NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2023, 07:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
You're lying because you are making a blatantly false claim that any reasonable person would know is false. The cards are absolutely not meant to deceive. Look at their site and listings for 5 seconds. There is no chicanery or dishonesty. Even a complete moron can separate these in 1 second from 'real' cards. They make no secret whatsoever they are modern creations, in fact they do the opposite of pretend they are period.

They don't even brew beer; it's a fake brand for a design. Clue #1,000 that's it is not from 1910? Duh.

This is not difficult to figure out. As always we have a couple people bullshitting with a clearly false narrative
Yes but you are never wrong.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:10 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Nothing is "rare" or "collectible" about a laser printed art card.

Why use the name Helmar? They are not trying to pivot off the tobacco name?

Asking for a fiend...(sic)

Atrempt at Fraud plain and simple.

I don't have to look at their website and claims, just the product and how it's marketed

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-16-2023, 07:17 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes but you are never wrong.
Feel free to point out any claim to fact that is false. Go ahead.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:18 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Nothing is "rare" or "collectible" about a laser printed art card.

Why use the name Helmar? They are not trying to pivot off the tobacco name?

Asking for a fiend...(sic)

Atrempt at Fraud plain and simple.

I don't have to look at their website and claims, just the product and how it's marketed

What? What does this have to do with the claim that the maker of these cards is intending to deceive and defraud people?

Each card is generally scarce in that there are only a handful or so, as I understand it. Collectible? Seems that they are, in fact, collectible as they sell of pretty strong prices a lot of the time. I don't collect them, they aren't my thing, but again there is an actual reality in the world outside of what I like and don't like, and my opinions do not change definable reality.

Considering they are putting ads for an imaginary Helmar Brewing product on the back, I'd say obviously not. You won't look at their claims or website, as you slander them with false claims of defrauding people, of course.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Feel free to point out any claim to fact that is false. Go ahead.
I never said anything was false. I do absolutely love how you carefully pick what to answer and what to completely ignore in your responses.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:35 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Put the pipe down dude. I think it is Time for your nap

Anyone can waste their money however they like.

Deceiving people using a 100 year old tobacco name for 100 year old baseball players made weekly with limited runs and no date. Claiming they are using a "notable name" since helmer brewing won an award once and call it art.

Unlicensed use of players and copying card designs. Maybe they are public domain, maybe it's illegal use. I'm sure st least ONE.person ONCE thought these were vintage

Old 12-16-2023, 07:42 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

OK did 1 second of research

This is being sold as a "t206"

No date of production listed anywhere

But it ain't a t206, just in the style of one.

Good night

Old 12-16-2023, 07:48 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I've never seen a complaint about somebody buying one. Just people complaining about why they wouldn't. Two opposite camps like everything else in the world. And yes I understand both sides, (I know that's rare)

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 12-16-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:59 PM
Rob

The tea stains rest their case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterup.jpg (71.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg batterhey.jpg (201.5 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg batterheyb.jpg (2.8 KB, 122 views)
Old 12-16-2023, 08:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
OK did 1 second of research

This is being sold as a "t206"

No date of production listed anywhere

But it ain't a t206, just in the style of one.

Good night

Jesus Christ. So the issuer of the cards is intentionally making their cards to deceive if someone sells a card on eBay without stating the year of production.

By this logic, every single maker of cards ever is intentionally deceiving people. Can we just think for 5 seconds before making ridiculous claims?
Old 12-16-2023, 08:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I never said anything was false. I do absolutely love how you carefully pick what to answer and what to completely ignore in your responses.
Okay, if there's nothing false how am I wrong? I love how you make wild claims and can never defend them or come anywhere near an ascertainable fact.
Old 12-17-2023, 01:39 PM
Ray VDB

