NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 02-17-2024, 12:43 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Broke my normal pattern to win these three. I don't care about slabs and bust free anything that isn't in my trade bait box, so I usually don't win anything graded over a 3. The silvers are my favorite set, and I'm building a couple sets of it, one as nice as I can get and one as beater as I can get (which is a ton of fun to do and incredibly cheap).

This set was listed last year, I won the James J. Corbett and since then the others have slowly sold. The final ones were put up at auction instead of BIN's, I put in what I thought of as lowball bids on everything, under the previously sold cards by a fair bit. Erne was $103, Carney $126, Choyinski $271. I thought I might get Erne because the card is obviously short.

This set has sequentially serialized PSA slabs (James J. Corbett's is different) and has been the registry set for a long time. I've assumed the cards came from a find of 24 cards (there was no Donovan in this set), presumably from a scrapbook based on some of the backs, but I don't know. Some size variance is normal in T220 silver; I don't fully understand why (because of the large margins on the sheet above and below the cards), but naturally short top/bottom cards tend to be those in the top row, especially Jordan. This Erne, in hand, is very short. Erne is also a top row card (the others are Frayne, Burke, and the James J. Corbett extreme SP rarity) and frequently found short top/bottom, but this is a bit extreme of a variance and it gives me some doubts this collection is unaltered.

I figured I'd throw them into my trade bait bin if I won anything, but I might crack them all out for my set now as I am not confident these are unaltered, it is very difficult to examine them properly without being able to directly handle, and I do not believe 2 of them to be accurate grades. I tend to find most cards graded in this set to be 1-2 grades inflated, they are very very generous on this issue and forgiving of corner damage, slight missing paper at corners, and even tiny corner creases. I would call my set mostly EX/EX-MT now, with a couple VG/EX's the graders would call 5-6 and a VG Donovan. The Choyinski here is the closest to an actual 7 if unaltered. They are still very nice condition and would go well in my main set of silvers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2154.jpg (213.7 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Carney 7.jpg (46.8 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg Choyinski 7.jpg (49.9 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Erne 7.jpg (56.7 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by G1911; 02-17-2024 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:44 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Owen Moran here makes for 42 out of the 50 Red Sun cards down. Realistically, I am only going to be able to go for a set of the 46 white boys. T226 probably has one of the more unusual sheet layouts, but I have made no success in deducing how this all worked at a production level.

Narrows my realistic want list down to just Jem Driscoll, Stanley Ketchell, Bert Keyes, and Harry Stone. I would like to eventually pick up a baseball type card just to go with the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (193.3 KB, 235 views)
Old 03-02-2024, 12:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

And some more silvers. They will be cracked out shortly, and I knew the condition when I bought them, but the Burke has got to be one of the worst 4's I have seen in awhile from a 'reputable' grader. The top right corner is so dented that is missing a small piece of it. There is a deep creasing indent in all four sides, 1 of which is severe on the back. Probably why I got it for only $29
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2249.jpg (194.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2250.jpg (196.5 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2251.jpg (197.4 KB, 209 views)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

This one ran $635, which is a rather high price for a T219 Johnson in Good grade and I was hoping to get for a bit less. The green backs are somewhere in the vicinity of 3-5x tougher than the black backs though, and this puts me at 49/50 on them. I only need Willie Lewis with the Honest Long cut Green back and Jack Sullivan with a Miners Extra back before I am down to only some of the Red Cross cards to go. That's going to take decades to finish this 200 card master set....

Note that the T219 adds in his victory over Jeffries into the fight record. A lot of the cards have slight amendments to the text to shorten them a little bit, but only Jeffries and Johnson have additional information added to their cards from the source T218 write-ups. The Joe Jeannette oddly follows the Hassan 30 no series notation back, not the later corrected print runs even though the T219 is 8+ months later in the timeframe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2252.jpg (200.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2253.jpg (204.4 KB, 197 views)
Old 03-10-2024, 02:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Added 2 Coburn's to compete for my beater set I'm building alongside a very nice condition set, the PSA noting an imaginary variation and the GAI not noting the silver. The 1.5 seems awfully generous with those huge creases, the PSA 1 has a tear rather than a crease. I think the GAI is the one for my beater set.

It's been awhile since I've had a GAI slab to crack to open. I'm not a grading fan, but it seems to me the best holders ended up losing the grading battles of the 2000's. GAI took the black frame inserts people like with SGC and added the handy feature where the slip wraps around the top, and tells you the card, set and grade on top of the holder as well as the front, so that in a stack you can quickly pull a specific card out. Kind of surprised nobody later copied this idea. Beckett has the cases built like a tank for more protection, and more detailed grading, but has faded from their initial gains and is a smaller player even in modern now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coburn.jpg (197.0 KB, 164 views)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Had to get this one to go with the unique thin copy of the Muldoon I got last month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2319.jpg (212.5 KB, 142 views)
Old 03-16-2024, 08:20 AM
John Wondowski

My new favorite boxing card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img376.jpg (193.1 KB, 136 views)
Old 03-17-2024, 08:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This one ran $635, which is a rather high price for a T219 Johnson in Good grade and I was hoping to get for a bit less. The green backs are somewhere in the vicinity of 3-5x tougher than the black backs though, and this puts me at 49/50 on them. I only need Willie Lewis with the Honest Long cut Green back and Jack Sullivan with a Miners Extra back before I am down to only some of the Red Cross cards to go. That's going to take decades to finish this 200 card master set....

Note that the T219 adds in his victory over Jeffries into the fight record. A lot of the cards have slight amendments to the text to shorten them a little bit, but only Jeffries and Johnson have additional information added to their cards from the source T218 write-ups. The Joe Jeannette oddly follows the Hassan 30 no series notation back, not the later corrected print runs even though the T219 is 8+ months later in the timeframe.
Got $8500 sitting around? You can have the Red Cross too.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...orn-expo-more/

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-17-2024, 09:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Got $8500 sitting around? You can have the Red Cross too.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...orn-expo-more/
Do I have it sitting around? Yes!

Do I want to spend that much on a single boxing card? Yikes! But maybe! I've come close to that before.

Is this that boxing card? Probably not!

I don't think any of the batch will sell at those prices, but what do I know. I was interested enough to sign up for the early notice on it three years ago and still want it. Who knows which of us will end up with it. I doubt I will, the problem for me is the Johnson only has value to me as a set builder rather than an investment or Jack Johnson piece. It's the last T218/T219/C52 family Johnson I need for the master run. I'm confident David will get a very strong price for it
Old 03-19-2024, 12:19 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

On the complete opposite end of the price spectrum, when I see the poster and album cuts cheap I'm grabbing them to go alongside my Ginter boxing set. These two are from the advertising poster. I still need a Jimmy Carroll N28 card to finish the N28/N29's, one will come along soon enough.

Smith was a British champion, Lannon a gatekeeper type. Both were not the scientific type of pugilist, Lannon is probably most known for being one of Sullivan's more frequent partners for staged exhibitions than for any of his real fights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2333.jpg (188.2 KB, 305 views)