NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2024, 10:09 AM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
But their reputation probably won't stop me from bidding again if I see something I really want that I can't get somewhere else. Sort of like the collectibles version of "Too big to fail." If consignors keep giving them cool stuff, I'll hold my nose and cross my fingers.
I see this comment often, but how often does an auction house truly have something that is so rare that it overcomes a negative reputation? In all the years Memory Lane has been running auctions they only had one item that I had to have enough for me to hold my nose.

Goldin has never had an item that was so rare and desirable that I would win it from them.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:21 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Mark, to quote one of my favorite legal quotes, and it may have been (gasp) Robert Bork, just because there's a slippery slope doesn't mean you have to ski it to the bottom. Yes, your example feels sleazy, despite the no harm.
Glad you both brought up this topic, because I had discussed a similar scenario with friends at a card show this weekend.

My scenario was an auction house wants to sell a signed Ty Cobb bat in the future. No current comps for that piece, so the AH puts a fake listing in their next auction to get a comp. The fake listing sells, the buyer doesn't get it, bingo, comp for a future auction. Again, from reading this thread, most would not have a problem with this, because legally, no one is harmed.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:24 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
I doubt there will be much reputational consequence.
Concur, onto the next auction!
Old 05-20-2024, 10:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Concur, onto the next auction!
LOL. Not for me, but I wasn't bidding before either.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:14 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

If the consignors aren’t made whole I hope there would be some reluctance to do business with them.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
If the consignors aren’t made whole I hope there would be some reluctance to do business with them.
I would think there's very little chance ML is not going to make them whole.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:41 AM
Chase

Quote:
I too think ML will make consignors whole. If they have to come out of pocket for this that price to pay is much smaller...I think...than if they decided to not make consignors whole and the hit they would take to their rep. However it appears there are many on here who might still do business with them in light of that.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I think you have a flawed idea of an attorney's job. He isn't there to advise you to do what's in your best interest.

What if my best interest is to burn my business down to collect insurance? My attorney will tell me, hey, moron, that's a bad idea.

Attorneys on the board please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine your duty to your client involves giving them sound legal advice, not merely telling them what they want to hear.
Broadly speaking, yes. I spend a great deal of my time, professionally speaking, advising clients about things that may subject them to criminal or civil liability. The obvious ones are easy. There are many situations where the answer is less of a black and white and more of a risk-reward assessment. My job in those cases is to advise the client on the pitfalls of each approach. Either way, the client has the final say and does whatever he or she wants. In other words 'my lawyer told me to' is a cop-out defense. I see it all the time with insurers when they are sued for bad faith and they assert an advice of counsel defense. That might get you clear of some aspects that require intent, but even then there is a limit on how credible it is as a defense. I don't see many murderers getting by on an advice of counsel defense. ML might as well try the Steve Martin defense instead:

You say, “Steve.. what do I say to the tax man when he comes to my door and says, ‘You.. have never paid taxes’?” Two simple words. Two simple words in the English language:

“I forgot!”

How many times do we let ourselves get into terrible situations because we don’t say “I forgot”? Let’s say you’re on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, “I forgot armed robbery was illegal.” Let’s suppose he says back to you, “You have committed a foul crime. you have stolen hundreds and thousands of dollars from people at random, and you say, ‘I forgot’?” Two simple words:

"Excuuuuuse me!!“

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-20-2024 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:10 PM
Scott Russell

I am confused by the false equivalencies being posted.

How can people not understand the difference between intentionally operating in bad faith (posting a fake listing to drum up business, or create a comp point) and operating in good faith and having something go horribly wrong?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-20-2024, 01:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I am confused by the false equivalencies being posted.

How can people not understand the difference between intentionally operating in bad faith (posting a fake listing to drum up business, or create a comp point) and operating in good faith and having something go horribly wrong?
I don't think anyone credible is saying that the auctioneer was not operating in good faith and did not have something go horribly wrong. The disagreement is about what the auctioneer did after something went horribly wrong. The choice there was really simple: let bidders think they will get the cards they win or end the lots and not let bidders think they will get the cards they win. Me, personally, I choose the route that doesn't involve misleading innocent people. I don't see why that is a big stretch.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-20-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I don't think anyone credible is saying that the auctioneer was not operating in good faith and did not have something go horribly wrong. The disagreement is about what the auctioneer did after something went horribly wrong. The choice there was really simple: let bidders think they will get the cards they win or end the lots and not let bidders think they will get the cards they win. Me, personally, I choose the route that doesn't involve misleading innocent people. I don't see why that is a big stretch.
My thought's exactly...it's not a big stretch.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:41 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I think the one wrinkle is that maybe there was a chance that ML recovers the items before the auction ends, or shortly thereafter?

