NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-03-2023, 08:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Can anyone remember his last home run?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:16 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Can anyone remember his last home run?
August 23rd, was his last home run, Peter. I'm wondering if his torn UCL is contributing to his approach to the plate at all. Or if he's simply, going through the motions, knowing that the Angels won't make the playoffs and that he'll be somewhere else next season.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:13 AM

Since the injury, he's had 38 plate appearances, during which he had 8 hits, including 3 doubles and a triple, and 10 walks (4 intentional). He also stole 3 bases. OBP of 474 and OPS of 938. Wonder if he's taking something off his swing, while still producing at a reasonably high level.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:58 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
Since the injury, he's had 38 plate appearances, during which he had 8 hits, including 3 doubles and a triple, and 10 walks (4 intentional). He also stole 3 bases. OBP of 474 and OPS of 938. Wonder if he's taking something off his swing, while still producing at a reasonably high level.
I'm not sure that not hitting a Home Run in 28 bats is indicative of anything--he's been hitting the ball hard, its just been in play.

But who knows.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:19 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
I'm not sure that not hitting a Home Run in 28 bats is indicative of anything--he's been hitting the ball hard, its just been in play.

But who knows.
Any idea what Ohtani's longest stretch without a home run was this season before now? When Harper played most of last season after his elbow injury, he still hit for power so it seems like the injury itself shouldn't cause a home run drought, but if Ohtani has altered his swing because of it, there could be a connection to a power outage. However, over a long season, it could just be a brief anomaly.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:27 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Any idea what Ohtani's longest stretch without a home run was this season before now? When Harper played most of last season after his elbow injury, he still hit for power so it seems like the injury itself shouldn't cause a home run drought, but if Ohtani has altered his swing because of it, there could be a connection to a power outage. However, over a long season, it could just be a brief anomaly.
There was a period of time this year, where Harper was hitting the ball hard, but wasn't driving it into the seats. He's seemed to have made the proper adjustments and now that's no longer an issue however.

EDIT:

Figured I'd make an edit instead of a double post, granted it's Nightengale who isn't the most reliable, but he's reporting Ohtani might undergo TJ Surgery in 10 days.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...y/70757037007/

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 09-04-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I read somewhere that he went the last 22 games last season without a home run. I believe that his current "drought" is the longest he's had this season.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:30 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
There was a period of time this year, where Harper was hitting the ball hard, but wasn't driving it into the seats. He's seemed to have made the proper adjustments and now that's no longer an issue however.

EDIT:

Figured I'd make an edit instead of a double post, granted it's Nightengale who isn't the most reliable, but he's reporting Ohtani might undergo TJ Surgery in 10 days.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...y/70757037007/
Yes, Harper definitely did not hit for much power following his initial return fromTommyJohn surgery, but he definitely got his power stroke going in August.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ohtani has surgery before the season ends. The Angels are out of the playoff race so may as well have it done to minimize the amount of time he misses in 2024 with whatever team he ends up.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:30 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
I read somewhere that he went the last 22 games last season without a home run. I believe that his current "drought" is the longest he's had this season.
Ohtani had 30 straight at bats over a span of 8 games from August 4th through the 12th without a home run. His UCL tear was announced on the 23rd.

Yes, he ended last season with 22 straight games without a homer.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ohtani had 30 straight at bats over a span of 8 games from August 4th through the 12th without a home run. His UCL tear was announced on the 23rd.

Yes, he ended last season with 22 straight games without a homer.
He missed starts or exited early starting in early August, I think, so that's probably when he sustained the injury. I think it's pretty clearly affected his power but still perhaps a sample size thing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:37 PM
Charles Jackson

https://twitter.com/zh_sho_o_sy0Z2z/...826032510?s=20
Quote:
He missed starts or exited early starting in early August, I think, so that's probably when he sustained the injury. I think it's pretty clearly affected his power but still perhaps a sample size thing.
This article says he sustained the injury when pitching on August 23rd. I don't know if you can pitch with a torn UCL.

The article also says he may avoid Tommy John:

Balelo explained that when Ohtani sustained his UCL tear in 2018, the tear was at the top of his UCL. But this time, it’s at the base of his UCL and there’s no damage to the repaired UCL from the initial surgery. Balelo, though, wouldn’t get into specifics about the options for Ohtani surgery-wise. There is an operation with a shorter recovery time that involves using an internal elbow brace, but it’s unclear whether that’s on the table.

“Multiple doctors looked at this and said this is the best-case scenario for the situation we're in,” Balelo said. “The ligament itself and the graft that was put in with the ligament in 2018 is still intact, no problems. And that’s a real positive to take away from this.”

