NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1920 to 1949 Baseball cards- B/S/T

Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Jay Cee

Default WTB Any Lou Gehrig Exhibit Card(s)

Send scan to jcclarkee@hotmail.com. Many thanks

Jc
Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Nice one at Memory Lane.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Nice one at Memory Lane.
except way too expensive, crazy price imo.....Kudos to the AH....consignor should be kissing their feet.

Last edited by Leon; 01-03-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
except way too expensive, crazy price imo.....Kudos to the AH....consignor should be kissing their feet.
I don't know. One of the most famous and beloved players of all time. His rookie card. And probably less than 35 of so of them in existence. How do compare the scarcity of this to a modern Clemente or a Rose Rookie card? It's a miracle any of these exist if you ask me.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
I don't know. One of the most famous and beloved players of all time. His rookie card. And probably less than 35 of so of them in existence. How do compare the scarcity of this to a modern Clemente or a Rose Rookie card? It's a miracle any of these exist if you ask me.
I agree on the Gehrig due to the scarcity. The collector's that own one should be jumping for joy. I purchased a sgc 1 last year. Glad I did, but I passed on it a year earlier and paid twice the price second time around. But look for this card to move up in prices.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I agree on the Gehrig due to the scarcity. The collector's that own one should be jumping for joy. I purchased a sgc 1 last year. Glad I did, but I passed on it a year earlier and paid twice the price second time around. But look for this card to move up in prices.
You are probably correct. Collectors/investors/dealers will keep them high as to hope for the future and protect their bets. I wish I would have kept mine now .
Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Exhibit cards were never as widely collected, or accepted, like candy, tobacco, or gum cards. Just look at the Mantle in his 51 uniform

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Right but all this has been true for the last however many years of a mature hobby, not like it's newly discovered or newly-accepted as his RC. Exhibits always have been viewed as oddball.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:40 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Right but all this has been true for the last however many years of a mature hobby, not like it's newly discovered or newly-accepted as his RC. Exhibits always have been viewed as oddball.
I guess people arent viewing them as "oddball" anymore. Perhaps collectors are taking notice that post cards are (often) rare and gorgeous images of players during their playing days. Almost like, um, a baseball card!!! I personally dont need a Topps logo or a Piedmont back to tell me what is or isnt oddball.
The bottom-line is that it is acknowledged as the rookie card of the great Lou Gehrig. There are about 35 known total specimens. If a psa 3 of that card sells for what a '52 mantle psa 5 sells for (181 graded by psa alone), is that really so outlandish? I am not a T206 guy, but isnt the pop on this 25 exhibits gehrig right around the Honus Wagner population?

Last edited by orly57; 01-03-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I guess people arent viewing them as "oddball" anymore. Perhaps collectors are taking notice that post cards are (often) rare and gorgeous images of players during their playing days. Almost like, um, a baseball card!!! I personally dont need a Topps logo or a Piedmont back to tell me what is or isnt oddball.
The bottom-line is that it is acknowledged as the rookie card of the great Lou Gehrig. There are about 35 known total specimens. If a psa 3 of that card sells for what a '52 mantle psa 5 sells for (181 graded by psa alone), is that really so outlandish? I am not a T206 guy, but isnt the pop on this 25 exhibits gehrig right around the Honus Wagner population?
I like them myself, but I question the degree to which they are accepted, particularly outside the first card context. I picked up this Ruth (probably one of the highest graded and there are not many of them) for three digits, a fraction of what a midgrade Clemente RC would cost, for example. Maybe the Gehrig is unique because it's his first card, I don't know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth35Exhibit.jpg (71.8 KB, 115 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-04-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

And this Exhibit of two elite HOFers, plus two others, literally cost $200.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grovefoxx.jpg (75.8 KB, 127 views)

