NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Default Does this "newer" card have interest for 'vintage' collectors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONUS-WAGNER...51224979581%26

It has Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker
Was wondering, i see these newer cards with old timers on Ebay frequently. Does these items have any influence for you OLD GUYS?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
pete ullman

I have zero interest in crap such as that!

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-26-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM
nels0n aud.et

I am not a fan of post war cards...
Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

I kind of filter this stuff like a pop rock band covering a Beatles song and then asking a 60 year old Beatles fan whether they like it or not.

It's not for "old timers". 95% of the people who get this card have no idea who Speaker is. But, it'll go for a decent chuck of change because of the other 2 names. I'm suprised Topps even knows who Speaker is...

I still collect some modern stuff and I like Topps, but, this is another world entirely.

Last edited by bigwinnerx; 02-26-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Absolutely of no interest to me, (along with Helmar stuff).
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Johnny S

It would be cool to see how they make these but brutal seeing the bats and jerseys cut up, unless they just take any old bat and clothing and claim it to be what it is. It was pretty disgusting to see them cut up the Gehrig jersey but nothing is sacred for the almighty dollar.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I would not buy this and do not buy any products from companies that knowingly destroy genuine memorabilia by cutting it into little pieces.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
I would not buy this and do not buy any products from companies that knowingly destroy genuine memorabilia by cutting it into little pieces.
Exactly how I feel.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Manny
Banned

No one likes these modern jersey cards on this board because they have little experience in handling them, and thus have little appreciation for the benefits.

You see, these cards were invented with one thing in mind: you have to rub the little swatches with your index finger a few times at least once a week. Sometimes I rub first and then scratch and sniff. Not only does it give you good luck, but if you touch a piece of metal right after, it sends an electric charge up your hand! Neat huh?

Last edited by SetBuilder; 02-26-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: removed hosted .jpg.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
i would not buy this and do not buy any products from companies that knowingly destroy genuine memorabilia by cutting it into little pieces.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Jeff

"0" interest

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I would say that the arguments on this board have helped sway me away from this stuff. When these first started popping up when I was a teenager I liked them, but as I got older and started hearing the logic behind why this was a bad thing I found myself disliking them more and more.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

yeah- i always though someone tore up some old underwear or jersey then rubbing it in dirt and grass saying it was game worn. Heard too much bad stuff about these items.
That is why i like the older stuff too. Enjoy all the feedback. Just what i thought i get.
These are more-less sucker cards...I radther spend the 75+ dollars and buy a card pre-war or atleast before 1970.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Auction Outed

I was hoping this auction would fly under the radar and I could win it for a decent price. Thanks a lot

Like others, I have absolutely no interest in this junk.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Bob Donaldson

No interest.

Besides, I feel bidding on an item would just encourage the card companies to destroy more historical artifacts.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
George Gogol

I like the looks of them and really don't have a problem with them, but I won't pay more than $10 for a relic card due to the concern over their authenticity. I would love to own that card, for $10.

I really don't understand why a "blue foil" parallel, or one numbered /10 is worth so much more for the same photo, auto, or relic made from a diff. color cardboard. That seems incredibly stupid to me. Just my opinion, never been into collecting "the rainbow," like a lot of modern collectors.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM

I don't like game used and cut signature cards, but have nothing against many newer cards. I've bought Topps Chrome packs from the local drug store and liked the product. I thought some of the Topps Archive cards were well done too. Some of the non-cut autograph cards can be nice too.

Yes, in particular I dislike old jerseys, bats and documents being cut up. Though jersey swatches of any kind and player/era don't do it for me. A little piece of cloth doesn't excite my senses.

Also, I want Ty Cobb on a 1913 card not a 2013 card. Felix Hernandez on a 2013 is fine.

That's just my taste.

Last edited by drc; 02-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Can't say it any better.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Johnny S

They tore down the house that Ruth built so everything else might as well go with it, destroy destroy destroy
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Tony Quinn

Default Not that bad

I like some ot them. I could never afford a Ty Cobb bat or Lou Gehrig's jersey, but I can afford a card with a piece of that item in it. I really have to hope that the items they cut up are pieces or fragments of the original ie: a broken bat or damaged jersey that isn't worth a whole lot. A memorabilia card gives the collector a chance to have a piece of history, albeit a small one.
It's because of these type cards that my son (13) has any interest in card collecting at all. He just can't make a connection with a photo on a piece of cardboard but he can touch and enjoy multi-colored patch pieces that bring him closer to baseball. Maybe someday he'll take an interest in other stuff, but at this point I'll take what I can get. At least I can get him to go to card shows with me and we can spend quality time together.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Tony Davis

Default one bat???

Seriously - one Ty Cobb bat, shaved down, wood chip by wood chip, there could be 5,000 of these cards made from just one bat. I like how they designate that this is 1/18. They forget to tell you that little by little, year by year, that bat is going to produce thousands of "relic" cards!

and I'm sure that bat "shaving" comes from the center of the bat where Ty never touched!