Balelo added that Ohtani will be ready to serve as DH to start the 2024 season, even if he gets an operation on the elbow. Ohtani had surgery on Oct. 1, 2018, and didn’t make his season debut in ‘19 until May 7, but Balelo said this time is different because of where the tear is in his elbow. But there is a chance Ohtani has the surgery before the end of the season to make sure he’s ready for the start of next season as a hitter.

Also, this video seems to show he might be in pain just from swinging a bat (or he slipped?)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 09-04-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:01 PM
Jay Shumsky

Apparently he's not playing Monday because of an oblique injury from batting practice so that's probably what's seen in the video posted above.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:07 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Apparently he's not playing Monday because of an oblique injury from batting practice so that's probably what's seen in the video posted above.
He is listed as day to day with an oblique injury.

He is still putting up some amazing numbers with his bat and speed.

Perhaps with this 2nd injury he should just shut it down the rest of season or take some extra days off to let his body recover

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-10-2023, 10:04 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

First not pitching and now been out 6 games as a DH

Feel bad both for him and their fans.

They thought they had him for at least the final 2 months to set records and attract fans to the game and now nothing and no trout.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-10-2023, 02:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

And now Trout may want out and the Angels are open to trading him.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:47 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
And now Trout may want out and the Angels are open to trading him.
Better late than never!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-10-2023, 02:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Better late than never!
I didn't read the stories but the headlines are weird, the Angels saying they are open to trading him IF he requests it. Sending a message maybe?

Old 09-10-2023, 03:10 PM
Dave

Quote:
I didn't read the stories but the headlines are weird, the Angels saying they are open to trading him IF he requests it. Sending a message maybe?

Angels in tear down mode. They're practically begging Trout to request a trade at this point.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Angels in tear down mode. They're practically begging Trout to request a trade at this point.
If in fact he is still basically intact, what a great opportunity for him to move to a contending team for the back end of his career. He could be Pujols in reverse in that respect.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:52 PM
Dave

Quote:
If in fact he is still basically intact, what a great opportunity for him to move to a contending team for the back end of his career. He could be Pujols in reverse in that respect.

That’s the thing. IS he intact? Trout hasn’t played close to a full season since 2019 (I don’t count 2020).

He hasn’t played an actual full season since 2016.

I think the Angels would trade him for any close to top 100 prospect, and not much else, if that team was willing to pick up his salary for the next 7 years.

They want HIM to ask for the trade, so they can save face with all the fans who can’t already tell the team is itching to dump him.

I think they’ll have a hard time finding a team who will take Trout off their hands, unless the Angels throw a lot of salary relief money in the pot…..and a lot more then the 30 million the Yankees got from the Marlins for Stanton.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
That’s the thing. IS he intact? Trout hasn’t played close to a full season since 2019 (I don’t count 2020).

He hasn’t played an actual full season since 2016.

I think the Angels would trade him for any close to top 100 prospect, and not much else, if that team was willing to pick up his salary for the next 7 years.

They want HIM to ask for the trade, so they can save face with all the fans who can’t already tell the team is itching to dump him.

I think they’ll have a hard time finding a team who will take Trout off their hands, unless the Angels throw a lot of salary relief money in the pot…..and a lot more then the 30 million the Yankees got from the Marlins for Stanton.
Hope springs eternal in baseball. He's a first tier HOFer and he's still only 32. Someone will take him.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-10-2023 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:31 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I think Trout would still get a good return in a trade. However, I agree with his health concerns they will not get as much as they could if he was healthier. I think he will produce for several more years but not at the Trout level we have seen from years past. And with his injury history he will not age well. But he will still be above most players for the next 3 years or so just a matter of how many games he will play.

Would still love to see Trout and Ohtani on other teams and see them getting chances to play in meaning full games in a playoff race and into the playoffs

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-11-2023, 08:53 AM

The question is what do you give up for a guy with his issues. I don't see a Top 100 prospect haul like the Nationals got for Soto. I'm thinking the return would be closer to what the Mariners got for Griffey. A middle of the pack decent future major leaguer like the Mariners got in Mike Cameron.

Last edited by packs; 09-11-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:42 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Yankees would sell a good bit of the farm for Trout, wouldn't they? Especially if the Angels paid some of the salary, which I think they will have to
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-11-2023, 09:59 AM
John I.

I will be furious if the Yankees get Trout. IMO he is over the hill in addition to being unable to stay healthy. The Yankees DO NOT need more big-contract oft-injured sluggers. And as for selling the farm they don't have much to sell.

Last edited by John1941; 09-11-2023 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:13 AM

I would not be interested in Trout as a Yankees fan. We already have to deal with Stanton. We've had to deal with Donaldson and Hicks and Ellsbury and Pavano and on and on.

