NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
A party makes a claim about PSA on the board. Another party calls PSA and they have a different take on the whole affair than the one which portrayed them in a negative fashion. Shocking.
But we are not told the substance of the different take -- even better.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
A party makes a claim about PSA on the board. Another party calls PSA and they have a different take on the whole affair than the one which portrayed them in a negative fashion. Shocking.
Are you people living in a fantasy world?? Joe Orlando doesn't give a shit about what you think...He did, however, offer anyone a true statement of what happened in the phone conversation.....What else do you want? Oh, I know, witch hunt time.....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 10-29-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
David- no big secret, call the man. Just what I said in an earlier post, things that were said got twisted. As far as the "it's just a baseball card", evidently Joe got amnesia on that....Again, his business is baseball cards....why would he say that, and ban Matt from the boards? Come on people!
It's not worth it and I don't care. If I have to pick a side, I'll go with the one that chose to come here and tell his side of story, not the one that I have to call to get his side of the story.

And for clarification, are you saying that Matt wasn't banned from the CU boards?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

To me, the big issue here is favoritism and conflict of interest. A big part of the crack and submit game is the risk involved with damaging the card during the crack out, and the risk of potentially getting a lower grade. Factor in higher grading fee's for high value cards and crack and submit can be a risky game.

In this case, the OP had a relationship with the President of PSA and because of that relationship he received favorable treatment. There was no risk of a downgrade because PSA had the slabs. PSA was going to crack the cards and assume the risk (realized) of a damaged card. Furthermore the regular fee's and process were bypassed. I get why Joe was pissed with the OP's reaction - he was doing the OP a huge favour.

This just re-enforces that retail submitter's like me have no chance, the game is rigged. My cards need to go on separate orders, with separate shipping and they are handled by a random grader.

The OP's cards are graded for free and handled personally by the President of the company.

I'm not into all the conspiracy theories that pop up on these boards but the grading process is far too loose This wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't so much money involved.

Frankly I'm amazed that the President of PSA is this involved in the day to day grading of cards... in this case it bit him in the ass, he took on a stupid amount of risk for no obvious upside. How many submitter's are there out there like the OP that have a relationship with Joe and get favours? The process lacks integrity.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Are you people living in a fantasy world?? Joe Orlando doesn't give a shit about what you think...He did, however, offer anyone a true statement of what happened in the phone conversation.....
Kevin,

No, no fantasy here. My point is that I would expect them to have a different perspective than the one which portrayed them negatively. And, I don't give a shit who gives a shit frankly.

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 10-29-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:50 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Kevin,

No, no fantasy here. My point is that I would expect them to have a different perspective than the one which portrayed them negatively. And, I don't give a shit who gives a shit frankly.

Jeff
Jeff- no offense, but how in the hell do you not know Matt is lying? Where is the line drawn?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Jeff- no offense, but how in the hell do you not know Matt is lying? Where is the line drawn?
Kevin,

Can you read (no offense)? Where did I say who was lying. I said it was "shocking" that they would see the situation differently than the OP.

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Maybe I mispoke...Yes, Joe obviously cares about what people think, but this is ridculous. Why is there so much hatred against PSA, based upon one word from someone on Net54?? Maybe he's pissed??
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Kevin,

Can you read (no offense)? Where did I say who was lying. I said it was "shocking" that they would see the situation differently than the OP.

Jeff
I read fine, remember, I'm not the one from Kansas....
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
To me, the big issue here is favoritism and conflict of interest. A big part of the crack and submit game is the risk involved with damaging the card during the crack out, and the risk of potentially getting a lower grade. Factor in higher grading fee's for high value cards and crack and submit can be a risky game.

In this case, the OP had a relationship with the President of PSA and because of that relationship he received favorable treatment. There was no risk of a downgrade because PSA had the slabs. PSA was going to crack the cards and assume the risk (realized) of a damaged card. Furthermore the regular fee's and process were bypassed. I get why Joe was pissed with the OP's reaction - he was doing the OP a huge favour.

This just re-enforces that retail submitter's like me have no chance, the game is rigged. My cards need to go on separate orders, with separate shipping and they are handled by a random grader.

The OP's cards are graded for free and handled personally by the President of the company.

I'm not into all the conspiracy theories that pop up on these boards but the grading process is far too loose This wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't so much money involved.

