NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2019, 09:20 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Helmars?

Does anyone collect these that could share some impressions / knowledge? I know the cards are in essense modern day contrivances, but I've been looking at their website and honestly I think the cards are very cool.

Since I decided recently that real prewar is generally out of my price range, I was wondering if a Helmar here and there might be an occasionally affordable alternative to still get a nice piece of certain players who might otherwise be out of reach. Would be curious to hear from anyone who actually has some of these. Do you enjoy them? Do they smack of being "fake" or some type of later day reproduction? I think I might could get behind something actually with the knowledge that it was hand crafted with some thought behind what it was, and not just a cheap reprint.

Lastly - this place is really a brewery? Or is that just imaginary to put on card art?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 AM
octavio ranzola

ill stay far away ,,,
Old 02-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Dave Fa*st

If I were on a tight budget, I think I could still find relatively inexpensive pre-war cards to keep myself occupied before I'd go spending money on these. And by the way, these aren't so inexpensive from the ones I've seen.

You can by well worn T206's, T205's, E120's, E121's, etc in plentiful amounts as your spending money allows. No, you may not be able to pick up a Cobb, so if that's the goal I guess maybe you're stuck with a modern day reprint. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Dave Johnson

I am a Sam Crawford collector so I have picked up a few of these cards, as well as some other Mock ups from other folks who do things similar to Helmar.

I know they really are not going to go up in value, but I think they are neat cards and if you are happy with the price you may need to pay for them, that is the important thing.

Some of these "art cards" can go for pretty insane money
Old 02-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Rhett Yeakley

The maker of these cards is not a person i’d want to deal with based on his responses to the previous threads on Net54.

Even if I thought I wanted one of these cards the maker is knowingly breaking the law by not getting permission to use the likenesses of those being depicted. Many of the players are not highly monitored nor is it worth the time for anyone to care but other players or entities representing those players do require permission to use an image of that person for profit. You can’t simple use The image of Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, etc without permission but this “artist” does so regularly and he knows it. There is a reason he doesn’t do current players... he’d get sued. He is banking on the fact that nobody is going to bother trying to stop him on the more obscure players. The fact that he uses images of living players and doesn’t compensate them for the use of their image is criminal to me (if you are going to make money using someone like Rod Carew’s image you should be paying Rod Carew for the right to do so!!!)

The fact that these are called “art cards” is ridiculous, the maker is simply using photoshop and other digital methods to alter images and trying to circumvent the law by saying he is making “art”

The reality is that these at best aren’t good for the hobby and at worst they are breaking established copyright and licensing laws.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 02-25-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:18 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

This guy has made quite a good business for himself. Some of these sell for hundreds of dollars. For myself, if they were a couple bucks to have something different on a player it’s cool. For $25-$300+ I would think you are crazy. But there are a lot of crazy people out there.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:19 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
The maker of these cards is not a person i’d want to deal with based on his responses to the previous threads on Net54.

Even if I thought I wanted one of these cards the maker is knowingly breaking the law by not getting permission to use the likenesses of those being depicted. Many of the players are not highly monitored nor is it worth the time for anyone to care but other players or entities representing those players do require permission to use an image of that person for profit. You can’t simple use The image of Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, etc without permission but this “artist” does so regularly and he knows it. There is a reason he doesn’t do current players... he’d get sued. He is banking on the fact that nobody is going to bother trying to stop him on the more obscure players. The fact that he uses images of living players and doesn’t compensate them for the use of their image is criminal to me (if you are going to make money using someone like Rod Carews image you should be paying Rad Caree for the right to do so!!!)

The fact that these are called “art cards” is ridiculous, the maker is simply using photoshop and other digital methods to alter images and trying to circumvent the law by saying he is making “art”

The reality is that these at best aren’t good for the hobby and at worst they are breaking established copyright and licensing laws.
Good perspective - I had not really considered that. Since I made this post though I've realized that most lower grade T212 Obak's are cheaper cards to collect. Oy, I can never decide what I want to do with prewar...
Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Even if I thought I wanted one of these cards the maker is knowingly breaking the law by not getting permission to use the likenesses of those being depicted. Many of the players are not highly monitored nor is it worth the time for anyone to care but other players or entities representing those players do require permission to use an image of that person for profit. You can’t simple use The image of Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, etc without permission but this “artist” does so regularly and he knows it. There is a reason he doesn’t do current players... he’d get sued. He is banking on the fact that nobody is going to bother trying to stop him on the more obscure players. The fact that he uses images of living players and doesn’t compensate them for the use of their image is criminal to me (if you are going to make money using someone like Rod Carew’s image you should be paying Rod Carew for the right to do so!!!)

The whole field of IP is a minefield. Images from before 1923 are public domain, but certain public figures have a "right to publicity" or something like that that can vary from state to state.

I'm fairly sure that not all of the Helmar cards are simply done digitally. Before they got really popular, some were being sold that were supposedly actual original art that cards had been made from. The size didn't seem right, but there are people who do art specifically on baseball card sized cardstock.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:13 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:

+1. I completely agree with the above comments.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The other day I was watching a T218-style Helmar of Sam Langford that was listed as an original artwork. It sold for more than the actual T218 does. Unbelievable. It was really nice but come on.

I do have a soft spot for 'Broders' and other unlicensed products pre-1980. They are just a lot of fun and pretty cheap. I can't see spending $70 on a Helmar creation, though.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...