NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-12-2022, 12:37 PM
Chris Counts

Default Bugs are eating my pennants, seeking advice

Does anybody know what these bugs are? They've slowly been devouring my pennant collection, which I keep in hard plastic holders. All they seem to leave behind is what I've pictured here — I've never actually seen a living bug. Any advise is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bugs.jpg (78.0 KB, 375 views)
Old 02-12-2022, 02:33 PM
Hank Thomas

More pictures, please!
Old 02-12-2022, 03:46 PM
James M.

Maybe temporarily relocate all your collectables, and have an exterminator bug bomb your house? Worth a shot.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Might be "carpet beetles". Let's see some close-up pics of the actual damaged felt, with bite marks, holes, thin spots, etc.

Also... Do you have the hard pennant sleeves sitting on (or near) the floor? If so, the bugs can enter through the opening on the left side. I would elevate the sleeves and move them up higher right away.

Of the pennants I don't display, I store them in the long/flat/lidded plastic bins made to store wrapping paper. Available at any Target or Wal-Mart.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:27 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Does anybody know what these bugs are? They've slowly been devouring my pennant collection, which I keep in hard plastic holders. All they seem to leave behind is what I've pictured here — I've never actually seen a living bug. Any advise is appreciated.
I store and display mine in the basement so I have to take extra care. Even though I spray and clean often I have had a couple fall victim to tiny nips over the years. It seems as if felt pennants from the early 60s are the tastiest. So I seal those in their holders. I don’t know of another fool proof method.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:32 PM
Chris Counts

I don't have any carpet, but the pennants are stored on the ground in hard plastic holders. Thankfully, they've mostly damaged my football pennants — I would have been horrified if they had ruined any of my best baseball pennants. The bugs seem to come in from the side, and focus on the bottom of the pennant. I showed a photo of what they leave behind, which might be something they shed when they cease being a larvae. It's always between about a quarter and an eighth of an inch long, and it feels like a thin sliver of cardboard. Here's what an unfortunate Rams pennant looks like ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (55.0 KB, 312 views)
Old 02-12-2022, 09:17 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I don't have any carpet, but the pennants are stored on the ground in hard plastic holders. Thankfully, they've mostly damaged my football pennants — I would have been horrified if they had ruined any of my best baseball pennants. The bugs seem to come in from the side, and focus on the bottom of the pennant. I showed a photo of what they leave behind, which might be something they shed when they cease being a larvae. It's always between about a quarter and an eighth of an inch long, and it feels like a thin sliver of cardboard. Here's what an unfortunate Rams pennant looks like ...
Wow!
Old 02-12-2022, 11:24 PM
Marc

Clothes moth larvae?
Old 02-13-2022, 04:38 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
I store and display mine in the basement so I have to take extra care. Even though I spray and clean often I have had a couple fall victim to tiny nips over the years. It seems as if felt pennants from the early 60s are the tastiest. So I seal those in their holders. I don’t know of another fool proof method.
If you don't mind my asking, what do you spray and clean them with ? Mine are displayed in a basement as well.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:06 AM
Chris Counts

I believe we have a winner here. I Googled "cloth moth larvae" and found this photo. It looks like a match. So it appears these are basically cocoons that I'm finding. Does anybody here know how to get rid of these pests? I suppose eggs could be a problem, too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Clothes moth larvae?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clothes-Moths.jpg (73.2 KB, 255 views)
Old 02-13-2022, 08:35 AM
Scott Russell

moth balls
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-13-2022, 09:11 AM
Rob

Horrifying....What part of the country are you in? This is something I inspect my collection for about 4 times a year. I rotate my collection. I have about 50% in long plastic storage bins as Mark mentioned (also in soft sleeves) and the other half stacked off the floor. In the 5 years I've lived in Houston, I've had no evidence of problems...but don't want to let my guard down.

Just curious...How long had it been since you had last seen that Rams pennant intact (As a Rams collector, that one hits home)? Just wondering how quickly these creatures work.

