NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey.

Best of all time...

Baseball.....Cobb/Ruth

Football.....Namath/Unitas

Basketball.....Russell/Jordan

Hockey......Howe/Gretzgy

Very interested to know what you all think. David.

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 02-21-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: should be in watercooler talk
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM
K!ya S@bet

Namath? He is absolutely the worst member of the Hall of Fame.

-Losing record
-More Ints than TDs
-Low completion %
-I can name 30 Qbs I would name over him

Without his guarantee and a Super Bowl won by the running game and defense no one would ever talk about him.

I like all your other choices
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Rob

Ty Cobbs and the guy with 14 feedback who just outbid me on the ebay Connie Mack.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Namath? He is absolutely the worst member of the Hall of Fame.

-Losing record
-More Ints than TDs
-Low completion %
-I can name 30 Qbs I would name over him

Without his guarantee and a Super Bowl won by the running game and defense no one would ever talk about him.

I like all your other choices

Yeah, he doesn't belong on any best of list. He did have a couple prolific yardage seasons for the era, but he threw more interceptions then TD's nearly every year of his career. To think he's in the same HOF as Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Dan Marino and John Elway is kind of mind-boggling.

Just from his era, Non-Hall of Famers I'd take over him are John Brodie, John Hadl, Roman Gabriel, Daryl Lamonica, Dan Merideth
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Scott

like your list but...baseball should be (will clearly be in a few more years):

Ruth/Pujols

Pujols unprecedented player overlooked in the Steroid era...
Best right handed hitter ever! his stats (especially Doubles) DWARF HOF righties....

and the best part about it? Pujols has a PIN HEAD ! 7 1/4 TINY head! no HGH here, no sir!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Scott

Default also

If MLB does the right thing and STRIPS season awards from know cheaters (Bondz), then Pujols would have 6 MVPS...

dont forget his 3 WS jacks!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Ty Cobbs and the guy with 14 feedback who just outbid me on the ebay Connie Mack.

That was a reallllly nice OJ Mack....

Yea, about the list, I'll have to definitely disagree with Namath. Archie Manning was better than him, and he's not even in the HOF. Certainly nostalgic contexts carry their weight - so sometimes if that is in play, then by all means consider them the greatest.

Baseball: Ruth/Teddy Ballgame

Basketball: Jordan.

Football: Rice/Walter Payton

Hockey: Gretzky.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Mark Fox

Hockey: Orr and Lemieux

Lemieux accomplished numbers quite comparable to Gretzky while playing with what was a losing team from his rookie year until 1991. The Penguins made the playoffs just once in Lemieux's first 7 seasons, but Lemieux put up unbelievable numbers still. While Gretzky benefited early in his career from playing with the likes of Kurri, Coffey, Messier, Anderson and Lowe...Lemieux played with the likes of Rob Brown, Bob Errey, Warren Young, Dan Quinn and Randy Cunneyworth. Lemieux finished his career with more goals per game, and more playoff goals per game than Gretzky.

Bobby Orr was the first defenceman to lead the NHL in scoring, the first to score 100 points in a season and the first to record 100 assists in a season. No defenseman besides Orr has ever led the league in assists; he did it five times. Not only was Orr the first defenseman to record 100 assists in a season, he was the first player to do so period. Orr changed how the position was played like no one else had before him.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post

Baseball: Ruth/Teddy Ballgame

Basketball: Jordan.

Football: Rice/Walter Payton

Hockey: Gretzky.
I concur.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Baseball: Cobb/Ruth (tie)

Football: Rice/Brown/Sanders/Unitas/Montana (all tied)

Hockey: Gretzky

Basketball: (which I hate) but I'll say Jordan
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Murr the Blurr