Old 01-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

That may be true Peter. First appearances are worth more in everything from comic books to baseball cards. I personally think the 1907 Cobb postcards are grossly undervalued and will one day catch a fire that would make this Gehrig blush. There are 9 graded Wolverine News Ty Cobbs (9 batting and 9 pose) between psa and SGC. There are about 11 Novelty Cutlery Cobbs. They are the first appearances of perhaps the greatest ballplayer of all time, and, they happen to be stunning. Hopefully the Gehrig is the first domino in that chain reaction.
Here is another example of what you alluded to. This Ruth is as beautiful an image as any Ruth baseball card, and is far more rare than the goudeys, but this psa 5 would probably sell for around what a psa 3 goudey sells for. In my mind, this will inevitably change, or in the worst case scenerio, I can keep buying awesome cards for reasonable prices. Honestly, name one "standard issue" Ruth card with a cooler image.
As for the 4 in 1 cards, multi-player cards arent particularly popular in "normal" card collecting either. The johnny bench, nolan ryan, and pete rose rookie cards would be far more valuable if it were just them. Plus one of the great things about postcards is the big bold image of the player, while 4-in-1s are images in small boxes. I like them fine, but they arent as majestic as an individual postcard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.1 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by orly57; 01-04-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Exhibit cards were never as widely collected, or accepted, like candy, tobacco, or gum cards. Just look at the Mantle in his 51 uniform
I assume you are alluding to the 1947-66 Exhibits Mantle. That card is far from rare and was obviously distributed over a period of several years. I assure you that with that gorgeous image, if that card was distributed ONLY in 1951, with a population like that of the 25 gehrig, it would be worth a fortune.

Last edited by orly57; 01-04-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Ne@l K

Knockout Ruth, Orlando!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-05-2017, 10:45 AM
A.J. Johnson

Orlando great Ruth exhibit! Here's mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth21Exibitpsa2.5front.jpg (78.3 KB, 81 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Orlando great Ruth exhibit! Here's mine...
AJ, Orlando: Shhh. No one else needs to know about Exhibits and post cards. They are clearly the red-headed stepchildren of the collectibles world, and no one in their right mind should waste their hard earned money on them (or at least until I've checked more of them off my wantlist.)
Old 01-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Bob Davies

I thought this was a BST thread...
Old 01-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
I thought this was a BST thread...
You're right, it was.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:35 AM
Larry

Quote:
One HUGE +1 there. There are a number of key Exhibits, with the best photo images through the 20's and 30's. Realistic assessment will replace unfounded bias over time--they are great baseball cards, pure and simple!

Regards,

Larry
Old 01-07-2017, 12:37 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
AJ, Orlando: Shhh. No one else needs to know about Exhibits and post cards. They are clearly the red-headed stepchildren of the collectibles world, and no one in their right mind should waste their hard earned money on them (or at least until I've checked more of them off my wantlist.)
I know exactly how you feel Sam. I really don't need the competition on what I believe is rare and significant, yet currently undervalued and under-appreciated enough to pose the very real possibility of substantial appreciation over time.

Good luck on your hunting,

Larry
Old 01-07-2017, 12:43 AM
Larry

Quote:
I assume you are alluding to the 1947-66 Exhibits Mantle. That card is far from rare and was obviously distributed over a period of several years. I assure you that with that gorgeous image, if that card was distributed ONLY in 1951, with a population like that of the 25 gehrig, it would be worth a fortune.
Check out the '51-'53 Exhibit "Made in USA" postcard back that was reissued in 1955, that is, if you can find one. One nice aspect of this card is that the jersey bears the patch that was only worn in '51, i.e., the Mick's rookie season. Last time I checked, the PSA and SGC had graded a total of just two of them. Good luck finding multiples of any card in this series! Can you say "bright future?" Got mine several years ago when it was buried towards the back of a Huggins and Scott auction, where it didn't attract much attention. When I told one seller of other '55 postcard backs how little I paid, his comment was, "you stole that card!" As stated, there are a number of very key Exhibit cards to be rounded up and taken out of circulation!

Happy hunting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-07-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 AM
Larry

Quote:
That may be true Peter. First appearances are worth more in everything from comic books to baseball cards. I personally think the 1907 Cobb postcards are grossly undervalued and will one day catch a fire that would make this Gehrig blush. There are 9 graded Wolverine News Ty Cobbs (9 batting and 9 pose) between psa and SGC. There are about 11 Novelty Cutlery Cobbs. They are the first appearances of perhaps the greatest ballplayer of all time, and, they happen to be stunning. Hopefully the Gehrig is the first domino in that chain reaction.
Here is another example of what you alluded to. This Ruth is as beautiful an image as any Ruth baseball card, and is far more rare than the goudeys, but this psa 5 would probably sell for around what a psa 3 goudey sells for. In my mind, this will inevitably change, or in the worst case scenerio, I can keep buying awesome cards for reasonable prices. Honestly, name one "standard issue" Ruth card with a cooler image.
As for the 4 in 1 cards, multi-player cards arent particularly popular in "normal" card collecting either. The johnny bench, nolan ryan, and pete rose rookie cards would be far more valuable if it were just them. Plus one of the great things about postcards is the big bold image of the player, while 4-in-1s are images in small boxes. I like them fine, but they arent as majestic as an individual postcard.
As you already know, Orlando, great minds think alike!

Best wishes,

Larry