I realize that hope springs eternal, and hope is not much of a strategy, but it's not completely crazy to proceed on that basis. Of course, once you head down the road of not shutting it down, it gets a lot more exciting the closer you get to the end of the auction without having recovered the items.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 05-20-2024, 02:19 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Glad you both brought up this topic, because I had discussed a similar scenario with friends at a card show this weekend.

My scenario was an auction house wants to sell a signed Ty Cobb bat in the future. No current comps for that piece, so the AH puts a fake listing in their next auction to get a comp. The fake listing sells, the buyer doesn't get it, bingo, comp for a future auction. Again, from reading this thread, most would not have a problem with this, because legally, no one is harmed.
A few years ago, in a thread regarding shill bidding, we discussed this notion of fake comps (items bid up by shill bidders who don't pay,) and then the general outcry was that everyone was harmed by the false value information it put into the market.

But now the standard seems to have shifted, for some, to "No harm, no foul."

Shill (fake) bidding is bad; phantom auction items are okay. And what's weird is, only half of us see the hypocrisy.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
A few years ago, in a thread regarding shill bidding, we discussed this notion of fake comps (items bid up by shill bidders who don't pay,) and then the general outcry was that everyone was harmed by the false value information it put into the market.

But now the standard seems to have shifted, for some, to "No harm, no foul."

Shill (fake) bidding is bad; phantom auction items are okay. And what's weird is, only half of us see the hypocrisy.
The no harm no foul was not proposed (at least by me) as some general overarching standard applying universally to every possible situation, and my answer to your hypothetical made that clear. It was proposed as a reason under the unique circumstances of this case what ML did in response to a no win situation was not "fraud." Was it a bad look, of course. As Scott writes, do people here really have no ability to see nuance and complexity and are able to think and live only in terms of black and white rigid rules and standards?

So your "gotcha" is a straw man as far as I am concerned. I'm more than content to take each situation on its terms, guided by general principles but not inflexible ones.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2024 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:58 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
The no harm no foul was not proposed (at least by me) as some general overarching standard applying universally to every possible situation, and my answer to your hypothetical made that clear. It was proposed as a reason under the unique circumstances of this case what ML did in response to a no win situation was not "fraud." Was it a bad look, of course. As Scott writes, do people here really have no ability to see nuance and complexity and are able to think and live only in terms of black and white rigid rules and standards?

So your "gotcha" is a straw man as far as I am concerned. I'm more than content to take each situation on its terms, guided by general principles but not inflexible ones.
I thought you were saying, if there were no damages, there was no fraud.

Shill bidding produces no sale, no exchange of money or goods, but leaves information, as though it had been a completed sale, in the marketplace.

Continuing phantom auction lots produce no sale, no exchange of money or goods, but leaves information, as though it had been a completed sale, in the marketplace.

I see your flexibility not as reasoned nuance, but as basic inconsistency.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

According to Emerson, little minds insist on a foolish consistency. You can characterize it however you want, to me each situation is different and sometimes you can't thread the needle with a perfect rule so you go by general principles, experience, judgment, and an innate sense of right and wrong. If you can't tell the difference between what ML did and ordinary shill bidding, I am sorry. That you can find some overarching words that apply to both is beside the point.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:17 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
According to Emerson, little minds insist on a foolish consistency. You can characterize it however you want, to me each situation is different and sometimes you can't thread the needle with a perfect rule so you go by general principles, experience, judgment, and an innate sense of right and wrong. If you can't tell the difference between what ML did and ordinary shill bidding, I am sorry. That you can find some overarching words that apply to both is beside the point.
Thanks for telling me I have a little mind. And I'll confess, I've probably never sniffed $2 million in cards either. I mostly collect game flannels, but I don't sniff them much, either.

But frankly, I'm not seeing your superiority in defending the deception of hundreds of bidders in an auction.

You're the one who says "Stuff trumps all" and you are currently defending that credo with one small tweak. Your new motto should be: Stuff (and money) trumps all." And if a deception is run in the chase for stuff and money, so what? Nobody is damaged.

