a consignor that PSA was buying SGC and that PWCC's contract with SGC was being cancelled?

Is there an ulterior motive PWCC would have to tell a consignor this story that Nat is denying?
Old 07-09-2021, 04:39 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear but we have certainly seen PSA reaffirm its grade on cards outed by BODA.
BGS has done it a couple of times last year as well.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:09 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post

Why would PWCC tell a consignor that PSA was buying SGC and that PWCC's contract with SGC was being cancelled?

Is there an ulterior motive PWCC would have to tell a consignor this story that Nat is denying?
Probably Spoke Out of Place When he Shouldn’t have. A story usually always changes a little from each person it’s passed down to.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-09-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:44 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Probably Spoke Out of Place When he Shouldn’t have. A story usually always changes a little from each person it’s passed down to.
Maybe PWCC is not having s good time with PSA lately and is looking to shake the tree a bit???
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:58 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:

Maybe the actual info was lost in translation between the 5+ people it went through before being posted here.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:22 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Maybe the actual info was lost in translation between the 5+ people it went through before being posted here.
FWIW I spoke again to my friend who is the one who spoke to PWCC. So first of all not 5 + people did this go through, just once removed from the conversation.

He was getting ready to send cards to PWCC to be graded and listed on ebay when a PWCC employee named Aaron Hanan (Maybe some here know him) informed him that PWCC lost it's contract with SGC to have cards graded by them. The reason given was that PSA was buying SGC as I first reported.

Thus my friend did not send his cards to PWCC.

I don't think there can be much if anything "lost in translation" here. I don't mean to put out false information, rather I am just repeating information I received from my friend that I just reconfirmed today.

Maybe PWCC has some reason for telling my friend this, but I have no idea what that could be.

Will be interested to see the outcome of all of this.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:33 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
FWIW I spoke again to my friend who is the one who spoke to PWCC. So first of all not 5 + people did this go through, just once removed from the conversation.

He was getting ready to send cards to PWCC to be graded and listed on ebay when a PWCC employee named Aaron Hanan (Maybe some here know him) informed him that PWCC lost it's contract with SGC to have cards graded by them. The reason given was that PSA was buying SGC as I first reported.

Thus my friend did not send his cards to PWCC.

I don't think there can be much if anything "lost in translation" here. I don't mean to put out false information, rather I am just repeating information I received from my friend that I just reconfirmed today.

Maybe PWCC has some reason for telling my friend this, but I have no idea what that could be.

Will be interested to see the outcome of all of this.
A more believable reason would be due to their history of submitting altered cards in my opinion.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:41 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
A more believable reason would be due to their history of submitting altered cards in my opinion.
Boom I didn’t wanna say it but you said it perfectly.

As I’ve said before the guy spoke out of place not the gentleman’s friend the guy he spoke to at pwcc.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:06 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Hope so.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So after years of knowing what PWCC is and does, Dave suddenly cuts them off? That doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-09-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:40 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'm curious to see if the tin foil hat crowd has some substance here.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-10-2021, 08:29 AM
Johnny MaZilli

It’s Not Happening I commend SGC for standing strong and keeping their company!
Old 07-10-2021, 02:53 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Peter, I’ve been through three corporate mergers and in all three my managers emphatically denied there were any type of transaction in process. Of course, after the mergers ( I had still had jobs with two of three, at least for a “while”,), the word was these managers knew about the acquisitions but were sworn to secrecy under threat of litigation and were instructed to say the rumors were not true. Much of this, I am sure, was due to federal secrecy and non disclosure requirements...

Just my two cents from my past of misdirection and big money. Denials mean not a wholehelluva lot to me, no offense intended to anyone responding in this thread.
...whatever I want
Old 07-10-2021, 04:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmondobueno View Post
Peter, I’ve been through three corporate mergers and in all three my managers emphatically denied there were any type of transaction in process. Of course, after the mergers ( I had still had jobs with two of three, at least for a “while”,), the word was these managers knew about the acquisitions but were sworn to secrecy under threat of litigation and were instructed to say the rumors were not true. Much of this, I am sure, was due to federal secrecy and non disclosure requirements...

Just my two cents from my past of misdirection and big money. Denials mean not a wholehelluva lot to me, no offense intended to anyone responding in this thread.
Duly noted. It's unfortunate but in this world you have to just take a lot with a grain of salt.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:22 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmondobueno View Post

Was thinking the exact same thing.

Last edited by edhans; 07-11-2021 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-11-2021, 08:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I meant that neither company backs up any sort of guarantee. Even if they're completely wrong.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I meant that neither company backs up any sort of guarantee. Even if they're completely wrong.
SGC no longer even has one.