No thank you. Not again.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:01 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I would not be interested in Trout as a Yankees fan. We already have to deal with Stanton. We've had to deal with Donaldson and Hicks and Ellsbury and Pavano and on and on.

No thank you. Not again.
+1 agree for all his greatness Trouts best years are behind, health a concern for last several years, and a contract that is huge.
I also do not see the Angels eating any of trouts contract but could be wrong.
And if someone gets him with a middle package could be a steal of a deal for a year or so if he can get a year or 2 of relative health. When he is healthy he still puts up some nice numbers

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-11-2023, 02:41 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

So Yankee fans don't want Trout...fair enough. Maybe Uncle Uncle Stevie can pay up and bring Trout to Queens. And hopefully Ohtani too
Old 09-11-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
So Yankee fans don't want Trout...fair enough. Maybe Uncle Uncle Stevie can pay up and bring Trout to Queens. And hopefully Ohtani too
Uncle Stevie can have Trout, but please leave Ohtani alone. If the baseball gods are smiling down on us fans, then it will be Ohtani to the Dodgers.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:27 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

hopefully Uncle Stevie stays away from Trout.
First he would have to trade away some assets and is just begin to rebuild the farm system and he would have to take over that contract on a great player that is getting up their in age and related health issue.
If fully healthy I would love to have him on my team but because of the health concerns I would prefer to stay away
Stevie better Sign Alonso to a long term contract and not trade him

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-12-2023, 07:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Alonso looks more and more like Adam Dunn. BA .222 right now.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:50 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Alonso looks more and more like Adam Dunn. BA .222 right now.
You are right Peter. With his batting average he is.

But the game has changed now where batting average is the outlier andpower numbers is what it about.

except for the special players like Acuna, Othani, Judge etc most players that put up 25 plus homers have high high strike outs and low averages.

But Alonso is hitting the homers over 40, hitting in RBI's over 100 and not many are near those number in the league and Alonso is been consistent with those types of numbers.

He is not a super star like some others and not putting up Olson, freeman numbers etc but he would be very very hard to replace his consistency and his production

For example
Most homers since 2018 190. 4th in all of MLB
Most RBI's since 2018 485. 11th in all of MLB.
most Runs since 2018 392. #31 in all of mlb

not bad for someone who is not hitting for average

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth

Last edited by mrreality68; 09-13-2023 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:09 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
You are right Peter. With his batting average he is.

But the game has changed now where batting average is the outlier andpower numbers is what it about.

except for the special players like Acuna, Othani, Judge etc most players that put up 25 plus homers have high high strike outs and low averages.

But Alonso is hitting the homers over 40, hitting in RBI's over 100 and not many are near those number in the league and Alonso is been consistent with those types of numbers.

He is not a super star like some others and not putting up Olson, freeman numbers etc but he would be very very hard to replace his consistency and his production

For example
Most homers since 2018 190. 4th in all of MLB
Most RBI's since 2018 485. 11th in all of MLB.
most Runs since 2018 392. #31 in all of mlb

not bad for someone who is not hitting for average
As Alonso's Rookie season was 2019, if you look at numbers since when he was a Rookie, they are even more impressive:

#1 in Home Runs with 190 (2nd best is Olson with 174)
#1 in RBIs (666 to Olson's 650)
#9 in Slugging
#14 in OPS
#14 in Runs
Old 09-13-2023, 06:56 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
As Alonso's Rookie season was 2019, if you look at numbers since when he was a Rookie, they are even more impressive:

#1 in Home Runs with 190 (2nd best is Olson with 174)
#1 in RBIs (666 to Olson's 650)
#9 in Slugging
#14 in OPS
#14 in Runs
wow, Dumb of me. But I was using 2018 because of many of the other top hitters.
But wow that is even more amazing.
I can deal with a lower batting average(still would prefer near .250) but with that consistency and production the Mets would be insane to lose him. Hard to replace those types of numbers

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-13-2023, 10:17 AM
Dave

So far, Alonso's strongest suit is his availability. Hasn't missed many games at all in his career.

That's worth a lot of money to any team right there...as long as he generally keeps up what he is doing offensively.

I'd like to see him cut down on the strikeouts and up the walks a bit...but I don't see a lot of players improving in those categories once they reach their late 20's.

They are what they are at this point, and that hole in their swings usually just gets bigger as they age.

Apparently he's a much better 1st baseman then Dunn, because it's stunning how much his defense kills Dunn's WAR numbers, looking at his baseball reference page.