I will again end with the caveat that if ML continued the phantom lots at the bequest of law enforcement, I would certainly consider that to be a legitimate reason to do so.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:19 PM
Chase

Quote:
I thought you were saying, if there were no damages, there was no fraud.

Shill bidding produces no sale, no exchange of money or goods, but leaves information, as though it had been a completed sale, in the marketplace.

Continuing phantom auction lots produce no sale, no exchange of money or goods, but leaves information, as though it had been a completed sale, in the marketplace.

I see your flexibility not as reasoned nuance, but as basic inconsistency.
I would love more info on why ML decided to move forward with the lots in the auction. To me, that is very relevant before anyone here can possibly conclude if their intent was pure or not.

Assuming it was, what they concluded was the best of all the choices might have ended up being misleading but it was not being done with an intent to deceive or harm others. And I do not see it in the same light at all as shill bidding which not only has measurable damages but is also clearly done with an intent to deceive.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks for telling me I have a little mind. And I'll confess, I've probably never sniffed $2 million in cards either. I mostly collect game flannels, but I don't sniff them much, either.

But frankly, I'm not seeing your superiority in defending the deception of hundreds of bidders in an auction.

You're the one who says "Stuff trumps all" and you are currently defending that credo with one small tweak. Your new motto should be: Stuff (and money) trumps all." And if a deception is run in the chase for stuff and money, so what? Nobody is damaged.

I will again end with the caveat that if ML continued the phantom lots at the bequest of law enforcement, I would certainly consider that to be a legitimate reason to do so.

As you wish. Feel free to mischaracterize.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2024 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:33 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The straw man army has come home to roost. People can come up with any number of scenarios to support their opinion. Except the one surrounding the issue at hand, it's too much of a stretch

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-20-2024, 03:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
The straw man army has come home to roost. People can come up with any number of scenarios to support their opinion. Except the one surrounding the issue at hand, it's too much of a stretch
Also, as I understand it from what someone said, if the cards are recovered, and assuming insurance issues can be worked through, the winning bidders still have an option to pay for and receive the cards they "won." Another indicator IMO this was not a "fraud" as I understand the term.

Old 05-20-2024, 03:51 PM
Chase

Quote:
Also, as I understand it from what someone said, if the cards are recovered, and assuming insurance issues can be worked through, the winning bidders still have an option to pay for and receive the cards they "won." Another indicator IMO this was not a "fraud" as I understand the term.
If you simply look at it from the point of view of the house, what did they have to gain by letting the auction go with 54 key lots that at the time the auction ended they could not ship? They were now going to have to tell 54 people, possibly, what happened. What is the upside there?

They allegedly told nobody outside of the company about the theft until the auction was concluded and they very well might not have insurance coverage for this and will be writing a check. Yes disappointing and it sucks to think you can win something that you cannot take possession of but I just see no advantage to them in having done so. It might not be the best look for them but they look awful shipping the box as they did. To me, the rest of it is moot.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
If you simply look at it from the point of view of the house, what did they have to gain by letting the auction go with 54 key lots that at the time the auction ended they could not ship? They were now going to have to tell 54 people, possibly, what happened. What is the upside there?

They allegedly told nobody outside of the company about the theft until the auction was concluded and they very well might not have insurance coverage for this and will be writing a check. Yes disappointing and it sucks to think you can win something that you cannot take possession of but I just see no advantage to them in having done so. It might not be the best look for them but they look awful shipping the box as they did. To me, the rest of it is moot.
What they gain of course is an infinitely easier path to reimburse consignors and deal with insurance issues. Otherwise, it's a hot mess as most of these cards do not have commodity values. Nothing at all sinister about this. Context matters unless you live by a dictionary.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2024 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:13 PM
Chase

Quote:
What they gain of course is an infinitely easier path to reimburse consignors and deal with insurance issues. Otherwise, it's a hot mess as most of these cards do not have commodity values. Nothing at all sinister about this. Context matters unless you live by a dictionary.
That was my failed attempt at the point. It was done for their consignors. The house does not benefit at all from having done this.

I did raise the question the other day that Ryan and the house had already estimated the values of his consignments. Not sure if all 54 cards stolen were his but there was an agreement as to what they both felt the cards would sell for. I know that estimate prior to consignment being sent is not the same as the auctions having run their course but the house was not in total darkness about what those lots were worth. Turned out they were close to spot on. It begs the question if they really needed to leave the lots in there for valuation purposes.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:37 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
It begs the question if they really needed to leave the lots in there for valuation purposes.
I guess the only question in my mind is whether the parties went into it feeling that the estimates were high estimates or low estimates. And whether the parties would have attempted to revisit those original estimates based on no additional information. By letting it run, in theory, the potential for valuation disputes is reduced.

