NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Show Your Henry Yee Winnings

No, it's not a typo.

I'm really curious what forum members went after, given the wide variety of stuff that ended last night - especially the vintage Yankees photos;e.g-the 'Murderers Row'.

Last night I made my first Hyee purchase in over ten years, but it was esoteric and would be of no interest to anyone here. But please show your stuff, as I am stuck waiting by the door for a golf bag to arrive, and almost bored enough to read a book.

Ben, please do not gloat.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-04-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:38 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
No, it's not a typo.
Scott, I'm laughing out loud right now, because my first thought when I saw you were the author of the post was, "This has to be some kind of joke, right?" I for one am curious as to what photo you picked up, esoteric or otherwise.

I finally picked up something from Henry last night, probably the only piece that was of interest to me AND in my price range right now. Plenty of pieces of interest that went well beyond my price range though, often by multiples. My list of pre-set snipes that never went off is laughable to look at in comparison to the final prices.

This one is a shot of Burleigh Grimes with the Louisville Colonels in 1936. Original negative from the Burke/Brace archive. I probably would have bid the same regardless of who the subject was as I've been on the hunt for an original American Association negative from the Burke era for research purposes, but it being a HOFer that wound up being affordable was a nice bonus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Southworth1.jpg (22.3 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg Southworth2.jpg (12.5 KB, 482 views)
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM

Default Winnings

I loved the Ruth composite not only is it historic but it is a Type I in my mind because of it being a composite (IMHO, the type classification system fails here in accurately describing what the photo is).

The Ford was a good buy because it was used for his 54 Topps card

I paid more than I wanted to on the Jackie but I like the image

I liked that I got the Gibson as I will not be able to afford a type I anytime soon and you just do not see many photos of him Type II or not

I was surprised at a few of the winning bids in particular the Ruth Bowing out Photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe Ruth Composite.jpg (74.1 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg Jackie Robinson Clubhouse.jpg (60.2 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg Josh Gibson Batting Type II.jpg (47.3 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg Whitey Ford 1954 Topps Card.jpg (74.4 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg 1st Black All Stars.jpg (50.2 KB, 473 views)

Last edited by bobfreedman; 11-04-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Banned

I was outbid by $20 on the murderer's row photo..lol
Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
I loved the Ruth composite not only is it historic but it is a Type I in my mind because of it being a composite (IMHO, the type classification system fails here in accurately describing what the photo is).
How, exactly, does the Type system fail here Bob? I just don't get this at all.
It is just a classification system. You have a very rare Type 3 within that system. What is wrong with that or the system? This way of thinking makes no sense to me. Clearly the market showed it was rare bringing 4 figures. NEVER should this be considered a type 1 as A) it is created in 1919 when Ruth was getting huge recognition(using a rookie 1915 photo) B) created off dupe neg. Nothing failed, it is just that you have an better understanding(or not) of the system and know what is important to you. If you are happy with rare TYPE 3 paying less than rare TYPE 1s.. that is great!
I could kick this dead horse all day long. This is a perfect example, though, of why there is a need for the type system(separation btwn photos). The original image of this Ruth was taken/developed in 1915(as a rookie) with his teammates(TYPE 1). One brought over 12k in REA twice. Yours, though rare, was developed later(after he broke records) and made off a dupe neg(not the quality/clarity). How could you ever consider these two photos equal? If you do, that is great.. you will get a lot of great photos for “great prices”.
I will say, however, that yours is very cool as it shows the two players side by side and is a historical "work of art"(dare I say) in composing them together. That is where the high value(1200 plus) came into play and rightfully so...worth every penny IMO.

I also find value in early type 3 composites. As you may or may not recall, I purchased a 1915 Rookie Ruth portrait/composite made from dupe negs put together. It is really rare but I would much rather have the type 1 of Ruth that sold in heritage for 10k made off the original negative. I would, however, rather have my photo than a type 2 created in say..1927. Many may not agree as a type 2 prob has better clarity off the original neg(like a type 1). But then again, if the dupe was done poorly.. I might reconsider. It all depends which makes it fun! There is one constant for me though....I LIKE EARLY/OLD/ as close to the date when the lensman snapped that photo as possible. The image clarity is also very important to me. Hence, TYPE 1 is king to me within the TYPE classification system.

That being said, you clearly have GREAT taste in photos which everyone can see. I love the Jackie! KILLER KILLER JACKIE. And I LOVE the negro league players together. Congrats Bob!

Scotty.. I am very proud of you my friend. You all grows up! haha! just funning! That is a great photo for a pool room!

Lance, I love when you buy things for research purposes. We all benefit!!

MY 1915 ROOKIE TYPE 3 Which I am very happy with for the price:

TYPE 3 1919 off dupe neg in Henry's auction

TYPE 1 1915 off original neg

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 11-04-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: forgot about my boy Lance
Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Does it count to be the underbidder in 5 auctions?
Yesterday was a big Zip Zero Zilch Nada for me.
Here's hoping tonight goes better.

How's this for a silver lining....
The only good thing about not winning anything in Henry's auction is that I'll have more money for Rhys' next auction.