Also...If you don't love your football pennants, I'm always looking (and hopefully buying).
Old 02-13-2022, 09:14 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
moth balls
What would be the most effective way to use these? Do you just place an open box in the room? Do you have to sprinkle them around. Hadn't even thought of moth balls in years...forgot they existed. Are they safe?
Old 02-13-2022, 09:20 AM
Chris Counts

I live on the Central California coast, which isn't a very buggy place compared to places I've been to back east. I have no idea fast these bugs work — it's probably been a year or two since I last looked at the Rams pennant ...
Old 02-13-2022, 09:51 AM
D@le Irv*n

Not saying/suggesting to use this directly on your pennants but you might want to try it on your carpet and other places in the house?
We've been using it for quite a few years, especially at our trailer, to keep spiders and other bugs away from our awnings, doors/screens and shed.

It isn't toxic and can be used indoors and out. We've found, even during rain, it lasts at least a couple months or longer.
https://www.glasshousenursery.ca/products/bugtek
https://sani-depot.ca/en/product/itp-bugtek-2/
Old 02-13-2022, 10:13 AM
Marc

For me, also near Houston, the issue has been silverfish. Mostly for those pennants hanging on the wall. No great way to get rid of them. I had a pennant get damaged a few years ago (like Greg said, an early 1960s pennant). They seem to like the spine the best. I check for them compulsively now. A few times per week (yes, that often). I have the pennants on the wall in hard plastic/top loaders. They are tacked to the wall in only two places, at the endpoint and upper corner. No tack on the bottom corner. You can then slide something thin underneath and take a peek (I use a plastic toy sword).

The other options seem to be to store them in something that bugs cannot enter. Or to seal the ends (with tape?). For some reason, I prefer tassels out as opposed to folded behind the pennants, so sealing doesn't work for me. I wish they would make longer/bigger toploaders. If they did, I would seal the end.

And I figured out they were clothes moths after the horror show of the Rams pennant left me unable to sleep. I just kept searching online until I found the likely culprit.

Last edited by bocca001; 02-13-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:29 AM
Ryan Phi

I have a pretty large collection of Persian carpets and whenever Im away from home, I store these in a dark closet and my local Persian carpet store has a special spray. If you have one of these carpet stores by you, you may want to call them. However the material in a carpet is different than a pennant but they both attract moths. You may need to "test" somewhere on the pennant to make sure there is not any further damage. Also, moth balls may not be the best thing to use either. For carpets, its a no-go.

Last edited by philo98; 02-13-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:40 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Chris:
I would give these a try. Click the link, and there's a video showing the moths killed by these traps (which look just like yours...)

https://www.amazon.com/POWERFUL-CLOT...0MEBNNZ2&psc=1

Also.... traditionally, people have used cedar as an insect repellent for years (remember cedar chests for storage?) I use cedar balls and/or discs in my pennant bins as an additional safeguard. I don't want to jinx it, but have never had a moth issue in 30 years of collecting ...

https://www.amazon.com/Homode-Aromat...15433446&psc=1

Hope this helps... And don't let them get anywhere near that Cap collection!!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-13-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post

And I figured out they were clothes moths after the horror show of the Rams pennant left me unable to sleep. I just kept searching online until I found the likely culprit.
Sorry, Marc, but that’s kind of funny.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:28 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
What would be the most effective way to use these? Do you just place an open box in the room? Do you have to sprinkle them around. Hadn't even thought of moth balls in years...forgot they existed. Are they safe?
If you can store the sleeves enclosed somewhere like a drawer or tub you just scatter a few around and close the drawer or put the lid on. They do leave a characteristic odor but that can be eliminated by airing them out for a few days if it bugs you, or you are going to sell.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-13-2022, 07:45 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

We put items in the freezer to kill the larvae.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:24 AM
Chris Counts

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to try a couple things suggested here, and I'lll let everybody know if it works.