Frankly I'm amazed that the President of PSA is this involved in the day to day grading of cards... in this case it bit him in the ass, he took on a stupid amount of risk for no obvious upside. How many submitter's are there out there like the OP that have a relationship with Joe and get favours? The process lacks integrity
Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Are you people living in a fantasy world?? Joe Orlando doesn't give a shit about what you think...He did, however, offer anyone a true statement of what happened in the phone conversation.....What else do you want? Oh, I know, witch hunt time.....
But you are constrained from saying what his version is??

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Peter- why dont you grow a set and call him at the number I provided? I promise he won't hurt your feelings....
Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Damn Peter I forgot, Joe is to busy bid shilling.....My bad
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Jeff

Quote:
I read fine, remember, I'm not the one from Kansas....
Yep, thems some fine readers in GA. I know, I lived there 18 years.
Good spellers too, Go Dawgs!

Last edited by HRBAKER; 10-29-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter- why dont you grow a set and call him at the number I provided? I promise he won't hurt your feelings....
I will take that as an admission Joe asked you not to say anything. Typical. Everything has to be done in the dark.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-29-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Damn Peter I forgot, Joe is to busy bid shilling.....My bad
Nice non sequitur, Kevin. You can do better, no?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I will take that as an admission Joe asked you not to say anything. Typical. Everything has to be done in the dark.
That's the way I take it too as he knows nobody will really bother to call. If he really had information to contradict Matt's story, he would post it.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM
pete ullman

so you call Joe...and he tells you his side of the story. why is his story any more believable than the posters?

Has Joe shown himself to be a man of integrity in the past? I'm not so sure?

Now we have a he said...she said scenario. If I had integrity...I'd come on the board and state my peace...but that's just me.

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-29-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 PM

I do not collect graded cards so I do not have a dog in this fight.

I had a very LOOOONG response to this whole mess but I decided to delete it and write something shorter. So, here it is.

If Joe Orlando wants to respond to the OP then why doesn't he just let the OP tell his side of the story on the CU boards and then respond there? Why is the OP allegedly banned from PSA?

I know MANY times in the past that I have read on these boards where someone has had a problem with PSA and they have gone to the CU boards to air their complaints and what happens? They are banned from the CU boards, banned from PSA and their posts on the CU boards are deleted.

If that is what has happened to the OP in this situation then WHY should people have to call J. O. to get his side of the story? Wouldn't it be MUCH EASIER and MUCH LESS time consuming for J. O. to come here and tell HIS side of the story? Or, better yet, do it on the Cu boards?

I mean, I can't imagine the head of a company taking the time out of his day and/or night fielding calls about THE SAME THING when a much easier option would be to just make one e mail response, no matter how long it is and be done with it.

David
Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
That's the way I take it too as he knows nobody will really bother to call. If he really had information to contradict Matt's story, he would post it.
David- Do you even think that Joe looks at this forum? Highly doubtful, big time. As I said before from conversation with him, he is more than happy to communicate what transpired with Matt...He doesn't give a rat's ass about "POSTING IT" on the Forum. Again, call him at the number from earlier post...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
David- Do you even think that Joe looks at this forum? Highly doubtful, big time. As I said before from conversation with him, he is more than happy to communicate what transpired with Matt...He doesn't give a rat's ass about "POSTING IT" on the Forum. Again, call him at the number from earlier post...
The neat thing about Kevin not posting Joe's version is Matt has no opportunity to respond to Joe's version.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
No need. I believe the one who chose to come here to post his side of the story rather than the one I have to call to get his side of the story.

Again, are you saying that Matt wasn't really banned rom the CU boards?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Even if Joe came on and posted his comments, it would still be his side against Matt's...What would that provide? After hearing his side, would most of you jump ship and believe him then? I highly doubt it...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 10-29-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 PM
pete ullman

I have no interest in calling Joe...not much interest in hearing his side of the story...not that he'd take his valuable time to tell it here anyway. I think his actions speak volumes...in the past...and in the present. I think PSA sucks...and I always will.

Joe would be a fool to come on here because he's get attacked from all angles regarding all their shit that PSA has swept under the proverbial rug over the years...it'd be a no win situation for JOE!

