NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default 1905 Pittsburg Team Cabinet completed

I finally finished this project - just need to put the pieces together.

I ended up finding a ca. 1900-10 frame that I liked, but couldn't decide between a dark or light mat, so I did both. Which one should I have the framers use?

The cabinet and original mock-up are shown as well, but I couldn't do gold leaf letter-press, so ended up sort of learning calligraphy and doing it myself, black ink on one, gold leaf marker on the other (looks much better in real life). The original scans I used were too red - actual image is more of an olive color, so the brown mat didn't work.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:42 PM
John E.

#2 is the best one...very nice.

One tiny thing...you're missing the 'h' on the end of Pittsburgh. That said, in the old-style calligraphy, it looks intentional, and I know there was more variation in the spelling back then.

Last edited by JMEnglish27; 04-02-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post
#2 is the best one...very nice.

One tiny thing...you're missing the 'h' on the end of Pittsburgh. That said, in the old-style calligraphy, it looks intentional, and I know there was more variation in the spelling back then.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh,_Pennsylvania

"Pittsburgh is one of the few American cities to be spelled with an h at the end of a burg suffix.[23] From 1890 to 1911 the city's "h" was removed but after a public campaign it was officially restored by the United States Board on Geographic Names.[22]"
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Although originally named "Pittsburgh," from 1890 through 1911 the final "h" was not used.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:09 PM
$teve O.

Very nice Scott!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

answered the wrong question ......I like the second one better too.

Last edited by Leon; 04-02-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

I like the ornate frame but it's a little to bold. IMO it dominates the photo to much. The black frame is to settle.

Albert
Old 04-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I like either of the first two. May I make a suggestion? I would probably find a professional calligrapher to do the mat. They do it all of the time so there will be consistency in spacing and letter size and all of the names will look like they are written on lines without there being any. You did a great job and I know how tough it is. I did freehand calligraphy on about 100 wedding invitations for my first wedding. If I had a piece like that and I did the lettering I would look at it every day and say to myself: 'Those letters are slanting.' or 'These capital letters are not the same size'.

I love photographs. That is what I collect and what I do on the side. The few original large photos I have on my wall are in their original mats with hand lettering and that just enhances the photo.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

I agree that the frame is too bold - when I go to the framer in the morning, I will ask about a 'wash' to tone it down a little, but one of my requirements is a period frame, and I have not been able to locate one that's a good fit. At this point I think it's better to have something than nothing. I can always change the frame later, and if I decide to sell it, I probably will. It's a frame-size that was standard back then, so it's just a matter of finding one I like better.

Regarding #1 vs #2 - in 'person', #1 pops real well, and #2 doesn't. Also, as the last poster predicted, I'm already looking at the header in #2 and thinking I just don't like it. But the names and positions are spaced perfectly in the first one, and real close in the second - all were very carefully measured, drawn on lines, then the lines erased. I've spent hours practicing writing these names, until it came naturally, so I'm happy with the results; however, I'm asking the framer, whose opinion I have a great deal of respect for, for honest opinions.

At this point, I just want to get this picture on my wall - it's been in the closet wayyyy too long and needs to be next to my Wagner portrait.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Chris B.

I like the 2nd one as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I agree that the frame is too bold - when I go to the framer in the morning, I will ask about a 'wash' to tone it down a little, but one of my requirements is a period frame, and I have not been able to locate one that's a good fit. At this point I think it's better to have something than nothing. I can always change the frame later, and if I decide to sell it, I probably will. It's a frame-size that was standard back then, so it's just a matter of finding one I like better.

Regarding #1 vs #2 - in 'person', #1 pops real well, and #2 doesn't. Also, as the last poster predicted, I'm already looking at the header in #2 and thinking I just don't like it. But the names and positions are spaced perfectly in the first one, and real close in the second - all were very carefully measured, drawn on lines, then the lines erased. I've spent hours practicing writing these names, until it came naturally, so I'm happy with the results; however, I'm asking the framer, whose opinion I have a great deal of respect for, for honest opinions.

At this point, I just want to get this picture on my wall - it's been in the closet wayyyy too long and needs to be next to my Wagner portrait.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Scott, good on you no matter what you chose. At the end of the day you are the one who will be looking at it. To quote the great Ricky Nelson - "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself"

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 PM

Scott, I too am a fan of Door # 2. Very nice!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Brendan Mullen

Definitely 1.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Bill Boyd

Runscott,

I think you did a fantastic job. Deciding to do the names in free hand gives it a more period look. Those first two were outstanding. Of period, I don't think you would want the lettering and spacing too perfect.
great job.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks all, for your comments and recommendations. After discovering that gold leaf letterpress would be cost-prohibitive (or impossible), I was lucky enough to find this 'Johnson vs Jeffries' huge cabinet photo that has hand-lettering, although much more ornate than I did on this one. Curiously, someone with another one, also hand-lettered, contacted me and sent a nice scan - I used those two examples, along with calligraphy examples on the web, to come up with 'my own' style. I will continue to practice and hopefully be able to use this technique to create additional custom mats for vintage team photos where some of the players have been id'd - place the custom mat over the original, as done here. I already have a few additional candidates, and in those the mats are also in very bad shape.

My 'Johnson vs Jeffries' cabinet uses white lettering over a black mat. If anyone decides to try this, the white ink I found is almost impossible to use - you have to go over it at least twice, as it soaks into the mat. And for gold, the only pens that worked were expensive 'gold leafing' pens that are very wide, or Sharpie gold paint pens. All the rest ends up just being dirty yellow on dark mats.

Off to the framer - here are the stitched-together scans.

The framer was adamant about the dark mat - said that, while you can't read it as well, your attention is drawn to the photo, whereas with the light mat, attention is drawn to the lettering. Should have it Monday - very excited and getting the 1956 Mantle/Berra ball piece ready for her to complete.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh,_Pennsylvania

"Pittsburgh is one of the few American cities to be spelled with an h at the end of a burg suffix.[23] From 1890 to 1911 the city's "h" was removed but after a public campaign it was officially restored by the United States Board on Geographic Names.[22]"
Oh that's awesome. You guys are very thorough, nice!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Jeremy W.

For what it's worth, I like #1 & think your calligraphy looks great.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks, Jeremy. Here's more detail than you need: I did the black ink on the light mat first, then adjusted based on those results, for the gold on dark mat - changed spacing, position, etc. Unfortunately, the pen I used for the header was a very thick-point pen with a chisel tip - I just couldn't get that part right. But I made some nice improvements with the smaller gold lettering - changed the 'G' and 'H', etc. Probably should have done one more mat, but I'm worn out with this project and need to move on.

In short, this is something that anyone can do - just a matter of figuring out the letters and getting them mapped in your head so that they come somewhat naturally.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Jeremy W.

Easier said than done, I'm sure. I forgot to mention that I also like the frame.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Clint

Looks good Scott! Great photo.