As for the game worn jersey, I'm sure it's his pants that are all cut up- or maybe his jock.

Now that's a card that could garner some interest - "Babe Ruth's game worn, unwashed jock strap - stains and all - relic card"!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Jim Hopkins

I don't mind the ones for active players or recently retired. Some of them that have a letter or patch on them look pretty cool. I hate the ones of long retired players. There's a Willie Keller bat one on Ebay that makes me sick.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I collect them some and I like them. I'm not all that worried about someone cutting up a chipped bat or a pair of pants...I understand that some people may see things differently. Then there are those who would say it is a shame to cut down a tree to make a bat....
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Peter F

I clicked on the link and immediately clicked off it.

I don't think I could have done it any faster if I tried.

sorry but just not into this stuff.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Fred

I'm like most people here. I think it's wrong if they actually cut up relics to make these cheezy cards. The only thing I like about the card is that it has the pictures of three great players.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

They should be beat with what's left of the bats

Member since 2009
Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

These cards have always been a touchy subject on this forum. I believe most of us are against these cards because we are vintage collectors and we collect and preserve history and not destroy it. I think it's probably different with a younger generation that is more interested in newer cards with current players pictured. They may not think as deep into the issue of destroying a bat or jersey to produce the card. It's just a limited issue card with value to many of them. The bottom line is most current card companies would be out of business if these cards were not issued. It's what sells the cards. Some like the chase while others like the quick profit. Either way, they will continue to insert them into packs. Us vintage guys could boycott the new products but honestly how much money do you think Topps makes from us. Most of us either don't buy any at all or buy some only to bring back a little feeling of the enjoyment and excitement that we had as kids opening a pack of cards. I personally don't collect them. I do sometimes search ebay to see how many different types of these limited cards there are with certain players but its just so out of control.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 AM
M@r5h@|| T011¡\/€R
Mars.hall Tol.liver

Default don't trust 'em

While on vacation once, I picked up this card, (along with some other Jersey/bat/sig insert cards.) Paid around 100 bucks for it. I thought it was pretty cool as I'll never be able to own a game used Wagner bat or Jersey. When I got home I thought I'd research the card online. The first thing I saw was numerous sites questioning the authenticity of the card due to the gray swatch on the right. Many people were pointing out that clearly this type of material was not in use during Wagner's playing days. My own fault for not paying more attention to what I was buying. I guess I just blindly trusted the company name. I'm not saying the card is not legit, but there seems to be a lot of questions about it's authenticity. I learned my lesson and I now steer clear of these types of cards. (Note: this is not my actual card, but a scan I found online. I believe mine is # 04/10)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-sterling-honus-wagner-relic.jpg (29.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 AM

Most modern collectors I know don't care for game-used cards as well. Too many problems with authenticity and if you look at the fine print on the back of more recent Topps cards, these swatches aren't specifically called game-used. They are deemed "memorabilia" and do not come from "any specific game or event".
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Completely agree!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Im trying to grab all these I can... Cuz in a hundred years, they'll have a way to rejoin 'em, and Teddy Ballgame too.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
Completely agree!
I really wouldn't worry about it, several of these game-used cards aren't real pieces of memorabilia anyway.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
While on vacation once, I picked up this card, (along with some other Jersey/bat/sig insert cards.) Paid around 100 bucks for it. I thought it was pretty cool as I'll never be able to own a game used Wagner bat or Jersey. When I got home I thought I'd research the card online. The first thing I saw was numerous sites questioning the authenticity of the card due to the gray swatch on the right. Many people were pointing out that clearly this type of material was not in use during Wagner's playing days. My own fault for not paying more attention to what I was buying. I guess I just blindly trusted the company name. I'm not saying the card is not legit, but there seems to be a lot of questions about it's authenticity. I learned my lesson and I now steer clear of these types of cards. (Note: this is not my actual card, but a scan I found online. I believe mine is # 04/10)
Wow, that is horrible! The swatch on the right is definitely not Honus Wagner...maybe Billy Wagner.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Jay Shelton

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a modern collector when I was trying to get back into the hobby about 10 years ago. I quit collecting in 1983-84, and I had to be "educated" on such new terms as "pulls," "memorabilia cards," "cut cards," "relic cards," etc. This friend then showed me some Topps T206 cards and explained that "they are modern day players on the old tobacco card format, and you get a relic card with each box!" I reasoned, if I can pay $75-80 dollars for modern day player reproductions of tobacco cards and get perhaps one genuine tobacco card in a modern box, why not just spend the $75-$80 on a few genuine T206 cards for my collection and call it a day?

I've felt that way ever since. Only collect T206, some Goudeys and Playball, and the Bowman (art) baseball cards (1950-52).

Gimmicky, I think, in my opinion.