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-29-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Dave_Berg

Default Call the man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa1ez7yL_T4
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM
pete ullman

nice Dave...YOU call the man!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Even if Joe came on and posted his comments, it would still be his side against Matt's...What would that provide? After hearing his side, would most of you jump ship and believe him then? I highly doubt it...
What it would provide is an opportunity to assess the relative credibility of the two versions of events. Right now, we have one detailed version and a vague hearsay statement that Joe has a different version which can't be repeated.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-29-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post

Frankly I'm amazed that the President of PSA is this involved in the day to day grading of cards... in this case it bit him in the ass, he took on a stupid amount of risk for no obvious upside. How many submitter's are there out there like the OP that have a relationship with Joe and get favours? The process lacks integrity.
This elephant in the room was already identified and beaten to death years ago...the more money you spend at PSA the more privileges you get. The registry is a farce. Can you imagine having a friend working as a grader at PSA? It'd be like printing money.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
What it would provide is an opportunity to assess the relative credibility of the two versions of events.
Joe Orlando vs. Matt? Are you kidding Peter? Are the SGC gods that desperate?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Joe Orlando vs. Matt? Are you kidding Peter? Are the SGC gods that desperate?
Nothing to do with it. Personally I much prefer PSA, for example.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
This elephant in the room was already identified and beaten to death years ago...the more money you spend at PSA the more privileges you get. The registry is a farce. Can you imagine having a friend working as a grader at PSA? It'd be like printing money.
Dan- no offense, but it's better to print money (PSA) than play with monopoly money (SGC)
Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 PM
pete ullman

Kevin...you've certainly made your point over the years...you're all about the money...we get it! Why don't you and Joe go make out in the corner.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Dan- no offense, but it's better to print money (PSA) than play with monopoly money (SGC)
Why are you trying to make this a PSA vs SGC thread?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
We probably haven't had one lately?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Kevin...you've certainly made your point over the years...you're all about the money...we get it! Why don't you and Joe go make out in the corner.
We are on the way to Hawaii for a couple of weeks...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Kevin, why are you ignoring my questions? Why would PSA return Matt's submission and tell him they no longer wanted his business, and ban him from the PSA boards? Just answer those two questions please.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Dan- maybe not PSA vs. SGC, but you are the one that made the comment about PSA. Should I compare them with Beckett?

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 10-29-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Kevin, why are you ignoring my questions? Why would PSA return Matt's submission and tell him they no longer wanted his business, and ban him from the PSA boards? Just answer those two questions please.
Ask Joe, 1-888-469-2646...He is awaiting all of your calls, believe me...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Dan- maybe not PSA vs. SGC, but you are the one that made the comment about PSA. Should I compare them with Beckett?
Ummmmm....errrrr...this thread is about PSA, it's right there in the title. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that made a comment about PSA. You're the one trying to deflect this thread in another direction.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ummmmm....errrrr...this thread is about PSA, it's right there in the title. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that made a comment about PSA. You're the one trying to deflect this thread in another direction.
Since Kevin won't or can't post Joe's version, there really isn't anything left to say, so I guess it only makes sense to take it someplace else.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Does anyone else find it a bit disturbing that PSA would be willing to discuss the details of a private transaction with a third party who really has no reason to be involved in the discussions? Yes, Matt did bring this issue to light in a public forum, but as a publicly traded company I would think PSA would care enough and have an obligation to all of their customers not to violate their customer's privacy by sharing details of what transpired.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Guys,

Am I the only one that doesn't believe that Kevin really called Joe?

Nice job, Kevin. You had me going for a while.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Dan- you made the comment about "printing money" as far as PSA goes, as far as other comments about PSA go, Hell, I'm the only one on this forum that seems to like them....Except when then sell on REA, Goodwin, etc...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:52 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Guys,

888-469-2646, are you a dumbass or what? Tell Joe I said hey!!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Dan- you made the comment about "printing money" as far as PSA goes, as far as other comments about PSA go, Hell, I'm the only one on this forum that seems to like them....Except when then sell on REA, Goodwin, etc...
As I posted above, I prefer PSA to SGC.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Guys,

I think he called, but that Joe asked him to treat it confidentially, which he is honoring as he should.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Jeff

Default Psa

I don't dislike them, I think they have a crappy holder.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I don't dislike them, I think they have a crappy holder.
+1
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
are you a dumbass or what?
Yes, I guess I was for a few minutes for believing you. You just proved yourself a LIAR Kevin and now entire board knows it.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I guess I was for a few minutes for believing you. You just proved yourself a LIAR Kevin and now entire board knows it.
david- you always have been one to stir up any bullshit you can on the board. I tell you what piss ant, call Joe at the number I gave you. I have done business with him for years, so what exactly is your f**** problem?

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 10-29-2013 at 08:01 PM.