Mark hit the nail on the head: Orr and Lemieux ... although I would put Lemieux second to Gordie Howe, just ahead of Gretzky. As great as Gretzky was during Edmonton's glory years (I was an NHL beat writer for a Canadian daily from 83-92), he was surrounded by future Hall of Famers. After being traded to the Kings, he never won another thing. Lemieux, on the other hand, transformed what for the most part was a mediocre band of wannabes into two-time Stanley Cup champions and, in my opinion, would have eclipsed most of The Great One's scoring records if he hadn't been injured so often (above and beyond his cancer). Howe and Orr were simply the two most complete players in NHL history. Gordie was the template for every future power forward, and Orr completely transformed both the physical and mental way hockey is played. Sadly, because of his wonky knees, it all ended much too soon.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:19 PM

and the correct answer is

jordan/kareem (have to include his ucla days too)

orr/keon

j. brown/rice

ruth/williams (hard to believe, but he may be underrated)
Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Jeff

These guys get my vote...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909 Brush Postcards Ty Cobb.jpg (77.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 1976 Topps #148 Walter Payton BGS 8.jpg (79.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 1966 Topps Test #35 Bobby Orr PSA 6.jpg (78.4 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 1986 Fleer #57 Michael Jordan BGS 8.5.jpg (77.5 KB, 159 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:51 PM

ruth
thorpe
russell
gretzky

Last edited by andybecker; 02-23-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Ruth/Walter Johnson
Jerry Rice/Jim Brown
Russell/Jordan
Orr/Gretzky
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Bob Donaldson

Ruth / Aaron (or Mays or Williams)
Jordan / Russell
Orr / Gretzky (Orr by a WIDE margin)
Montanna / Brady
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Ruth & Walter Johnson
Jordan & Russell
Orr & Gretzky
Payton & Jim Brown
Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Speaker/Cobb
Jordan/Cousy
Grange/Thorpe
Orr/Tretiak
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Ad@m Be11

Baseball - Ruth
Football - Unitas
Basketball - Jordan
Hockey - Gretzky
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Best of all time...

Baseball.....Cobb/Ruth

Football.....Namath/Unitas

Basketball.....Russell/Jordan

Hockey......Howe/Gretzgy

Very interested to know what you all think. David.
Baseball......Ruth/W.Johnson

Football.......Montana/Unitas

Basketball.....Russell/Magic

Hockey.........Gretzgy/Lamieux
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 AM
Rick

I'll go:
Baseball: Ruth (Grove for pitchers)
Basketball: Jordan (curious where James ends up)
Football: Unitas/Montana (hard to compare positions in football, but QBs are more valuable than RBs/WRs. (Brady and Manning could eclipse these guys)
Hockey: Gretzky (who along with Orr,Howe, and Lemieux probably make up everyone's top 4)

It baffles me that some people are leaving off Gretzky in Hockey. Of all the sports, Gretzky's numbers are by far the most dominant.

I'm OK with saying "Orr is the greatest defenceman" or "Orr redefined the role of defenceman" or "Orr embodies everything great about hockey" or "I wish my daughter would marry Bobby Orr", but to say Orr is better "by a wide margin" over Gretzky is silly. At least keep the forwards, defenceman, and goalies separate.

To claim Lemieux is better due to goal rates is also a bit absurd. Goal rates are skewed towards shorter careers. The fact that Gretzky had a long and productive career with a normal decline phase shouldn't be held against him when comparing to guys like Orr, Bossy, or Lemieux. Also ignoring assists for Gretzky is like ignoring wins for Cy Young or strikeouts for Nolan Ryan. Gretzky had more assists than any other player has had points. Add in the fact that Gretzky has the most goals ever and he has 50% more points than #2 on the list! Lemieux was never going to come close to that even if the game hadn't slowed down after '94. While hockey stats are difficult to adjust for teams and era, I have never seen any analysis that puts Howe and Lemieux ahead over their careers (they do close the gap and Lemieux had a comparable, but shorter peak). Also, saying that Gretzky benefited from playing with great players like Kurri is misleading. Lemieux benefited from playing with Kevin Stevens because any competent linemate is going to benefit you. It is more fair to say Kurri and Stevens benefited from playing with Gretzky and Lemieux. Messier, Coffey, and Gretzky are all great players, but again why penalize Gretzky for capturing the cup with those guys? Of Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr, none won the cup in the second half of their careers. Howe and Orr had great teams that couldn't overcome greater Habs teams. Lemieux didn't win until he had some other HOFers surrounding him (Francis, Jagr, Murphy, Coffey, Recchi, Mullen). Although most were not at their peaks, this wasn't a "bunch of wannabees" inspired by Lemieux. Gretzky did carry the '93 Kings to the cup, but lost (as all the greats seem to) to Montreal. Strange that Montreal ended Howe's run in the 50s, Orr's run in the '70s, blocked Gretzky's last cup, and won it immediately after Lemieux's cups.

