NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1980 & Newer Sports Cards B/S/T

Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Scott R

Default WTB Puig Auto RC

Looking for a nice leaf auto
Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Don't to be a jerk, but save your money and wait til he goes into a slump. You don't want to spend $200+ on his auto right now, when you can get it for around $50 when he settles. He has no track record in the minors or majors, just a matter of time...
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Scott R

Ive watched the rise of a lot of ball players and understand they all at some point hit a slump but there's something about this guy that tells me he will be a major factor in LA and baseball. 44 hits in his first month?!!!!!

found a nice leaf auto on ebay for $175.00 - Im a hugh jerk btw

Last edited by ScottR81; 07-02-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR81 View Post
Ive watched the rise of a lot of ball players and understand they all at some point hit a slump but there's something about this guy that tells me he will be a major factor in LA and baseball. 44 hits in his first month?!!!!!

found a nice leaf auto on ebay for $175.00 - Im a hugh jerk btw
He sure has had quite a month indeed lol, but he definitely will be good but cannot sustain this

Nice, hopefully he can keep it up
Old 07-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Paul

The day after McGwire broke Maris' record, I walked into a baseball card shop and sold about 150 McGwire cards for a few hundred dollars. One of the smartest decisions I ever made with cardboard.

Never buy modern cards when the player is hot. The prices always come down. Time to sell Puig, not buy him. Put another way, the prices reflect what you would pay if the guy is a moderate Hall of Famer in 20 years. Much more likely he's the next Ruben Sierra or Andruw Jones....

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I agree for the most part but the modern examples given are for players who peaked later in their career as is the case in most instances, however, there is no way Puig is 'peaking' the first month of his career. If he slumps his cards might plateau for a while but I doubt they'll come down. I am on the side of the fence that says buy now because you'll only see an increase later when he leads the Dodgers to the promised land. I would advise you to avoid Leaf though, the non-licensed stuff with no team logos in the Valiant and Memories sets will most definitely come down as the licensed material hits the market which is about to happen. There are redemption inserts for his first licensed auto's in 2013 Bowman and Bowman Inception. I would invest in those or wait for his first Bowman Chrome auto in November which will be widely accepted as his most important autographed card.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Didn't Strasburg cards peak 5 games into his career? As Paul says, the hype builds almost all the POTENTIAL value in up front.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
I agree for the most part but the modern examples given are for players who peaked later in their career as is the case in most instances, however, there is no way Puig is 'peaking' the first month of his career. If he slumps his cards might plateau for a while but I doubt they'll come down. I am on the side of the fence that says buy now because you'll only see an increase later when he leads the Dodgers to the promised land. I would advise you to avoid Leaf though, the non-licensed stuff with no team logos in the Valiant and Memories sets will most definitely come down as the licensed material hits the market which is about to happen. There are redemption inserts for his first licensed auto's in 2013 Bowman and Bowman Inception. I would invest in those or wait for his first Bowman Chrome auto in November which will be widely accepted as his most important autographed card.
Disagree, this is probably it for him, unless he pulls off a Trout kind of year. His cards are only fetching this much because he barely has any cards. Plus, it's speculation to how long he will last etc., and I don't see Dem Bums going to the promise land anytime soon unfortunately.

His prices are driven by supply vs demand right now. If he had a ton more cards produced, they wouldn't be at these prices. $3,500 for a 1/1 autograph, come on, I got all my signed T206's at half that by HOF'ers and my Gehrig for less than that.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
His prices are driven by supply vs demand right now. If he had a ton more cards produced, they wouldn't be at these prices.
Supply vs demand...isn't that what drives ALL card prices? He currently has no less cards distributed than any other typical rookie. The difference is he doesn't have any licensed product released. I agree, the card prices for his current product are inflated, but I only say that because his licensed material hasn't hit yet. Once they do hit his current non-licensed product will go down, way down because they aren't considered his ROOKIE cards. It happened with Yu Darvish's WBC cards...but Puig's 2013 Bowman Auto's will still see an increase just as Darvish's did in 2012 because they will be cataloged as his ROOKIE card. Did Darvish's cards go down when the hype subsided? No. And Darvish is a pitcher, generally speaking, position players ALWAYS demand higher premiums because there is less of a risk of injury (of course, the way Puig plays one could argue that point). I say go get those redemptions early and set the market and you'll be fine. If you wait too long you won't be setting the market, you'll be reacting to it.

