NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Robert A

Default Are you collecting by location?

How many of you guys collect according to a specific location or region?

A few folks I know around here (seattle) adhere pretty strictly to collecting Seattle players or at least regional issues like obaks, zees, popcorn cards, etc.

What cards do you collect from your city,state, or region? Tell us which are the most difficult to find.

Also, have you been able to find any of these cards because of where you're located?

Here in the Northwest, I do run into more PCL cards because so many friends and collectors around here collect them. What's your experience.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 05-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Are you collecting by location?

I am in the same boat (also from Washington) as you and at the moment I am collecting mainly items that relate to the northwest. I also started collecting cards of first baseman, trying to get nice action images.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Dan Bretta

This topic is right up my alley. I collect Nebraska related items, but really like to focus on Lincoln.

Anything related to the Western League and Nebraska State League Lincoln clubs pre 1947 is extremely difficult to come by.

I also have an extensive collection of Guy W. Green's Nebraska Indians barnstorming team which was based out of Lincoln.

edited to add: I find almost nothing locally. If it were not for ebay I would not be collecting this way.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 05-12-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 PM
David McDonald

My collecting habits are all over the map. I've stepped away from set collecting for the most part for the obvious reasons and focus instead on certain teams and players and whatever themes I can come up with. I generally do not collect "by location" but in the case of those beautiful Obaks, rather than tackle all of them I am focusing on the Vancouver (1910 & 1911) and Victoria (1911) cards, two cities that I am personally connected to. Presently have 13 of 16 1910 Vanc., 3 of 12 1911 Vanc. and 10 of 11 1911 Vic.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Clint

I collect Kansas baseball and the players from or who played in the minor leagues there. I've obtained several locally and also through ebay, auctions and Net54 friends. Here's a sample of what I collect.

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss336/kscards/
Old 05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
JeR@Me

Default Re : Are you collecting by location ?

I primarily collect only Nashville, Tn. Baseball related items, but dabble a bit into the Southern Assoc/League with other area teams in the state such as Chattanooga, Memphis, and Knoxville.

I collect all existing Nashville cards including T210, T211, T213, E-254, E-270, T206-Hindu's, PC's, Photo's, Programs, Autographs, Balls, Uni's, schedules.

As far as difficulty, all of the above Type's are pretty difficult. I would say the T211's have to be the most difficult if I were to peg a group, but then you can get into certain players in all of these type sets that are impossible to find, as evidenced by POP reports, etc. (There are T210's, T211's that have no pop report in SGC or PSA, so this should give you an idea that a single card has not been graded on several of the cards that I collect).

I have been able to acquire about 1/4 of the cards in the Southeast, but I would say 1/2 of the cards have been acquired via Ebay, and the remaining 1/4 with the help of fellow Collector's, Networking, Net 54, etc.

The PC Below is of the 1908 Champion Nashville Vols. It has a interesting Stamp on it as well. I know of only 1, possibly 2 more that exist...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1908NashVolsPC.jpg (81.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg ColgansTinTopsE270Welchonce1.jpg (27.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg E270Wiseman.jpg (23.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg t210nashvillelefties.jpg (88.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg T211Wiseman.jpg (42.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
R Dixon

Default I collect local

I collect the T-210 series 3 with my main focus being the Houston club. I made a trip around town to the local shops and most of the shop owners had never heard of these cards. I did see a stack of them for sale at the Astros Fanfest this year. It was a nice collection, but the guy wanted like $150 for a poor conditioned Houston card. With some patience, I expect to pay about $30-$50 per card.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM

Default Exception to the rule

I live a few miles from the Atlantic Ocean here in Maine, so naturally I'm attacted to Pacific Coast League catchers.

Patrick
Old 05-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Robert A

Very cool stuff guys. Thanks for sharing.

David, No Hawaiian baseball stuff?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Steven Finley

Besides t206's. I focus on Tommy Bridges, the former Detroit Tigers Pitcher who graduated from my High School here in Middle Tennessee. Like Jeremy I also collect Nashville Vols issues. By the way Jeremy are you located here in Middle Tennessee? I'm about 10 minutes outside of Downtown Nashville in Hendersonville.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Al

I do collect things related to baseball in New Jersey - not necessarily pro baseball, just baseball in general. My collection is not very large - it's mostly postcards - but I've got a few nice items in it.

-Al
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
Very cool stuff guys. Thanks for sharing.

David, No Hawaiian baseball stuff?
David should be scouring the Hawaiian flea markets for a poster from Spalding's world tour or Alexander Cartwright items.

.....I know I would be...even knowing how frivolous that effort would be.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Sean BH

I collect only Minnesota stuff...I also have a large Gavvy Cravath collection but he played for Minneapolis (but most of it his is Philly stuff). I'm currently trying for a near master set of T206 backs for the Minneapolis and St. Paul teams, no big rush and things are pretty cheap.

The reason I got back into collecting was by finding a Young Minneapolis T206 card when I was looking for "Old Minneapolis" stuff on eBay. It seems to make it easier for the wife to put up with since I'm not only collecting cards, but also a small piece of history from our hometown.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 AM

While I have a few other items in my collection, I have always collected Baltimore Orioles material (mostly modern) but have lately found myself branching out into the "Charm City" pre-war realm.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 AM

I've always hand a fondness for New Orleans issues, but never stayed focused enough to really commit to them. Could be a wonderful theme for a collection.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Rawn Hill

I figured with my rather limited funds that collecting Maine memorabilia would be a reasonable task. I could not have been more wrong. I've managed to keep my focus within 25 miles of my house, but that still leaves Carrigan, Willard Mains and Sidd Farrar.

Rawn
Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
John Spano

My primary focus is Pittsburgh but also keep my eyes open for South Carolina items.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 AM
David Poses

Default New York

I'm from New York, live in New York, my family's business has been around for 101 years and has been the largest employer in the Bronx for as long, so, I collect Yankees cards. I am trying to complete Yankee/Highlander subsets of every set that interests me (there are many). At the moment, I only have a few actually complete, but I have representatives from many pre and post war. With this approach, I can switch focus from set to set whenever I want, and there's usually something on eBay at any given moment which fits into my criteria.

Here are a few examples:

1914 Cracker Jack Peckinpaugh SGC 40

E97 Kleinow

E101 Knight

1951 Berk Ross Mize PSA8
Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Robert A

Dr D. and Louisiana residents.

I'm especially curious if you have found any of the LA issues out of the hobby down there?

Rob
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Default Louisiana Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
Dr D. and Louisiana residents.

I'm especially curious if you have found any of the LA issues out of the hobby down there?

Rob

Rob,

I have yet to find much of anything out of the state since Hurricane Katrina. However...with much effort, I have been able to secure the following T213 Coupon merchandise for my Louisiana collection from various auctions.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM
marty

I think If I was from a specific area that played a important role in pre war baseball, then I might collect players from that area but in my case,..I am not so NO, I don't collect per a specific area..

Last edited by martyogelvie; 05-14-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
JeR@Me

Default Hello Steven !

Yes, I am in Middle Tennessee... I am a Native Nashvillian -

Email sent -
Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 PM

Yes, but my luck too has been limited to T213-2's, bought a group of 25 of em from a bum on Bourbon.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdduet View Post
Yes, but my luck too has been limited to T213-2's, bought a group of 25 of em from a bum on Bourbon.

On what corner is said bum?