I totally understand if Howe, Orr, or Lemieux is your favorite hockey player, or if you want to include them in the best ever discussion; but, like Ruth in baseball, Gretzky is the man to beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
Hockey: Orr and Lemieux

Lemieux accomplished numbers quite comparable to Gretzky while playing with what was a losing team from his rookie year until 1991. The Penguins made the playoffs just once in Lemieux's first 7 seasons, but Lemieux put up unbelievable numbers still. While Gretzky benefited early in his career from playing with the likes of Kurri, Coffey, Messier, Anderson and Lowe...Lemieux played with the likes of Rob Brown, Bob Errey, Warren Young, Dan Quinn and Randy Cunneyworth. Lemieux finished his career with more goals per game, and more playoff goals per game than Gretzky.

Bobby Orr was the first defenceman to lead the NHL in scoring, the first to score 100 points in a season and the first to record 100 assists in a season. No defenseman besides Orr has ever led the league in assists; he did it five times. Not only was Orr the first defenseman to record 100 assists in a season, he was the first player to do so period. Orr changed how the position was played like no one else had before him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Ruth / Aaron (or Mays or Williams)
Jordan / Russell
Orr / Gretzky (Orr by a WIDE margin)
Montanna / Brady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
Mark hit the nail on the head: Orr and Lemieux ... although I would put Lemieux second to Gordie Howe, just ahead of Gretzky. As great as Gretzky was during Edmonton's glory years (I was an NHL beat writer for a Canadian daily from 83-92), he was surrounded by future Hall of Famers. After being traded to the Kings, he never won another thing. Lemieux, on the other hand, transformed what for the most part was a mediocre band of wannabes into two-time Stanley Cup champions and, in my opinion, would have eclipsed most of The Great One's scoring records if he hadn't been injured so often (above and beyond his cancer). Howe and Orr were simply the two most complete players in NHL history. Gordie was the template for every future power forward, and Orr completely transformed both the physical and mental way hockey is played. Sadly, because of his wonky knees, it all ended much too soon.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Jim Hopkins

Baseball: B Bonds/W Mays

Football: J Rice/L Taylor

Basketball: M Jordan/L James

Hockey: No Idea
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Dave

Man, gotta go with Gretzky, even though the contrarian in all of us wants to say otherwise.

To say Lemieux dragged a bunch of rag-tag players on his back to the Cup is a bit disingenuous IMO.

Those Pens rosters were absolutely loaded with quality players.

Not sure why #99 gets docked for being durable either.

I think the most amazing intangible statistic for me. Gretzky regularly played on the Power killing line (as did Lemiuex). 73 Shorthanded Goals. That's insane!

Last edited by D. Bergin; 02-24-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce View Post
I'm OK with saying "Orr is the greatest defenceman" or "Orr redefined the role of defenceman" or "Orr embodies everything great about hockey" or "I wish my daughter would marry Bobby Orr", but to say Orr is better "by a wide margin" over Gretzky is silly. At least keep the forwards, defenceman, and goalies separate.