Very nice stuff everyone.
Bob,
I really love that Jackie pic. Just a great image. Congrats.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstan View Post

how's this for a silver lining....
The only good thing about not winning anything in henry's auction is that i'll have more money for rhys' next auction.
everybody wins!! Haha

Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=Forever Young;1203071]How, exactly, does the Type system fail here Bob? I just don't get this at all.
It is just a classification system. You have a very rare Type 3 within that system. What is wrong with that or the system? This way of thinking makes no sense to me. Clearly the market showed it was rare bringing 4 figures. NEVER should this be considered a type 1 as A) it is created in 1919 when Ruth was getting huge recognition(using a rookie 1915 photo) B) created off dupe neg. Nothing failed, it is just that you have an better understanding(or not) of the system and know what is important to you. If you are happy with rare TYPE 3 paying less than rare TYPE 1s.. that is great!
I could kick this dead horse all day long. This is a perfect example, though, of why there is a need for the type system(separation btwn photos). The original image of this Ruth was taken/developed in 1915(as a rookie) with his teammates(TYPE 1). One brought over 12k in REA twice. Yours, though rare, was developed later(after he broke records) and made off a dupe neg(not the quality/clarity). How could you ever consider these two photos equal? If you do, that is great.. you will get a lot of great photos for “great prices”.
I will say, however, that yours is very cool as it shows the two players side by side and is a historical "work of art"(dare I say) in composing them together. That is where the high value(1200 plus) came into play and rightfully so...worth every penny IMO.

I also find value in early type 3 composites. As you may or may not recall, I purchased a 1915 Rookie Ruth portrait/composite made from dupe negs put together. It is really rare but I would much rather have the type 1 of Ruth that sold in heritage for 10k made off the original negative. I would, however, rather have my photo than a type 2 created in say..1927. Many may not agree as a type 2 prob has better clarity off the original neg(like a type 1). But then again, if the dupe was done poorly.. I might reconsider. It all depends which makes it fun! There is one constant for me though....I LIKE EARLY/OLD/ as close to the date when the lensman snapped that photo as possible. The image clarity is also very important to me. Hence, TYPE 1 is king to me within the TYPE classification system.

That being said, you clearly have GREAT taste in photos which everyone can see. I love the Jackie! KILLER KILLER JACKIE. And I LOVE the negro league players together. Congrats Bob!

Ben, I understand where you are coming from but, I think it fails in what some peoples perceptions of what is valuable and what is not. The perception is that for a photo to be valuable it needs to be a type I, that may or may not be your perception (I think it is safe to say it is not for you) but I think that is the mainstream thinking. This photo is obviously not worth 10's of thousands of dollars like your originals but, I do believe it has far greater value than the what the piece was sold for just my opinion and I don't think we need to debate this.

Last edited by bobfreedman; 11-04-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Jeff

Default 1967 Maris Negative

Blown out of the water on several others:

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

[QUOTE=bobfreedman;1203145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
How, exactly, does the Type system fail here Bob? I just don't get this at all.

Ben, I understand where you are coming from but, I think it fails in what some peoples perceptions of what is valuable and what is not. The perception is that for a photo to be valuable it needs to be a type I, that may or may not be your perception (I think it is safe to say it is not for you) but I think that is the mainstream thinking. This photo is obviously not worth 10's of thousands of dollars like your originals but, I do believe it has far greater value than the what the piece was sold for just my opinion and I don't think we need to debate this.
Fair enough Bob. I do think your photo is a wonderful one at a nice price.
Because you feel ike it went low, has nothing to do with a flaw in the type system(makes zero sense to me-I just do not understand this thought process) IMO.
It is up to the buying public to determine what a photo is worth. Henry's description indicated exactly what this photo was. The psa slap clearly says the year(1919) it was created.
The collecting public(make no mistake..more HIGH END baseball photo guys are following this auction than any other photo auction out there) thought was worth less than you did. If one other person valued it as you do(and had the money-key), it would have went way higher obviously.
Heck, it happens to me on just about every photo I win so I do know the feeling haha!
You got a great photo and a price you are happy with which is fantastic! It is truly historical and a great pickup! It is a Type 3 example worth a lot of money and the market clearly agreed. I am with you in that there are some great buys on old, period Type 3 photos just like there is on Type 1 and Type 2s.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Scott, I'm laughing out loud right now, because my first thought when I saw you were the author of the post was, "This has to be some kind of joke, right?" I for one am curious as to what photo you picked up, esoteric or otherwise.
Okay, you caught me - I posted partially because I knew it would make Ben snort his coffee.

I got the Willie Hoppe photo. I have so many classic photos of him that this one needed to be added.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-29-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 PM

Default Two more

Henry did not mention that next to Ruth is Cobb in his civilian clothes because he was late to the HOF ceremonies - can you imagine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 Grand Opening Baseball HOF.jpg (80.8 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg Ty Cobb Bat on Shoulder.jpg (57.9 KB, 300 views)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Jeff

Default Won a Few More Tonight (Lost Even More :( )

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Graig Kreindler

Jeff, you won some KILLER shots. That Cepeda portrait is a real beaut. Congrats!

Graig
Old 11-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Banned

Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Banned