Quote:
$3,500 for a 1/1 autograph, come on, I got all my signed T206's at half that by HOF'ers and my Gehrig for less than that.
Every vintage collector will shake his head at a Harper, Trout, or Puig rookie sales price and think of what they could've gotten with that instead but most of the collectors in America like shiny and new, and I welcome it. The prices are more volatile but if your ear is constantly to the ground there is a lot more money to be made, profits that could ultimately buy you that long sought after Gehrig card.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Supply vs demand...isn't that what drives ALL card prices? He currently has no less cards distributed than any other typical rookie. The difference is he doesn't have any licensed product released. I agree, the card prices for his current product are inflated, but I only say that because his licensed material hasn't hit yet. Once they do hit his current non-licensed product will go down, way down because they aren't considered his ROOKIE cards. It happened with Yu Darvish's WBC cards...but Puig's 2013 Bowman Auto's will still see an increase just as Darvish's did in 2012 because they will be cataloged as his ROOKIE card. Did Darvish's cards go down when the hype subsided? No. And Darvish is a pitcher, generally speaking, position players ALWAYS demand higher premiums because there is less of a risk of injury (of course, the way Puig plays one could argue that point). I say go get those redemptions early and set the market and you'll be fine. If you wait too long you won't be setting the market, you'll be reacting to it.
Licensing or not, collectorsgrab all they could get, and he didn't have much. If Puig had Bowman, Topps, UD etc etc etc when he came up, a normal base wouldn't be going nuts...And with Darvish, you're kidding right? His prices are one fifth of what they were last year. When the hype settled, they died down, quite a bit. His base signed bowman's were selling close to $1,000 last year when they first came out, now, MAYBE $125...it will happen with Puig, as it did with Trout and Harper and everyone else.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 07-16-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
I agree for the most part but the modern examples given are for players who peaked later in their career as is the case in most instances, however, there is no way Puig is 'peaking' the first month of his career.
Bo Hart...
...If you don't recall who Bo is then let me refresh your memory.
He debuted June 19th and in his first 10 games he hit .460. His BA didn't go below 300 until August. He only ended up playing 88 games between 2003 and 2004.

I am not saying Bo Hart's start is equal to Puig, merely addressing the point about players that peak at the beginning of their career.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 07-16-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Brent, I think you're missing my point...yes, every hyped stud eventually goes down in value after the hype relaxes...Trout, Harper, Strasburg, etc...but the hype never relaxes until after the licensed material has been out for a while. You're saying that Puig has peaked even before his licensed material has come out. I respect your opinion but just don't see that happening, especially with comp prices of the redemption cards being what they are already. I am merely saying buy those redemption cards of licensed material early before it does peak and resell before it goes down. Of course, there are always exceptions to these rules, however, considering this is an int'l player playing for the #2 market in baseball I doubt this is one of them. Of course, as a Dodgers fan myself, I must admit, I am just a tad bit biased in the discussion.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Brent, I think you're missing my point...yes, every hyped stud eventually goes down in value after the hype relaxes...Trout, Harper, Strasburg, etc...but the hype never relaxes until after the licensed material has been out for a while. You're saying that Puig has peaked even before his licensed material has come out. I respect your opinion but just don't see that happening, especially with comp prices of the redemption cards being what they are already. I am merely saying buy those redemption cards of licensed material early before it does peak and resell before it goes down. Of course, there are always exceptions to these rules, however, considering this is an int'l player playing for the #2 market in baseball I doubt this is one of them. Of course, as a Dodgers fan myself, I must admit, I am just a tad bit biased in the discussion.
No I understand you lol. You are correct, and every chases that 'first' bowman card. I honestly don't think his licensed stuff (which is out now with redemptions and his bowman cards) will go up anymore. The lore of him has dwindled considerably since his debut. While he still is playing a high level of game, it's been over a month now and the focus has been elsewhere, especially with the all star game.

Hey, I love the Dodgers, I have a team signed ball for this year, so I'm hoping they can go all the way so I can sell it . BTW, Matt Kemp, boy has be matured. He is one of the nicest most humbling athletes I've ever met. Reminds me of Josh Hamilton.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
BTW, Matt Kemp, boy has be matured. He is one of the nicest most humbling athletes I've ever met.
I agree. I think Kershaw has had a little to do with that. Kershaw is a Christian and gives his testimony on the I am Second website.

http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/clayton-kershaw/

Ever since, Kemp can be seen wearing an I am Second bracelet. Hopefully Kemp's humility will rub off on Puig. So far Puig's young confidence is coming off a little bit more like arrogance.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 PM
qu@n nguy3n

dodgers fan here also, but imo now's not the time to pay up for a puig card. he is at his peak value, as he'll never hit .400, or .350...so prices will adjust accordingly. he's looking more like a mondesi to me than a vlad guerrero or machado.

kemp may be a nice guy, but seems like he might not recover that power lost after the shoulder injury...same way lots of a-gon's fly balls that went out as a padre now die at the warning track.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 07-18-2013 at 06:57 PM.