To claim Lemieux is better due to goal rates is also a bit absurd. Goal rates are skewed towards shorter careers. The fact that Gretzky had a long and productive career with a normal decline phase shouldn't be held against him when comparing to guys like Orr, Bossy, or Lemieux. Also ignoring assists for Gretzky is like ignoring wins for Cy Young or strikeouts for Nolan Ryan. Gretzky had more assists than any other player has had points. Add in the fact that Gretzky has the most goals ever and he has 50% more points than #2 on the list! Lemieux was never going to come close to that even if the game hadn't slowed down after '94. While hockey stats are difficult to adjust for teams and era, I have never seen any analysis that puts Howe and Lemieux ahead over their careers (they do close the gap and Lemieux had a comparable, but shorter peak). Also, saying that Gretzky benefited from playing with great players like Kurri is misleading. Lemieux benefited from playing with Kevin Stevens because any competent linemate is going to benefit you. It is more fair to say Kurri and Stevens benefited from playing with Gretzky and Lemieux. Messier, Coffey, and Gretzky are all great players, but again why penalize Gretzky for capturing the cup with those guys? Of Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr, none won the cup in the second half of their careers. Howe and Orr had great teams that couldn't overcome greater Habs teams. Lemieux didn't win until he had some other HOFers surrounding him (Francis, Jagr, Murphy, Coffey, Recchi, Mullen). Although most were not at their peaks, this wasn't a "bunch of wannabees" inspired by Lemieux. Gretzky did carry the '93 Kings to the cup, but lost (as all the greats seem to) to Montreal. Strange that Montreal ended Howe's run in the 50s, Orr's run in the '70s, blocked Gretzky's last cup, and won it immediately after Lemieux's cups.

I totally understand if Howe, Orr, or Lemieux is your favorite hockey player, or if you want to include them in the best ever discussion; but, like Ruth in baseball, Gretzky is the man to beat.
Goal rates are hardly skewed towards shorter careers when you're discussing two players who both played 16+ seasons in the league. While you argue Gretzky's long career shouldn't be held against him neither should then Lemieux's short career. Lemieux played just 915 games while Gretzky played 1482. So it's hardly fair to compare straight raw stats when Lemieux played 516 fewer games, you have to compare points/game and goals/game. You say Lemieux would never come close to Gretzky's numbers if he had played as long, but Lemieux trails Gretzky in points/game by just 0.038 points per game and given a player of Lemieux's pedigree its quite possible he could have come very close to or broken Gretzky's career numbers.

And no one is penalizing Gretzky for playing with the the HOFers but he put up his best numbers in those years, while some of Lemieux's highest point totals came playing on teams WITHOUT Jagr, Francis or Stevens. Lemieux put up 199 points in the 88-89 and single handedly took that team to the playoffs, something Gretzky never had to do in with the 80s Oilers. Lemieux put up over 100 points in each of his first 6 seasons, making the playoffs just once with a Pens team that wallowed in the bottom of the Whales conference.

In Gretzky's last 8 seasons, he scored more than 30 goals just twice and put up over 100 points just twice. I just can't say a player was the best ever when for the last 8 years of his career he was honestly nothing more than average statistically speaking.

Last edited by markf31; 02-24-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post

That card got some attention around here. At least it went to a board member.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Dave

Quote:

And no one is penalizing Gretzky for playing with the the HOFers but he put up his best numbers in those years, while some of Lemieux's highest point totals came playing on teams WITHOUT Jagr, Francis or Stevens. Lemieux put up 199 points in the 88-89 and single handedly took that team to the playoffs, something Gretzky never had to do in with the 80s Oilers.

But he DID do it with several Kings teams. Not quite sure how that gets glossed over.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Arnie

Babe Ruth/Ty Cobb
Jim Brown/Joe Montana
Michael Jordan/Wilt Chamberlain
Wayne Gretzky/Mario Lemieux
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 AM

Default Best of Sports

My Picks

Baseball: Ruth/Mantle

Basketball: Jordan/Bird

Football: Payton/B. Sanders

Hockey: Gretzky/Orr
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Pete Sycks

Baseball: Ruth / Cobb
Hockey: Gretzky / Howe
Football: Brown / Rice
Basketball: Jordan / Wilt the Stilt

Best multi sport = Thorpe
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Rick

He was "honestly nothing more than league average his last 8 seasons"?