Old 05-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That was my failed attempt at the point. It was done for their consignors. The house does not benefit at all from having done this.

I did raise the question the other day that Ryan and the house had already estimated the values of his consignments. Not sure if all 54 cards stolen were his but there was an agreement as to what they both felt the cards would sell for. I know that estimate prior to consignment being sent is not the same as the auctions having run their course but the house was not in total darkness about what those lots were worth. Turned out they were close to spot on. It begs the question if they really needed to leave the lots in there for valuation purposes.
Their valuations on specific lots were all over the map according to what Ryan posted, they just happened to work out in the aggregate. Not sure insurance is going to just accept a pre auction estimate either as you point out.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2024 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:07 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Their valuations on specific lots were all over the map according to what Ryan posted, they just happened to work out in the aggregate. Not sure insurance is going to just accept a pre auction estimate either as you point out.
I doubt they would take fake auction results either. If there is coverage.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:15 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
“They” meaning the insurance company?

Or “they” meaning the consignors?

I suspect the consignors might be okay with using that valuation method.

Last edited by raulus; 05-20-2024 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:29 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
“They” meaning the insurance company?

Or “they” meaning the consignors?

I suspect the consignors might be okay with using that valuation method.
The insurance company, if there is one or more providing coverage.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:45 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Though I very strongly disagree with Peter here, I don't see how he and Lorewalker can possibly be called blowhards. A blowhard is a talkative and boastful braggart, nobody here is bragging in this thread (except for Republican's repeatedly stated class warfare) whatsoever. Talkative, that is true of, I suppose, every poster who has posted in it more than once.

A person is independent of an idea. I have probably disagreed with Carter more intensely than anyone else in this thread historically [as Clementefan does not appear to have any real position in most threads beyond attacking people he doesn't like, frequently in ways demonstrably false, making it difficult to really disagree with any point he has as there is no point], but we are on the 'same side' here because the idea or claim is independent of the user ID. I oft agree with people I normally disagree with, or even dislike, and frequently disagree with people I like. I believe I have only insulted Republican over his very explicit classism and religious discrimination expressed in this thread (I would assume he is trying to get it locked because criticizing Memory Lane and Cohen is clearly one hell of a taboo and is not actually this disgustingly prejudicial). I suppose calling Cohen a fraudster can be considered an insult, but as he was found guilty in court, went to prison for it, and not even his army of fanboys here is pretending he was innocent and wrongfully convicted it is hard to see how this is not a simple fact, albeit unpopular and undesirable to be observed.

Well, I have learned that up is down, that intentionally lying to thousands of bidders is not deceitful, and that selling things you do not have and cannot deliver is just fine (as long as you are rich, rule not applicable to poors on the BST). I ca not wait for the next lesson I will learn in Cardland to expand my limited knowledge.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:53 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Quote:
The insurance company, if there is one or more providing coverage.
I thought one of the possible explanations for allowing the auction to continue with the stolen lots was to obtain a price for insurance purposes (whether or not proposed by the insurance company). Why do you think the insurance company wouldn't accept the auction results as legitimate values if there is no evidence of improper bidding?
Old 05-20-2024, 05:58 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I thought one of the possible explanations for allowing the auction to continue with the stolen lots was to obtain a price for insurance purposes (whether or not proposed by the insurance company). Why do you think the insurance company wouldn't accept the auction results as legitimate values if there is no evidence of improper bidding?
The policy language will drive everything but when there is an insured loss valuation is typically a hot button issue, often involving competing experts. The results of a fake auction or any recent auction could be a data point in one side’s arsenal but, depending on policy language, would probably not carry the day.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:03 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Though I very strongly disagree with Peter here, I don't see how he and Lorewalker can possibly be called blowhards. A blowhard is a talkative and boastful braggart, nobody here is bragging in this thread (except for Republican's repeatedly stated class warfare) whatsoever. Talkative, that is true of, I suppose, every poster who has posted in it more than once.

