NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-13-2023, 02:57 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Fake 68 Ryans?

Hello, I don’t normally do this, but in the situation I could use some help. Does anybody see any red flags with either of these two just based on the picture? I know it’s hard to tell without seeing them in person, but just wondered if there was anything egregious that I am missing. I’m going to be meeting the seller later tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2023, 03:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Are these supposed to be Milton Bradleys?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:03 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

They don’t have them advertised as such, but I did notice the white strip on the left, is that synonymous with Milton Bradley? Or do any of the regular Topps Ryan cards have that white strip?

Old 09-13-2023, 03:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'm not saying they are or are not real as the pics aren't really good enough to pass judgement, but the white strip is not a concern.

Attached is a Milton Bradley sheet and one of the Topps slits (I don't have the other slit saved). Ryan is a row header card, the white strip indicates an MB, the top of Ernie Ladd's football card.

These sheets are not mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968 Milton Bradley Sheet.jpg (195.7 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 1968 Topps Series 2 Slit.jpg (116.3 KB, 240 views)
Old 09-13-2023, 03:29 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

The partial black line under the Ryan pic, I don't recall that being a thing with a number of ones I have looked at.

But I am certainly no expert here. They look washed but the pictures ares not that great for sure.

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 09-13-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Do I see white strips on BOTH sides of the cards though (look closely), as well as at the top of one?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-13-2023 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:36 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Do I see white strips on BOTH sides of the cards though (look closely), as well as at the top of one?
Sure seems like white stripes on both sides. It looks like a reflection on the top of the top one. Hard to tell.....

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:37 PM

It’s a little weird they seem to be so identical. I’d worry about it being two of the same card too.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It’s a little weird they seem to be so identical. I’d worry about it being two of the same card too.
Look at the mark over Koosman's head on one but not the other, I don't think they're identical, unless it's some kind of artifact.

Old 09-13-2023, 03:44 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
The partial black line under the Ryan pic, I don't recall that being a thing with a number of ones I have looked at.

But I am certainly no expert here. They look washed but the pictures ares not that great for sure.

Butch
Yeah, that black line on both is really weird. A lot of MB's seem to be cut with a small bottom border, but some with a bigger border than those don't have any line or marking there. And they do look washed out in these pics...definitely worth the op being extra cautious.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:49 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

That was the first thing I looked at, and I see differing irregularities on both, including a smudge left of Koosman on the top one.

Old 09-13-2023, 03:51 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post

Butch

I hadn’t noticed that black line on both when posting. Thank you for pointing that out, Butch. I’ll be anxious to take a deeper look at that and verify the yellow color on the back in person.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
They don’t have them advertised as such, but I did notice the white strip on the left, is that synonymous with Milton Bradley? Or do any of the regular Topps Ryan cards have that white strip?

Joe, not to sound harsh, but if you don't know this issue well, perhaps you should just steer clear of this one as there seem to be questions just from the scans?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-13-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A larger than perfect cut Ryan MB can have white on both sides (the vehicle card above, Ernie Ladd below), the sheets have no 'extra' burlap on those sides so even a tiny fraction of cutting off will show white. It is often a warning sign of trimming if a Ryan doesn't have any white border.

The black line is not known to print defect dorks (not to my knowledge at least, who am I to speak for everyone...) and doing a quick search online, I can't find a picture of one with it.

The pictures are not good enough to really judge. If it is a legit print defect it wouldn't be weird to have 2 of them if they came from the same box originally (a defect usually occurs on X numbers of sheets run before it is fixed or something changes on the press to accidentally fix it) and this is an old collection. It certainly doesn't seem to be a common defect though.

I would be a bit wary, more for the black line.

EDIT: The white border at top is too close to the black frame around Ryan to be real (unless it is glare or something). I will amend my opinion to say this is a fake instead of maybe a fake.

Last edited by G1911; 09-13-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
A larger than perfect cut Ryan MB can have white on both sides (the vehicle card above, Ernie Ladd below), the sheets have no 'extra' burlap on those sides so even a tiny fraction of cutting off will show white. It is often a warning sign of trimming if a Ryan doesn't have any white border.

The black line is not known to print defect dorks (not to my knowledge at least, who am I to speak for everyone...) and doing a quick search online, I can't find a picture of one with it.

The pictures are not good enough to really judge. If it is a legit print defect it wouldn't be weird to have 2 of them if they came from the same box originally (a defect usually occurs on X numbers of sheets run before it is fixed or something changes on the press to accidentally fix it) and this is an old collection. It certainly doesn't seem to be a common defect though.

