NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Steven

Default What's up with t205s?

I don't collect this set, but one day I hope to and loosely follow it and have a few including the Johnson. It seems like prices have come down in the last 6 months, maybe I'm wrong here. I always thought it was a great set and the appealing thing to me was the wide array of players/teams included, colors, stats on the back and the lack of repeat player cards as in the t206 set. What's responsible for these prices? Am I just seeing things that do not exist? Is the back/variation frenzy of t206s having an affect? Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I'm surprised that there are significantly less print errors, scraps and blank backs in this set.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default T205

The set that almost has it all!

We don't have simulated sunsets. We don't have Honus Wagner, Eddie Plank or Nap Lajoie.

We do have rare backs, tougher variations, SP's and lots of color.

But these best thing about T205 I think is the bio and the stats!

Growing up in the early 70's I studied the backs of the topps cards until I had information on nearly every player memorized...you cant do that with many other prewar sets.

They are a good bargain in the card market now, as Steve mentioned, dunno why but I guess its time to take advantage of that

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Be.n C0z1n

Personally, this is my favorite pre-war set along with the T-227 set, and I to noticed that prices seem to be down. Really a colorful set that doesn't get the respect it deserves in my opinion.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Pup6913

Its because I am selling the last of my cards. Market always takes a dive when I need to sell My luck I guess
Old 10-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Its because I am selling the last of my cards. Market always takes a dive when I need to sell My luck I guess
Andrew - Your Mr 205, the prices are low, correct? Why? I prefer these over t206s, I know Im in the vast minority as well. When did the slide start?

Last edited by rainier2004; 10-28-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Zach

What has dropped in some of the bigger name cards. I had to sell my Addie Joss for 550, and my Bobby Wallace no cap only went for 100. I sold all my T205s except my Ty Cobb, and most of the lower end ones sold for the usual prices.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I can explain some of this...two rather large collections have hit the market this year (although piecemealed out on ebay and auction houses). That led to almost 500 new to the hobby cards this year plus a few "finds" of tougher cards and backs have impacted sales. I can say that prices for low grade stars and rarities have tanked. Joss, Wilhelm, Cobb, Matty, Johnson, Rowan, Graham Cubs, Gray with Stats have all been down lately. Commons can be had for between 10-15 in p-f condition which is down from about 7 years ago (before the economy truly tanked) where they were 15-20. High grade is still selling nicely though just because these are rarely found in high grade.

For me, this is great as I collect low grade only and can afford to buy bundles of cards now instead of just a few. Honestly, I hope they stay down for a bit. I feel most cards have come down lately as well.

Joshua
Old 10-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Andrew - Your Mr 205, the prices are low, correct? Why? I prefer these over t206s, I know Im in the vast minority as well. When did the slide start?

I think the prices have been falling since last yr in the fall. I took a big hit on my set when I sold it at auction. Some of the prices were faint in comparison to what I had paid for the cards just earlier last yr. I have noticed prices continue to slide downward slowly since then. There are spikes every now and then. Just enough to keep the market from bottoming out. I will agree with Josh that the cards have fallen since the economy has but the 205's have continued to slide while most have gained some foot hold. Lack of knowledge in the set and lack of collectors are also a good reason for the decline. There is just no invested interest in the set with collectors.

I will say that the rarer backs will and have stayed steady with increases lately. Sold a bunch at nationals for far greater than market values. Only the guys that negotiated got the cards for near market values. Everyone else just bought to get them. May have been the Nationals also
Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Personally, as a collector, I don't like the "floating head" look of T205's. (I know that other collectors really like the images of T205's, so to each, his own.) Originally, I thought about collecting T205's since it seemed like a major set like T206. However, then, you might as well collect the more "prestigious" T206 rather than its little brother IMHO.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think the t205s are a ton better looking than 206 and always have. I understand I am in the minority but it's my opinion and the way I feel . To me there is no better looking T206 than a T205 Cobb like this one. (shown a million times but who cares .....)

Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Zach

[QUOTE=Leon;1048554]Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think the t205s are a ton better looking than 206 and always have. I understand I am in the minority but it's my opinion and the way I feel . To me there is no better looking T206 than a T205 Cobb like this one. (shown a million times but who cares .....)

I am with you Leon T205 looks way better than T206. The card are beautiful even in poor condition. It sucks I only have 1 left, I am surprised these cards are not as popular, they look like they should be worth a ton. The Cobb is probably one of the best in the set and the only T205 I still own.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think the t205s are a ton better looking than 206 and always have. I understand I am in the minority but it's my opinion and the way I feel . To me there is no better looking T206 than a T205 Cobb like this one. (shown a million times but who cares .....)

I'm a fan of T205s too, but find the set to be prescient. Specifically the different formats of the American and National Leagues in this set foreshadow the designated hitter rule which also makes the Leagues fundamentally different. Interestingly I prefer the style of the National League T205s and I prefer the National League without the DH. I like being consistent.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Barry

Completely agree with you Frank, concerning your preference for the National leaguers in the t205's. I started a collection of t205's several years ago in mid grade condition. I put that project on hold to assemble a set of 1914 Cracker Jacks. Now that I am done with the CJ's, I will probably continue heading down the path of t205's (hopefully before the prices recover completely.....).
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

totally agree leon. By far the best looking set. Although the T3's are pretty hot too, think they will be my next set, whenever I finish the T205!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.