A person is independent of an idea. I have probably disagreed with Carter more intensely than anyone else in this thread historically [as Clementefan does not appear to have any real position in most threads beyond attacking people he doesn't like, frequently in ways demonstrably false, making it difficult to really disagree with any point he has as there is no point], but we are on the 'same side' here because the idea or claim is independent of the user ID. I oft agree with people I normally disagree with, or even dislike, and frequently disagree with people I like. I believe I have only insulted Republican over his very explicit classism and religious discrimination expressed in this thread (I would assume he is trying to get it locked because criticizing Memory Lane and Cohen is clearly one hell of a taboo and is not actually this disgustingly prejudicial). I suppose calling Cohen a fraudster can be considered an insult, but as he was found guilty in court, went to prison for it, and not even his army of fanboys here is pretending he was innocent and wrongfully convicted it is hard to see how this is not a simple fact, albeit unpopular and undesirable to be observed.

Well, I have learned that up is down, that intentionally lying to thousands of bidders is not deceitful, and that selling things you do not have and cannot deliver is just fine (as long as you are rich, rule not applicable to poors on the BST). I ca not wait for the next lesson I will learn in Cardland to expand my limited knowledge.
I like that this thread has brought us closer. True story!
Old 05-20-2024, 06:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

I often disagree with Greg but it's certainly not personal and I respect his intelligence and tenacity. And when you're having a discussion among people with strong views sometimes it takes some back and forth. That's the nature of a debate. We can't all be efficient in our posts like Trent, but then again when all you have to add is to demean people, it may not take many posts.

Old 05-20-2024, 06:12 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
According to Emerson, little minds insist on a foolish consistency.

Quote:
I often disagree with Greg but it's certainly not personal and I respect his intelligence and tenacity. And when you're having a discussion among people with strong views sometimes it takes some back and forth. That's the nature of a debate. We can't all be efficient in our posts like Trent, but then again when all you have to add is to demean people, it may not take many posts.
Wait, can we pause this thread for a day or two? It's going to take my little mind some time to digest all this.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The policy language will drive everything but when there is an insured loss valuation is typically a hot button issue, often involving competing experts. The results of a fake auction or any recent auction could be a data point in one side’s arsenal but, depending on policy language, would probably not carry the day.
I know fraudulent and fraud are similar words, but if someone had a fake auction, but didn't take any payment(s) for anything, they didn't commit fraud, correct?
Old 05-20-2024, 07:00 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

I propose to all that want to drag this out until the end of time, schedule a conference, rent a banquet hall, lock it, and don't come out until all is settled.....for Christ's sake!
Old 05-20-2024, 07:11 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfootIsReal View Post
I propose to all that want to drag this out until the end of time, schedule a conference, rent a banquet hall, lock it, and don't come out until all is settled.....for Christ's sake!
Ugh...you again?
Old 05-20-2024, 07:17 PM
R0ck Cund.iff

Lol
Old 05-20-2024, 07:26 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Lol
So, 2 weeks ago you join a chat forum (where people discuss things - that's the general idea) and your contributions to the discussion are:

Quote:
For the love of God, someone please put this horse out of it's misery!!

Quote:
Please, don't let this thread die, it deserves life!

Quote:
The Energizer Bunny.....it keeps going....and going....and going....

Quote:

Quote:
Lol
What is your purpose?
Old 05-20-2024, 07:32 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannequin1 View Post
I know fraudulent and fraud are similar words, but if someone had a fake auction, but didn't take any payment(s) for anything, they didn't commit fraud, correct?
Consumer fraud is defined by statutes and some would have different definitions. Advertising goods for sale without the intention of selling them is defined as fraud in some jurisdictions.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:32 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
So, 2 weeks ago you join a chat forum (where people discuss things - that's the general idea) and your contributions to the discussion are:

What is your purpose?
The most important of all purposes. He and Clementefan are here to unite us all together again so we have something to agree on and remind us that however much all the actual posters might sometimes get on each others nerves or criticize ideas, we still have something we can unite around
Old 05-20-2024, 07:33 PM
Daniel R.

I started to try to read through the last 2 pages of posts to catch myself up on this thread, but then I realized we’re talking about baseball cards and it never needs to get this serious.

Note to self, don’t mail cards to best western.

T206 HOF'ers: 3/76

Instagram: @TheRasmussenCollection
Old 05-20-2024, 07:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
I started to try to read through the last 2 pages of posts to catch myself up on this thread, but then I realized we’re talking about baseball cards and it never needs to get this serious.

