NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Joe

Default Bank Check Question (Cobb)

I collect mostly T206 cards and have not ventured into the memorabilia space, but I have always wanted to get a Cobb bank check.

For checks in general, is there anything I should read to educate myself on what to look for?

a. Should I pay extra for a graded / certerfied check? (ie, is there a lot of counterfits)

b. If the signiture is authetic, is it worth more/less if the rest of the check does not appear to be signed by the person (ie, wife wrote check, Cobb signed check).

c. I've noticed the Cobb checks, some have his signiture in green. Is it worth more/less if the whole check is in green? Or if the it is a blue ink / green ink combination? Or all in blue?

I'm sure trying to educate myself on these types of things so I can make the best decision when shopping. If there is additional information I should know, I would appreciate the info!

Thanks in advance!
JB
Old 07-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Jon Canfield

All in all, Cobb bank checks are pretty good and relatively inexpensive so an authentic Cobb signature. I can't recall off the top of my head, but there are a few years to watch out for (I think Cobb's wife may have signed a few checks). Generally I'd probably stick to an authenticated Cobb check, simply for piece of mind even though very few may be forgeries.

I'm not sure if green vs. blue/black has much of a value difference. Personally I like the green as that is what Cobb preferred to use. One thing to look our for, however, is making sure you get a clean signature. There are so many Cobb checks out there, wait until you find one with no cancellation marks or stamps around or through the signature. I also tend to like checks without folds and that are very bold.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Steve Zarelli

I don't believe there are many forged Cobb checks, however, you need to be wary of photocopies in framed displays. I have heard of people being duped by this as it is very difficult to tell it's a copy when under glass.

Also, be aware that some were filled out in someone elses hand (but signed by Cobb). There is definately a price gap between all in Cobb's hand vs just the signature. From what I have seen, the checks filled out by his wife are pretty obvious.

Also, the green ink does drive a premium over black or blue.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 07-20-2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Jon Canfield

I found the article written by Ron Keurajian on Cobb signature... http://www.autograph-club.org/autogr...utographs.html

Near the bottom there is mention of a small sample of Cobb checks from 1947 to mid-1948 that may have been signed by Cobb's wife. As pointed out, however, they are probably fairly easy to spot as her handwriting was different.