Here is where Gretzky ranked in points his last 8 seasons:

'91-92 (3rd)
'92-93 (outside of top 20... missed 38 games)
'93-94 (1st)
'94-95 (19th)
'95-96 (12th)
'96-97 (tied 4th)
'97-98 (tied 3rd)
'98-99 (outside of top 20... missed 12 games)

Lemieux may have started his career with some poor teams, but Gretzky ended his career with poor teams.

Goal rates are absolutely skewed when you take 4 seasons away from Lemieux in the decline phase of his career during the peak of the neutral zone trap. Maybe not as skewed as a player like Bossy, but it does make Lemieux look better when you try and extrapolate his numbers. Looking at his career arc, I think if Lemieux hadn't had cancer and got a couple of injury seasons back he realistically could have cracked 2500 points, but he wouldn't have beaten Gretzky's 2857.

If you want to argue Lemieux's 199 point season was better than any of Gretzky's four 200+ seasons, you might be right. Still even after adjusting for teams, it would only be marginally better and Gretzky had an insanely high peak for 14 seasons while Lemieux's insanely high peak lasted about 10 seasons. Again, Gretzky's linemates look better in large part because they got to play with Wayne Gretzky. Kurri is probably a HOFer anywhere he plays, and Coffey certainly is, but their numbers are vastly inflated by playing with the greatest play maker of all time much more so than Gretzky's numbers are inflated by playing shifts with them.

I get that you are from Pittsburgh and absolutely should idolize Mario, but you are misremembering or misrepresenting how good Gretzky was even in those last few years and while even the most generous cherry picking of stats puts Lemieux in Gretzky's league I don't see how one could argue that he surpasses Gretzky.

Quote:
Goal rates are hardly skewed towards shorter careers when you're discussing two players who both played 16+ seasons in the league. While you argue Gretzky's long career shouldn't be held against him neither should then Lemieux's short career. Lemieux played just 915 games while Gretzky played 1482. So it's hardly fair to compare straight raw stats when Lemieux played 516 fewer games, you have to compare points/game and goals/game. You say Lemieux would never come close to Gretzky's numbers if he had played as long, but Lemieux trails Gretzky in points/game by just 0.038 points per game and given a player of Lemieux's pedigree its quite possible he could have come very close to or broken Gretzky's career numbers.

And no one is penalizing Gretzky for playing with the the HOFers but he put up his best numbers in those years, while some of Lemieux's highest point totals came playing on teams WITHOUT Jagr, Francis or Stevens. Lemieux put up 199 points in the 88-89 and single handedly took that team to the playoffs, something Gretzky never had to do in with the 80s Oilers. Lemieux put up over 100 points in each of his first 6 seasons, making the playoffs just once with a Pens team that wallowed in the bottom of the Whales conference.

In Gretzky's last 8 seasons, he scored more than 30 goals just twice and put up over 100 points just twice. I just can't say a player was the best ever when for the last 8 years of his career he was honestly nothing more than average statistically speaking.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Mark Fox

My average comment may have been a little uninformed, so I stand corrected on where Wayne finished in overall points each of those seasons. I was simply looking at his production and not where in the league scoring standings he finished which was the wrong way to go about that.

I am from Pittsburgh, but I didn't grow up here but I've always been a hockey fan. I am keenly aware of having watched both Wayne and Mario play throughout their careers and its just my opinion that Mario was a better player than Gretzky. But I do enjoy the banter and conversation.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
My average comment may have been a little uninformed, so I stand corrected on where Wayne finished in overall points each of those seasons. I was simply looking at his production and not where in the league scoring standings he finished which was the wrong way to go about that.

I am from Pittsburgh, but I didn't grow up here but I've always been a hockey fan. I am keenly aware of having watched both Wayne and Mario play throughout their careers and its just my opinion that Mario was a better player than Gretzky. But I do enjoy the banter and conversation.
When you consider the fact that Gretzky had 4 seasons with over 200 points
and Mario had none! Gretzky had 11 seasons with over 100 assist and Mario
had only one, Gretzky had 2 seasons of 87 or more goals and Mario had none
YOU HAVE A POINT! you are from Pittsburgh.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Baseball: Ruth/Cobb
Basketball: Jordan
Football: Rice
Hockey: Gretzky/Orr/Howe (change my mind constantly) with Lemieux in 4th.

