NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2024, 07:20 AM
J@son Per1

Default Question on some E91-C American Caramels

I recent grabbed a lot of 5 raw E91-C Red Sox cards pictured below. Really pumped up, although I have a number of questions about these cards and the set itself that I'm hoping the experts can answer. If there's a prior thread to point me to, I'd appreciate that as well:

1. Are these authentic? I think they're good although I will say other than the odd hand cuts these are really clean, especially in back. Hopefully not too clean, as I doubt these are heavily counterfeited cards, but just want to make sure. The backs look so much cleaner than my slabbed TH Speaker, although it's highly plausible that card was just handled much more.

2. Will SGC grade these? I will probably ask them directly but curious for opinions. I am fine with "A" grades although I'm concerned the odder miscuts won't fit into their base tobacco card slab. I definitely don't want any Evidence of Trimming nonsense on the slab either.

3. Regarding the set itself, is every card essentially hand cut, just some better than others? Or are there factory cuts? If everything is hand cut, would it be worth considering touching up some of my bad cuts before sending for slabbing? Or is that blasphemy? I like the idea of slabbing them for uniformity, although it's not really necessary I know. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

I would think they'd all get an A.

Other than it being incredibly obvious why not have EOT if they put that on now? I can't see any real need to hide it.

I don't know if they still do, but when I asked a long time ago they said they would alter the gasket to match an over sized card.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:45 PM

As far as the cards go, from the images provided they look authentic. The E91 sets were all machine cut...it seems possible your cards were hand cut from a sheet?

And of course it is blasphemy in my soul to try to make them more even. They were not strip cards, designed to be cut into individual cards. I think the way they are helps document their prior sheet existence.

As far as grading, I have no clue.

Just be glad they don't look like these E91C Boston cards I formerly owned:

e91boston510.jpg

e91boston511.jpg

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 03-14-2024 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:18 PM
J@son Per1

Thanks Brian, appreciate it, and you're right cutting them would be insane. Not sure what I was thinking there. I have read this set takes a hit because the players are cartoon-like and they use the same/similar images for multiple players. That all said, I love the colors and think they look quite nice. This particular batch had basically no competition on eBay and other than the edges the cards are in nice shape. I can understand how hand cut edges can be distracting though.

Wasn't planning on doing the whole Sox set, but I already have the Speaker and Hooper so the only expensive one remaining for me is the Joe Wood. Can't stop now.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:34 PM
Danny Gabel

Default -

I have E91 A set myself because Luther Taylor's name on the back checklist.

my theory, I think these were from uncut sheet and a 7 years old boy wants a real baseball card instead of his father's uncut sheet that he picked up at the factory alley.

you might want to recut them to make it sharper before send to SGC

Great cards!
Always buying Deaf Sports related, William Hoy, Luther Taylor, George Kihm, Grover Alexander, Dick Sipek, Curtis Pride, Carlton Molesworth, Lou Burdette, Gil McDougald, Ralph Lin Weber, Gallaudet University

Set
1909 E-91A (23/33)
1993 Topps Finest Refractor (109/199)
Old 03-14-2024, 05:30 PM

Here is the article on the E91 sets I posted on here several years back.

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243920

Pretty much all of the E91A set based the artwork of the depicted player's head on photos also used in other baseball card sets. About 1/2 of the E91B cards (the repeat players) also accurately depict the player's head. Unfortunately the E91C has all different players for this same artwork, so no cards in the E91C accurately depict the player.

Still a neat, colorful 110+ year group of cards...enjoy the hunt for the rest!

Brian
Old 03-18-2024, 04:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice cards above, even if they are handcut. Good luck on finishing the set...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Thanks Brian, appreciate it, and you're right cutting them would be insane. Not sure what I was thinking there. I have read this set takes a hit because the players are cartoon-like and they use the same/similar images for multiple players. That all said, I love the colors and think they look quite nice. This particular batch had basically no competition on eBay and other than the edges the cards are in nice shape. I can understand how hand cut edges can be distracting though.

Wasn't planning on doing the whole Sox set, but I already have the Speaker and Hooper so the only expensive one remaining for me is the Joe Wood. Can't stop now.