NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Check out the winning bidder on this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Bowman-...p2047675.l2557

Now the same exact card is for sale also through Probstein123 and check out the high bidder. LOL yes the same person that won it last time around. http://www.ebay.com/itm/370940311656...656%26_rdc%3D1
That Rick must be a great seller to sell the same card to the same person twice in a few weeks.LOL
Hold on,
Yes it's the same card, but it looks like 2 different winners. What am I missing?? Is it possible 1***a won it in October then Member Id: l***x (1761) won it in November?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Richard L.

Larry,

1***a bid high on it the second time around but bid was cancelled. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the bid history. Don't know who he is but I feel comfortable labeling him a slim ball!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I agree that exposing these shills over and over is helpful to the people who might not have read the past exposes. At least no one on N54 who reads one of these threads can get ripped off by Probstein or PWCC but claim that they did not know. It may be dull to hear what is effectively the same story again, but the solution is not to read it. The titles are clear enough.

As for eBay, don't hold your breath: its management actively encourages shilling. Used to be a piece of cake to figure out who was shilling; just cross-reference the shilling account with the seller's account. That is how Broadway Rick got nailed:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3078735/

eBay tackled the challenge posed by shill bidders by hiding the identities of the underbidders. It greatly reduced the number of complaints about shilling not because the activity ceased but because no one could prove it any longer.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-19-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I agree that exposing these shills over and over is helpful to the people who might not have read the past exposes. At least no one on N54 who reads one of these threads can get ripped off by Probstein or PWCC but claim that they did not know. It may be dull to hear what is effectively the same story again, but the solution is not to read it. The titles are clear enough.

As for eBay, don't hold your breath: its management actively encourages shilling. Used to be a piece of cake to figure out who was shilling; just cross-reference the shilling account with the seller's account. That is how Broadway Rick got nailed:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3078735/

eBay tackled the challenge posed by shill bidders by hiding the identities of the underbidders. It greatly reduced the number of complaints about shilling not because the activity ceased but because no one could prove it any longer.
Great post, Adam. I can't help but believe ebay will eventually face legal repercussions for encouraging illegal activity.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:31 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

In a defense of eBay, I'm sure one reason they block bidder ids was to prevent off eBay sales. I think trying to prevent this was legitimate on their part, as many buyers and sellers abused the system that way.

Having said that, one essential eBay newbie tip I used to give was never to bid in an auction that hid bidder ids, as the practice was mostly used to prevent nefarious activity including shilling and to prevent others from tipping off bidders that an item was a fake or a scam. Then eBay turned and made all bidder ids private.

If it were up to me, bidder ids would be shown, but, as is often the case, eBay users who tried to game the system (breaking the user agreement by using eBay as a cheap advertising for off site sales) are part of the reason eBay hides the ids.

In short, every one's going to Hell. Oh sorry, Leon, I meant to say Heck.

Last edited by drcy; 11-20-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default ebay prob

I have and will continue to bid and buy from Probstein .
Never had a single problem or issue
He gets his hands on loads of good stuff
prices are prices...bidding get carried away sometimes...if you dont like it then dont bid
Why must cry babys keep bringing up the same old sour grapes
You dont think the big auction houses " protect" their rare items in one way or another ?..good ole boys secretly bidding on their own stuff ?
The guys sells tons of stuff... he must be doing something right

Ralph G
Old 11-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Banned

I wonder if eBay had never shown bidders identities in the first place (email addresses in the early days, followed by user IDs), would people object now to not being able to see them? The reason I wonder is because I don't know of a single auction house in our hobby that shows bidder ids of any kind in its online auctions. Yet that doesn't seem to be an issue for most people, but the inability to see identities on eBay is.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
prices are prices...bidding get carried away sometimes...if you dont like it then dont bid
You dont think the big auction houses " protect" their rare items in one way or another ?..good ole boys secretly bidding on their own stuff ?

Ralph G
I've seen some idiotic posts on Net 54 but this one might take the cake, right up there with San Quentin.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

Ralph G
Ralph gets it. Thanks for posting this, Ralph.

When my Mom would catch me with my hand in the cookie jar, I always argued that after she punished my sister, I was more than willing to submit to a similar punishment. Funny, I got my ass beat anyway.

Perhaps I should have used the argument that my Sister was fat and happy from all the stolen cookie calories, so she must be doing something right.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Ralph G
Is this post a joke? Is it April fools day again?

1. He gets his hands on loads of stuff.- Well good for him. But it has nothing to do with what is being talked about.
2. Prices are prices- Most idiotic statement, in the context of this thread, that I have seen in a while. The problem is, prices we see aren't real prices, they are shilled. So, no, prices aren't prices.
3. Cry babys (sic) keep bringing up sour grapes. Yes, and each time a bank robber robs a bank, darn it, it makes the news again.
4. Big auctions protecting their rare items? Of course, it's called a reserve or a higher opening bid. Just like a consignor could tell Rick if he wanted to. That would be the moral and legal way to do it. And yes, there are a few hobbyists in a lot of hot water for doing it the wrong way.
5. The guy sells a ton of stuff, he must be doing something right. I think Rick is probably a very hard worker and is smart. A little more due diligence, when issues are brought to his attention, is all some of us are asking ie...ban bidders with a gazillion retractions and other issues. And maybe part of the reason he gets stuff is that the consignors know they can protect their consignments by shilling.

And I just want to make sure you are serious in believing what you wrote? It's hard for me to imagine anyone could really believe what you wrote. It's freaking crazy.

Last edited by Leon; 11-20-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Ralph G
wow, this post has so much fail I don't even know where to begin!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
...good ole boys secretly bidding on their own stuff ?
Just the good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm
Beats all you never saw
Been in trouble with the law
Since they took it online

Screwin' with bids
Paddin' the sales
Someday the bidders
Might get 'em
But the law never will

Makin' their way
The only way they know how
That's just a little bit more
Than the law should allow

Just the good ol' boys
Wouldn't change if they could
Fixin' the system
Like a true Internet Auction Hood

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:

Ralph G
I'm sure a lot of people liked (insert any evil dictator through history) because none of their relatives were killed by him and they were able to get a job during his reign while disregarding some of that other stuff he was doing to others because it did not affect them. I guess with your logic, (Insert any evil dictator through history) was great and must have been doing something right since he was in power and plenty of people were cheering at his speeches, therefore what could go wrong? People like you enable criminals and help make them more successful while everyone else gets screwed over thanks to you.

Fraud is illegal regardless of whether it gets you a good price on what you want. Using your logic you would be ok with it if a car you were buying came to you at a good price because it was stolen from someone else as long as the price was a steal.

You most likely think we have an honest government running as well since they got elected, they must be doing something right. Keep being blind, it will bite you pretty hard one day.

It was reading posts like yours a few months ago that got me screwed over dealing with him.

Last edited by Acollector; 11-20-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
Larry,

1***a bid high on it the second time around but bid was cancelled. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the bid history. Don't know who he is but I feel comfortable labeling him a slim ball!
Thanks Richard