I would be a bit wary, more for the black line.
I don't recall seeing a MB Ryan with white on both sides, and I've seen a lot. Not saying you couldn't be right, but how likely is it TWO of them would show up at the same time with the same seller?

Old 09-13-2023, 04:11 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Neither card looks real to me. Why is it being photographed in toploaders? Why does the brown burlap look washed out? Why are there multiple borders showing white on a single card? If the card was 2.5x3.5, even if it was a Milton Bradley, it would only have white showing on one edge.

If I was trying to buy these online, I would only do so if they passed with a number grade at SGC (cheaper and faster than PSA at $15/card now). If you offered that to the seller, and they balked at submitting them to a grading company, you have your answer.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Neither card looks real to me. Why is it being photographed in toploaders? Why does the brown burlap look washed out? Why are there multiple borders showing white on a single card? If the card was 2.5x3.5, even if it was a Milton Bradley, it would only have white showing on one edge.

If I was trying to buy these online, I would only do so if they passed with a number grade at SGC (cheaper and faster than PSA at $15/card now). If you offered that to the seller, and they balked at submitting them to a grading company, you have your answer.
You mean just because the seller wants to meet in a parking lot for a cash deal you're suspicious?

Old 09-13-2023, 04:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I don't recall seeing a MB Ryan with white on both sides, and I've seen a lot. Not saying you couldn't be right, but how likely is it TWO of them would show up at the same time with the same seller?
You'll see them sometimes. I used to have one I traded away, I might still have a scan, I will check for it. It was just well-centered but slightly oversized; most Ryan MB's are not well centered

I say the card is 100% fake because the white border at top is too close to the black frame around Ryan to be real.

Having 2 cards with the same print defect line and cut slightly large isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself; if they were in the same box set they were cut off consecutive or nearly consecutive sheets. It's the above that seals the deal for me.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:51 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

They almost appear to have another Card or piece of paper underneath them ,
LOL these may be really bad - like a copied reverse side pasted ...
Old 09-13-2023, 05:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Didn't fully read all of the responses, so it may have been mentioned, but the MB Ryan/Kooz card has a telltale sign, a black mark in the lower part of the 'T' in "STARS" (see pic below). The posted pic doesn't show this at all, and the pics themselves really look fake at first glance, just not right (too light, too bland, etc.). I would stay the eff away.

***I AM NOT AN EXPERT***

Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 4.13.40 PM.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 09-13-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Thanks for the additional tip JollyElm.

Old 09-13-2023, 05:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

In the style of Darren and a poor imitation

CRAIGLISTITIS: meeting a seller at a dubious location with a bag of cash when it's clear as day the goods are fake

Old 09-13-2023, 05:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
In the style of Darren and a poor imitation

CRAIGLISTITIS: meeting a seller at a dubious location with a bag of cash when it's clear as day the goods are fake
Well, I do have a brand new round of 'Collectorisms' coming (hopefully tomorrow or Friday), and in it you will find:

Craigslast
When a list is compiled, from best to worst, of platforms you can trust to successfully conduct collectibles commerce on, it is rather obvious which site will always occupy the space at the very bottom.

Now, we take you back to your regularly scheduled thread...

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 09-13-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:31 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Just saw them. Horrible fakes in person. A fake 69 ryan as well. He even had a fake 86 topps traded bonds, lol.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:00 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
Just saw them. Horrible fakes in person. A fake 69 ryan as well. He even had a fake 86 topps traded bonds, lol.

Please tell me you took a picture of the fake 86 Bonds, for some reason that’s hilarious. I didn’t know they even existed
Old 09-13-2023, 07:18 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Fake 68 Ryans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Please tell me you took a picture of the fake 86 Bonds, for some reason that’s hilarious. I didn’t know they even existed

I didn’t but the 69 Topps Ryan fake was so bad that it was basically a xeroxed copy of a card in bad condition. It had a picture of a dog eared corner that felt smooth if that makes sense. It had a picture of a crease, but you couldn’t feel the crease. I kept telling him how fake it was, and he just kept saying how he was going to submit it for grading. I just shook my head and was like, peace!

Last edited by 4reals; 09-13-2023 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:01 AM

In the past… sense of touch for me is the dead giveaway of knowing it’s a fake.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:12 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
In the past… sense of touch for me is the dead giveaway of knowing it’s a fake.
Don't forget the smell!

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel