NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2016, 06:04 PM
Mike

Default The other T207 backs

Been on the board off and on since about 2006 - my post count is pretty low for the time I've been here. I think this may be the very first post I've started (outside a couple B/S/T posts). Those of you that know me know there's only one thing it could be about... That said, this was intended to be a follow-up post to the T207 basic backs and general info post, but this one was more interesting.

The T207 set has been collected and discussed well enough that information about the front/back relationships has been established for quite a while. In its shortest form, it goes .. there are two main classes: those that can be found with Recruit (150) and those that can be found with Broadleaf (50). The other backs fall in one class or the other. That's it.

Like its more well-studied siblings T206 and T205, though, there are pockets of mystique (or at least mystery) about a few of those "other" backs and their general populations.
  • The Red Cross back has been the odd man out for a long time. Until the recent Louisiana find containing 8 new examples, only a handful were known. Trae R's very recent find of Fournier brought the known player total to 14 (15 cards) all of which are Broadleaf-class cards. How many more will show up? Will all 50 Broadleaf class cards be found?

• Blank-backed T207's have been known for a while, with a large group having been brought (back?) into the hobby in the not-so-distant past. Until recently (2015/2016), only Recruit-class cards had been found with a blank back. In 2015 a Broadleaf-class card was found with a blank back. Two more were found earlier this year - the count now stands at 3 (Fournier, Sweeney, Ragan). How many are known? How tough are they really, compared to T205 or T206?

• The Anonymous (Factory 3, LA) back has always been somewhat misunderstood as it the only back that can be found on the 50 Broadleaf class cards as well as some (50?) of the Recruit-class cards. The "?" is there because, to-date, only 49 Recruits with the anonymous back have been cataloged, and those only recently. All 49 were sold as part of a larger lot in Heritage's Oct 2012 auction. This back is exceedingly difficult for the Recruit-class - harder even than the Broadleaf-class. Sample sizes are tiny - some cards having only 1 or 2 known copies at this point.

• That brings us to the red-headed step-child of the set, the Napoleon back. A Recruit-class only back, the potential fronts total 150 (155 with the known-variations). Based on Net54 surveys revisited only occasionally over the last few (10?) years, it is not clear today that all expected front/back combos exist with the Napoleon back. Given the rarity of Napoleons in general w.r.t. Recruit and the overall apparent lack of interest, its not really a surprise. Readers should not imply that the unconfirmed ones are any more rare or unusual than any other Napoleons - most T207 collectors believe its just a matter of time before these all show up (i.e. once someone notices).

If you have any of these backs and want to show 'em, don't hesitate. If you have more details, general info, questions, comments or feedback, by all means, pile-on. I'll follow up with a Napoleon confirmation thread to see if we can knock out the ones that remain uncatalogued (at least as far as I know).

As I've said many time previously, I'm indebted to the publications of those that have gone before - notably the VCBC articles of board members Bob M and Tim N. My interest would not have been piqued without their effort as inspiration.

Thanks for reading!
--
Mike

Last edited by frohme; 10-28-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Thread links, fix typos.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:55 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default T207's

Hi Mike,
I love your thread. I have never fully understood the breakdown of different backs for the T207's.

Thanks for clarifying this for me. Since I mostly collect just cards that are manufactured in New Orleans, I enjoy seeing the Anonymous backs.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T207.jpg (73.0 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg T207 back.jpg (78.3 KB, 416 views)

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I have this one...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-25-2016, 07:53 PM
Marc

Great info, Mike! The T207s have long been my favorite set, and to me the most interesting, challenging, and mysterious of all sets of the era. As you noted, the tough backs in this set are TRULY tough...far more so than any T206 or T205 counterparts. I really can't add much to your post, as you have laid it out very thoroughly. Here are a few interesting cards, though...a blank backed Lively and some Anonymous Recruit class cards. And even though this is a "backs" thread, here are a couple of interesting fronts as well...a scrap/missing color pass Bodie and Fisher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t207lively 001.jpg (72.2 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg t207anons 002.jpg (72.2 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg t207anons 001.jpg (75.6 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg t207bodiefisher 001.jpg (72.7 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by marcdelpercio; 04-26-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

What a tremendous thread! From time to time, I have pondered buying some T207s. It just seems so enormous...I just don't know where to start! Great information!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 09:14 PM
Rob

Default T207 Napoleon

Including the Evans I just bought on ebay, I have 6 Napoleon backs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t207liviningstonnap687.jpg (58.4 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg t207milannap680.jpg (61.6 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg t207snodgrassnap682.jpg (64.3 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg t207liviningstonnapb688.jpg (74.3 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg t207milannapb685.jpg (71.4 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg t207snodgrassnapb683.jpg (73.8 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg t207olsonnap681.jpg (63.1 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg t207callahannap679.jpg (62.4 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg t207callahannapb686.jpg (75.2 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg t207olsonnapb684.jpg (74.3 KB, 371 views)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:36 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Nice post.

I have 17 t207s, including all the hall of famers. I've thought many times about attempting to complete the set, but am scared off by all the tough cards.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 04-25-2016, 09:54 PM

Somebody last week on eBay bought a Napoleon back of Harry Hooper for $1000.00. A little much for me, but......
Old 04-26-2016, 05:19 AM

Default T207s

The T207 set is certainly a challenge to collect. With the help of Mike and others, I have been able to acquire all the catchers in the set minus Irving Lewis and the Livingston "A" on shirt.

I have also managed to collect all but a Red Cross back in the set. My favorite back is the Cycle back. Have a Red Kuhn and a William Kelly. My lone example of a Napoleon back is George "Peaches" Graham. My only Anon (Factory 3 LA) is Otto Miller.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CYCLEKUHNT207.jpg (41.7 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg CYCLEKUHNBACK.jpg (50.4 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 04-26-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:56 AM
Steven H.

Great write up Mike!!

Here are a few of my tougher cards from my Cincinnati set (in process)

Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 04-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I have given up hope trying to spark any interest in the brown ink Recruit back. I currently have 2 up in the REA auction that haven't even drawn a bid. Back in 2007 Mastro had a common with the brown ink reverse and made a big deal out of it, comparing it to the brown Lenox reverse, and stating it should be considered a true variation. I believe it fetched around a grand. Beckett must have agreed, since they are the only grading company who identify it as such. Perhaps if the other grading followed suit something might happen.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Robert A

John,

I've had SGC grade T207 brown ink backs as such for me. Perhaps they don't anymore.

Mike,

Good thread. With the large group of blank backs that surfaced 10 years ago I don't remember any being non recruit class.

Collectors used to call Anon backs coupons, but only because they had been found with large groups of coupon t213s which doesn't really mean anything.

Like the E98 issue, it's hard to imagine why the backs are anonymous. Although E98s (as we know from the recent large find) were not necessarily inserted into anything. I would imagine anonymous backed t207s were inserted into a Louisiana based cigarette pack.

So it would make sense that they could be coupons.

And if you really think about it, if the folks buying the cigs know that there are cards inside, they wouldn't care after the fact if there was advertising on the backs of the cards. More interested in the fronts.

Rob
Old 04-26-2016, 07:12 PM
Bry@n

Great post Mike, thank you for adding such clear reference material (and thanks for all of the info you have shared over email). Also - very nice cards everyone.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:50 AM

Default my set

A breakdown by tougher backs in the set I have.

Anonymous Fact 3 5
Anonymous Fact 25 11
Broadleaf 19
Cycle 13
Napoleon 3 Ray Fisher, George Mullin No D on Cap, Mike Simon

Pretty shocking how tough Napoleon's are. Of course the first four backs above would be expected to be strongly represented as those cards only come with one of the four backs(excluding Red Cross of course). But when given the chance of having the Recruit and Napoleon parallel checklist and only having three clearly shows their scarcity.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
[*]The Red Cross back has been the odd man out for a long time. Until the recent Louisiana find containing 8 new examples, only a handful were known. Trae R's very recent find of Fournier brought the known player total to 14 (15 cards) all of which are Broadleaf-class cards. How many more will show up? Will all 50 Broadleaf class cards be found?
Does anyone have any additional information about the 5 cards found prior to the Louisiana find?

The first "find" was supposedly 4 cards found sometime around 1983(?). Weaver and Blackburne were 2 of the cards... does anyone know who the other 2 were or where the cards were found?

Then a Lange card was found sometime later. Any info on when/where that one turned up?

Oh and my T207 Factory 3:

Last edited by ZachS; 04-27-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Rob

As mentioned above, here is the Steve Evans, (36 hour eBay turnaround)...The bios on these are interesting...Here they note that Evans was a "comedian", not unlike some of our post-war collector friends on here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t207evansnap689.jpg (61.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg t207evansnapb690.jpg (73.3 KB, 218 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Ken McMillan

Default All Cubs

All cubbies mainly T207
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.0 KB, 216 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Ken McMillan

Different backs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.8 KB, 212 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Luke Lyon

Nice thread, thanks for the info! Napoleons are my favorite back. If anyone ever sees anything I'm selling and has Napoleons to trade, please let me know!

Ken, that is an awesome display. For the Recruit class guys that you have 2 of, does that mean you have Napoleons as well as Recruits, or that you have a Recruit 240 and a 606?
Old 04-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Love this set. Still waiting on a Ward Miller to complete my set. Passed on the last two because they were too nice for me. Here's my Saier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.8 KB, 201 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
Nice thread, thanks for the info! Napoleons are my favorite back. If anyone ever sees anything I'm selling and has Napoleons to trade, please let me know!

Ken, that is an awesome display. For the Recruit class guys that you have 2 of, does that mean you have Napoleons as well as Recruits, or that you have a Recruit 240 and a 606?
Looking for more Cubs with Napoleon backs. Currently have Frank Chance and 1 other CUBBIE. Looking to complete the set and when done, I will have 32 cards. I am also collecting all the different factories on the backs. Have all the Saiers and missing a Ward Miller factory 25 and red cycle Miller and 5 different Napoleons missing. Napoleons are tougher than the Millers.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:00 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Ok, so drum roll time for what I am sure is a dumb/obvious question. I am getting increasingly interested in these little brown cards and have visited/bookmarked the informative links you guys have offered up (including old Net54 threads). However, how do I know which backs the Cardinals players appear on? Either in this thread or the other T207 thread Mike or someone has listed all of the T207 Cardinals and designated which would be found with Recruit backs and Broadleaf backs. How do we know that there aren't any Napoleon or Cycle backs? Not questioning expertise, just trying to understand.

The way I can make sense of this set is to collect them by team. I want to go the Cardinals first and then perhaps the Cubs. I have looked on the sites I have seen mentioned but not seeing a definitive formula regarding backs for the teams' players...or I am not smart enough to understand it. For instance, how does Ken know which Cubbies have Napoleon backs?

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 04-27-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 PM
pete ullman

i have a blank back mcgraw...i wish i picked up more when that little hoard came to market. I also have a ivan olson missing color card.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:25 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Ok, so drum roll time for what I am sure is a dumb/obvious question. I am getting increasingly interested in these little brown cards and have visited/bookmarked the informative links you guys have offered up (including old Net54 threads). However, how do I know which backs the Cardinals players appear on? Either in this thread or the other T207 thread Mike or someone has listed all of the T207 Cardinals and designated which would be found with Recruit backs and Broadleaf backs. How do we know that there aren't any Napoleon or Cycle backs? Not questioning expertise, just trying to understand.

The way I can make sense of this set is to collect them by team. I want to go the Cardinals first and then perhaps the Cubs. I have looked on the sites I have seen mentioned but not seeing a definitive formula regarding backs for the teams' players...or I am not smart enough to understand it. For instance, how does Ken know which Cubbies have Napoleon backs?
Ok, I think I may have answered my own questions. I got to looking on Old Cardboard again and found the checklist of the players and the backs they were printed on. Also, I followed the link that led to the cards of each team. So, between the two lists, I should have all the info I was fretting over. Right?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Ok, I think I may have answered my own questions. I got to looking on Old Cardboard again and found the checklist of the players and the backs they were printed on. Also, I followed the link that led to the cards of each team. So, between the two lists, I should have all the info I was fretting over. Right?

If you get serious about T207, you can collect the different factories on the backs.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
If you get serious about T207, you can collect the different factories on the backs.
Good point, Ken. I have definitely noticed the factories. I am going to ease into this, but there's a lot going on inside this set of cards. A team approach might well work best for me and keep me from being even less disciplined than usual.

How long have you collected T207s? Are you targeting Cubs only, or do you have a broader focus?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:14 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Good point, Ken. I have definitely noticed the factories. I am going to ease into this, but there's a lot going on inside this set of cards. A team approach might well work best for me and keep me from being even less disciplined than usual.

How long have you collected T207s? Are you targeting Cubs only, or do you have a broader focus?

Cubs only for me. There are 32 possibilities including the different factories. I also have a Brown print recruit of one of the players so this brings it to 33 possibilities as targets. Brown print Recruits are rare as is and to find them as Cubs is even more rare. I doubt if I will ever find all the Recruit Cubs in brown ink.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I never considered 30 some odd cards as much of a project until I started taking a deeper look at the T207s like your Cubs team set and the Cardinals team set I am looking into. With the different backs and factories in T207, that is quite a task! The Cubs set would be another one I would like. Happy hunting!

Old 04-27-2016, 08:41 PM
Mike

Default Red Cross

Hey Zach,

I think there hasn't been much change in that area since we hashed through it in 2014 - www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190490. We didn't get much other input, and left things with as much uncertainty as we started, I think...

That said, there is reference from a well-known and respected board member stating visual confirmation of the Ward Miller from a 2005 Net54 thread - see http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=76180. That thread also has the reference to Miller being the 5th Red Cross known. I believe this thread predates Joe Jones' find of Lange in 2006/2007. There's also reference to Lowdermilk ... a few years ahead of its time.

Even in 2003, our esteemed moderator (hi Leon!) knew of 5, four of which had been known for a long time. He also said that (outside of those 5 as I read it) he knew of a Lowdermilk... see http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=63561

Not sure what that all means, other than by piecing things together from various threads, one could argue that:
  1. the five known cards (in 2003) were:
    • Weaver
    • Blackburne
    • Benz
    • W. Miller
    • and a 5th, as yet unknown/unremembered card
  2. The Lange find - former(?) Fourm member Joe Jones (joejo20) - later in the decade was #6.
  3. The 8 cards from George D in 2010 were #'s 7-14 with the first dupe (Blackburne)
  4. Trae R's find recently makes 15.
... or, that could all be bunk.

All we know for certain is that we have images of 12 cards. We also have numerous details and recollections from hobby members with reputations beyond reproach that at least two others exist ... possibly 3 or even 4, if the Lowdermilk referred to in the threads linked above actually exists and had no relation to the George D find.

Its pretty much a morass.
--
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Does anyone have any additional information about the 5 cards found prior to the Louisiana find?

The first "find" was supposedly 4 cards found sometime around 1983(?). Weaver and Blackburne were 2 of the cards... does anyone know who the other 2 were or where the cards were found?

Then a Lange card was found sometime later. Any info on when/where that one turned up?

Last edited by frohme; 04-28-2016 at 04:50 AM. Reason: focus, cleanup
Old 04-27-2016, 08:56 PM
Mike

Default T207 Cardinals

Hey Robert,

The Cardinals you're looking for are pretty well known (or at least mostly).

Broadleaf class - 2 cards (Lowdermilk and Woodburn), 4 backs each (Broadleaf, Cycle, Anonymous factories 3 and 25) = 8 cards

Recruit class - 12 cards (Bresnahan, Ellis, Evans, Golden, Harmon, Konetchy, Oakes, Smith (W), Steele, Steinfeldt, Wilie, Wingo), 3 backs each (Recruit Fac 240 and 606, + Napoleon) = 36 cards.

Add to that the 2 known Anon 3 recruits (Steele, Wingo) and the 1 Red Cross (Lowdermilk) and you have 47 cards.

[This may have been answered this on a previous post for the Cardinals (like for the Cubs for Ken), if so, my apologies.]

--
Mike

Quote:

Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Hey Robert,

Broadleaf class - 2 cards (Lowdermilk and Woodburn), 4 backs each (Broadleaf, Cycle, Anonymous factories 3 and 25) = 8 cards

Recruit class - 12 cards (Bresnahan, Ellis, Evans, Golden, Harmon, Konetchy, Oakes, Smith (W), Steele, Steinfeldt, Wilie, Wingo), 3 backs each (Recruit Fac 240 and 606, + Napoleon) = 36 cards.

Add to that the 2 known Anon 3 recruits (Steele, Wingo) and the 1 Red Cross (Lowdermilk) and you have 47 cards.

[This may have been answered this on a previous post for the Cardinals (like for the Cubs for Ken), if so, my apologies.]

--
Mike
Thanks, Mike! Very helpful information. It should be fun finding these.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Here is my blank back and a Recruit upside down back.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:40 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post

Very cool, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:45 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Hey Robert,

--
Mike
Here are my two Woodburns, I would like to find the other two backs:

Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That Recruit back is killer.....love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post

Old 04-29-2016, 07:25 AM

A couple of odd balls that I have not shown for awhile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T207 miscut backs.jpg (76.0 KB, 158 views)

Tags
napoleon, redcross, t207