For me, the hockey debate comes down to what you prioritize in a player, as the top 4 are fairly interchangeable on peak value alone.

You can certainly make an argument that Lemieux was the most skilled player ever, or that he was a better goal scorer than Gretzky, but it's not really arguable that he had a better career.

Gretzky literally won scoring titles by 30 and 40% margins, consecutively from 81-82 to 86-87. He also led by almost 20% in 91-92, and almost 18% in 80-81 as a 19 year old. In Lemieux's apex in 88-89, he was a phenomenal 15%+ ahead of second place, but note how this still pales in comparison to the kind of dominance Gretzky put in year in and out during his peak. As far as consistent dominance related to his peers on a purely numerical aspect, only Howe can even be argued to be in Gretzky's league among forwards. Lemieux certainly had the ability to do so, and did some years, but didn't do it nearly as consistently, or for as long as Gretzky or Howe. Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story, but it's a far better quantification of relative dominance than raw stats.

Quote:
Goal-scoring is not the entire game. My favorite Gretzky stat is actually him leading the entire NHL in assists, at the height of the dead puck era, in his age 36 and 37 seasons. To call him average is just indefensible. He was one of the premier playmakers through his age 37 season.

The argument for Gretzky's career is what he did. The argument for Lemieux's is what he could have done.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM
$c0tt A1p@ug.h

Baseball: Babe Ruth and putting anyone on his level is a mistake
Football: Jim Brown and Otto Graham (just a pure winner and the most overlooked of the great QB's)
Hockey: Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe (stealing a spot not used for baseball)
Basketball: Oscar Robertson (c'mon, he averaged a triple double for a SEASON!!!) and Michael Jordan

Collecting: 1948 Leaf Football Master Set (PSA 7 or better - PSA 6 or better for High Numbers), 1948 Leaf Football White Backgrounds, 1948 Leaf Football On-card Autographs, Wire Photos or Original Photos depicting images used for the 1948 Leaf Football issue -- circa 1880-1909 Football cabinets
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Greg

Baseball: Ruth, Mathewson
Football: Unitas, Brown
Hockey: Gretsky, Orr
Basketball: Wilt the Stilt, Bird
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sonk View Post
Baseball: Ruth/Cobb
Basketball: Jordan
Football: Rice
Hockey: Gretzky/Orr/Howe (change my mind constantly) with Lemieux in 4th.

For me, the hockey debate comes down to what you prioritize in a player, as the top 4 are fairly interchangeable on peak value alone.

You can certainly make an argument that Lemieux was the most skilled player ever, or that he was a better goal scorer than Gretzky, but it's not really arguable that he had a better career.

Gretzky literally won scoring titles by 30 and 40% margins, consecutively from 81-82 to 86-87. He also led by almost 20% in 91-92, and almost 18% in 80-81 as a 19 year old. In Lemieux's apex in 88-89, he was a phenomenal 15%+ ahead of second place, but note how this still pales in comparison to the kind of dominance Gretzky put in year in and out during his peak. As far as consistent dominance related to his peers on a purely numerical aspect, only Howe can even be argued to be in Gretzky's league among forwards. Lemieux certainly had the ability to do so, and did some years, but didn't do it nearly as consistently, or for as long as Gretzky or Howe. Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story, but it's a far better quantification of relative dominance than raw stats.

Goal-scoring is not the entire game. My favorite Gretzky stat is actually him leading the entire NHL in assists, at the height of the dead puck era, in his age 36 and 37 seasons. To call him average is just indefensible. He was one of the premier playmakers through his age 37 season.

The argument for Gretzky's career is what he did. The argument for Lemieux's is what he could have done.
Outstanding first post !!