I never saw Dunn play 1st base, but I saw Jason Giambi play 1st base for years...and Dunn's defensive metrics make Giambi look like a Don Mattingly or Keith Hernandez in comparison....and Giambi was a baaaaaad 1st baseman. Maybe he just looked awful to me after years of being spoiled by Don Mattingly and Tino Martinez...but he's the one who made me think that a good 1st baseman in under-rated in both defensive metrics and fans always claiming the worst fielders get put there because it's such an easy position....which I call bullshit on.

I grew up playing baseball, and the only two positions that scared me to play were catcher and 1st baseman. Maybe because I was a little kid, but I wanted no part of either one.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 09-13-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:42 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I'm glad someone mentioned Matt Olson. He is putting up unreal numbers this year:

.281/.388/.619 with 51 HR, 116 R, 128 RBI
Old 09-13-2023, 11:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm glad someone mentioned Matt Olson. He is putting up unreal numbers this year:

.281/.388/.619 with 51 HR, 116 R, 128 RBI
Acuna, Freeman, Betts and Olson are all having sensational seasons.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:34 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Acuna, Freeman, Betts and Olson are all having sensational seasons.
Agreed! Mookie got off to a slow start (for him) but has been fantastic. He and his infield eligibility have been carrying my fantasy team down the stretch
Old 09-13-2023, 11:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

His minor league cards show him as a second baseman. Trivia -- what HOF outfielder's RC shows him as a second baseman?

Old 09-13-2023, 11:41 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
His minor league cards show him as a second baseman. Trivia -- what HOF outfielder's RC shows him as a second baseman?
Yes, but I don't believe he ever played there in the majors until this season.

Good question...without knowing the era I probably won't get it...
Old 09-13-2023, 11:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes, but I don't believe he ever played there in the majors until this season.

Good question...without knowing the era I probably won't get it...
No clues yet.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:55 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
No clues yet.
Ooh, is it Ed Delahanty?
Old 09-13-2023, 12:09 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Are you talking about Yastrzemski's Rookie card? There are probably others.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Are you talking about Yastrzemski's Rookie card? There are probably others.
Yes.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:57 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

This says it all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3097.jpg (141.1 KB, 161 views)

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-13-2023, 12:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Call me old school but hard for me to get worked up about a guy batting .220.

Old 09-13-2023, 02:41 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Call me old school but hard for me to get worked up about a guy batting .220.
you are correct his batting average is bad but he is a career .253 batting average.
And this current era of baseball is more about power than average. And this is sadly the era when strike outs are very high amongst most baseball players and no one really cares.
Adam Dunn always gets blasted for his high strike outs and you do not year those some things nowadays

Matt Olson has 155 strikeouts(10th overall) on the season with weeks to go. Kyle Schwarber has 190 strikeouts(1st overall)

Peter alonso has 128(48th overall)

Almost all the top home run hitters this year accept the True Top Players have high strikeouts and below average batting average

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-13-2023, 03:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Baseball has never loved guys like Dunn, Kingman, Rob Deer, Gorman Thomas, and so on and so on with high HRs, high Ks and low BA. Jeff you say it's more accepted now but is it? The overall impact should still be the same, whether you measure it by WAR or something else.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

What gets me is that strikeouts are treated as if they are meaningless for a batter, a not very significant measure and it's okay to rack up 150-200 of them.

Yet, they are treated as very important, one of the most important measures, for a pitcher.

As this is a direct adversarial relationship, this doesn't make sense. If a particular outcome of a plate appearance is really important positively for a pitcher, it is really bad for a batter and vice versa.

I don't so much care that we either go back to not liking batter strikeouts or not, but this should be consistent.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:49 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Baseball has never loved guys like Dunn, Kingman, Rob Deer, Gorman Thomas, and so on and so on with high HRs, high Ks and low BA. Jeff you say it's more accepted now but is it? The overall impact should still be the same, whether you measure it by WAR or something else.
I don't know that we can lump Pete Alonso into the group of high strikeout/low average folks you mentioned, just yet.

His career WAR of 17.6 in 4.5 seasons is already almost as high as the career totals for Dunn (17.9), Thomas (19.8), and is higher than Kingman (17.3), Deer (13.8).

This got me thinking though, so I put together the below table to compare and added a few other sluggers (Howard, Kiner, Ortiz, and Thome).

A few things jumped out: Alonso's Strikeout to At-bat rate of 26% is lower than most others. But his walk rate is per Plate Appearance is lower than all of them except Kingman.

His HR/AB is the highest, and is actually even higher this year at 8.9%.

What I fear is that because he is a very large man, he may not age well. And he started his career relatively late, getting to the majors at age 24. Thome is a large man who aged well, but many think he did Roids. Same for Ortiz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlonsoVs.PeersV3.jpg (153.0 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 09-13-2023 at 05:26 PM.