Quote:
They don't even brew beer, it's made up to sell Laser printed cards.
I don't want to get sucked into the debate too deeply as I see both sides (though I am firmly in the pro-Helmar camp), however I felt the need to clarify that yes they used to brew beer back in the early 2000's out of Michigan. They started as a beer and potato chip company and included cards in the packages of chips and used baseball images on the beer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmar Beer.jpg (62.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 12-17-2023, 02:07 PM
qualitycards

& besides Beer, they made snacks too!
Here's an unopened bag that's on ebay (not mine)

Old 12-17-2023, 04:14 PM
J@mes In.gram

This might provide some clarification:

"Since 2005, Helmar Brewing Co., headquartered in the Detroit, Michigan area, has been owned by Charles Mandel. Helmar is an old brand name from the early 1900s. Mandel purchased the rights to the name, and for the past 18 years has included limited-production cards as premiums with purchases of micro-brew beer, potato chips, and snack items. A staff of 7 produces the cards, including Mandel himself, and 5 artists. The cards are produced using vintage printing, ink and art techniques. They are sought after by modern collectors due to their high-quality, and command high resale value.

Banty Red Tobacco & Ale Co., operating out of Grayslake, Illinois, is under the ownership of Phil Apostle, a former collector turned manufacturer. Apostle sold a fortune in baseball cards and memorabilia in order to fulfill his dream of producing his own cards. After selling his own collection, he acquired an extensive collection of photographic negatives of ballplayers from the "golden era" of baseball. These cards are made by hand in very limited numbers, most only 1 or 2 cards each. With photographic imagery not found on any other cards, and in high quality, they sell immediately upon issue, often in the hundreds of dollars."

There is no intent to deceive, at least as far a card production is concerned, even though they may be labeled as t206 or whatever; that just refers to the size of the cards for reference and comparison purposes to genuine vintage cards. Anyone with any knowledge of vintage cards will know that these are cards have never before been issued before. The ageing, rounded corners, and scuff marks are all in the spirit of making them look and feel old. But they are what they are. They fill a niche in the hobby; a way to get some old-looking cards without necessarily going to the poor house. I don't believe I have ever seen a graded example of even one of these cards. That's not what they are about, either. They are not for everyone. But if you are into old-time baseball, they can be quite interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1917 Helmar Vick Front.jpg (68.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 1917 Helmar Vick Back.jpg (68.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DiMaggio Helmar Front.jpg (102.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DiMaggio Helmar Back.jpg (75.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg capitol mickey mantle front.jpg (120.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg capitol mickey mantle back.jpg (112.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg capitol capitol pee wee reese front.jpg (113.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg capitol capitol pee wee reese back.jpg (121.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg capitol willie mays front.jpg (140.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg capitol willie mays back.jpg (122.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg foxx banty red front.jpg (84.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg foxx banty red back.jpg (143.1 KB, 95 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-17-2023, 04:55 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Van View Post
I don't want to get sucked into the debate too deeply as I see both sides (though I am firmly in the pro-Helmar camp), however I felt the need to clarify that yes they used to brew beer back in the early 2000's out of Michigan. They started as a beer and potato chip company and included cards in the packages of chips and used baseball images on the beer.
If those are yours feel free to look at them, they are created by Michigan Brewing Company, a company since out of business that did small subcontracted runs of decorative label items. Somewhat like the days of Billy beer.

Helmar was never a brewer, nor need they have much distribution if any in my knowledge. I live a couple miles from the home Helmar used as their business address and can say I never once saw any of these products. This is why you will never see either with a price tag. They were extremely limited marketing items to build the brand of cards, not the other way around.

It is fine to like them, but disingenuous to represent as true history that this was the original distribution method. This has been discussed over the years very early on.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:42 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I think also some of the not made to deceive folks are relying a ton on current day (which I am happy and excepting of when dated) and not the numerous early Helmar designs and listing practices like the legendary Cap Anson Padlock threads that fooled quite a few on this site as I remember...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0342.jpeg (46.3 KB, 73 views)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 12-18-2023 at 07:45 AM.