Note to self, don’t mail cards to best western.
We exited the arguing phase and are now singing kumbaya around the campfire together, united again.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:15 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
People are literally posting hypotheticals where an auction is acting in bad faith from the get-go and saying, "If what ML did was OK then this is OK too, right?"
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-20-2024, 08:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
People are literally posting hypotheticals where an auction is acting in bad faith from the get-go and saying, "If what ML did was OK then this is OK too, right?"
I could make almost any proposition look wrong and inconsistent using the Socratic method. But so what? It's a useful exercise in some contexts and can be fun (not in the first year of law school when you're on the receiving end, perhaps), but at the end of the day it has significant limitations. These "gotcha" posts don't establish anything about the specific ML situation IMO. Life is complex, everything doesn't reduce to clean lines, deal with it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-20-2024 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:58 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I could make almost any proposition look wrong and inconsistent using the Socratic method. But so what? It's a useful exercise in some contexts and can be fun (not in the first year of law school when you're on the receiving end, perhaps), but at the end of the day it has significant limitations. These "gotcha" posts don't establish anything about the specific ML situation IMO. Life is complex, everything doesn't reduce to clean lines, deal with it.
Exactly. My hypothetical examples were meant to expand on the notion (which I inferred from your posts) that if nobody suffers measurable damages, there is no real problem.

The point I was clumsily trying to make with the comparison to the shill bidding thread of years gone by is that, at that time, the "damages" were the phony sales that were left hanging out there. Whether the bidder can't (or won't) honor the bid, or the AH won't (or in this case can't) complete the sale, the end result is non-sales looking like sales.

I was NOT in any way comparing what ML did, to the act of shill bidding and I'm sorry if that impression was given. I was aiming at the similarity of a party knowingly advancing the impression a sale was actually happening, when it was not. And, that in the previous discussion, this was seen as a decidedly damaging impact on the hobby.

Hopefully ML has retroactively removed those phantom lots from their auction results.

In short I was trying to establish whether deceit and phantom sales were ok, generally, if a lawyer couldn't bring suit (nobody hurt, no damages.) My journey down the slippery slope produced nothing conclusive.

My mind is big enough to recognize ML had to choose between a few bad options.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:06 PM
Chase

Quote:
Exactly. My hypothetical examples were meant to expand on the notion (which I inferred from your posts) that if nobody suffers measurable damages, there is no real problem.

The point I was clumsily trying to make with the comparison to the shill bidding thread of years gone by is that, at that time, the "damages" were the phony sales that were left hanging out there. Whether the bidder can't (or won't) honor the bid, or the AH won't (or in this case can't) complete the sale, the end result is non-sales looking like sales.

I was NOT in any way comparing what ML did, to the act of shill bidding and I'm sorry if that impression was given. I was aiming at the similarity of a party knowingly advancing the impression a sale was actually happening, when it was not. And, that in the previous discussion, this was seen as a decidedly damaging impact on the hobby.

Hopefully ML has retroactively removed those phantom lots from their auction results.

In short I was trying to establish whether deceit and phantom sales were ok, generally, if a lawyer couldn't bring suit (nobody hurt, no damages.) My journey down the slippery slope produced nothing conclusive.

My mind is big enough to recognize ML had to choose between a few bad options.
I would argue that as long as nobody shill bid on the 54 lots that had been stolen, and nobody who was bidding had any knowledge the cards had been stolen, then I would see no reason to remove those sales from results. If each winner had the intention of paying for those lots at the hammer price, then those are valid prices. The consignors are being paid based on that. Just that the money is 100% not coming from the the winners.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:41 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I would argue that as long as nobody shill bid on the 54 lots that had been stolen, and nobody who was bidding had any knowledge the cards had been stolen, then I would see no reason to remove those sales from results. If each winner had the intention of paying for those lots at the hammer price, then those are valid prices. The consignors are being paid based on that. Just that the money is 100% not coming from the the winners.
Quote:

Even you are capable of rational thought, but your opinion still doesn't supercede legal advice....or matter to anyone in your delusional cardland or otherwise.

Peoples opinions are not equal. Some are wrong ,as they don't coincide with facts.

We have now seen we have plenty of people who should be on a 5150 hold, welcome to express their opinions as fact.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 05-21-2024 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Even you are capable of rational thought, but your opinion still doesn't supercede legal advice....or matter to anyone in your delusional cardland or otherwise.

Peoples opinions are not equal. Some are wrong ,as they don't coincide with facts.

We have now seen we have plenty of people who should be on a 5150 hold, welcome to express their opinions as fact.
LOL, see they returned.