NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Chris Counts

Default Any ideas where these old team photos came from?

A friend asked me to post these. He's curious where they come from. They are printed on thin magazine-style paper, but they have blank backs. They seem to depict some of the best 19th century teams, as well as one 20th century team. Some have the team's name and year written on the back in pencil. They range in size from about 3x4 inches to about 4x7 inches. The writing on the back looks very old. It's too bad that somebody doodled all over them. In addition to what I've posted, there's another nine baseball team photos, plus a handful of Revolutionary War scenes. Any help offered is appreciated ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc0006464a.jpg (78.2 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg sc000623f0.jpg (78.7 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg sc000604f0.jpg (78.6 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg sc00070ee9.jpg (71.7 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg teams.jpg (49.9 KB, 201 views)
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 AM

They are very likely cut out of 19th- and early 20th-century books. For example, I think the color image at the bottom is out of Harry Clay Palmer's Sights Around the World With the Base Ball Boys book published in 1893 (or is it 1892?). I will defer to the book and publication experts here for further details.

Hope this helps,
Charles
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Barry Sloate

The color plate is actually from Palmer's Athletic Sports in America. It shows the Chicago White Stockings and the All-American team of all stars at the Villa Borghese in Italy, during the 1888-89 around the world baseball tour. I suspect the other photographs are cut out from various turn of the century baseball books.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Mark

FWIW, those are the 1889 Boston and Louisville teams.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Shawn England

Correct me if I am wrong... There appears to be a red border / edge / trim around ALL of the images you posted???

Is this hand colored in or is it part of the printed image?

If it is part of the print - then I would think these were cut from the same place?

Last edited by smokelessjoe; 10-23-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Chris Counts

Shawn, at first I thought the red might be printed, but on one of the non-sport images, there are doodles in red that match the patterns of the other doodles, which are in blue.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Shawn England

I see... So are you thinking someone traced each image in red and then cut it out?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the correction, Barry. I knew it was Palmer, just mixed up the actual books! Sorry for the initial misinformation.

Best,
Charles
Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
George

Actually several of the team photos have been trimmed and removed directly from the Palmer's Athletic Sports in America, England and Australia book. The color plate is on page 373 and is titled "The Chicago and All-American Teams Ready for Play at Villa Borghese, Rome." I also see the Baltimore, Indianapolis and Louisville team photos in the same book and each have the blank backs.

I don't know about the origin of the other items although it is likely that they also came from a late 19th or early 20th century book. It's too bad that someone would have cut these out of larger items. Many of the full page color and b/w illustrations in these books have blank backs.

I do not believe that any of the non-Palmer photos are actual supplements from period newspapers including the Temple Cup composite. If they were a supplement, they would typically include the newspaper source and possibly a serial # (below scans are small but both show the source of NY recorder and a portion of the serial #). Additionally, supplement paper tends to be slightly thicker. You can see that this ebay auction has no source indicator and it looks similar to the one you've posted except for the missing white borders in your post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1892 NY Recorder.jpg (20.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 1892 NY Recorder Giants.jpg (20.4 KB, 84 views)