NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2020, 05:00 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default What are you doing during the down time (hobby related)?

Our state is shut down. Last I checked, I think hospitals, grocery stores, banks and restaurants (take out only) are still open. Crazy. My personal guess is that it’ll happen nationwide, but who knows.

Anyway there are other threads for speculation. For this one I’m curious about what other people are doing....buying, selling, sorting, finally putting those sets in binders? I’m doing a Marie Kondo of every single thing. Surprisingly, the pile of things that don’t spark joy is growing quickly. Looking forward to the next show I set up at....whenever the hell that happens.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:05 PM
Bob McLean

General cleaning closets and storage rooms. Working to consolidate and organize cards from collections bought in the past. Trying to make things more easily found when needed. Such is the life of an old timer who buys it all!
Old 03-16-2020, 05:18 PM
Dave Johnson

I am working from home, as is my wife. I think this will be status quo for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:22 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Still trying to find a job which has now been made to be incredibly difficult because nobody knows what the future is going to hold and are pretty much not hiring right now. And to make matters worse the unemployment runs out in four weeks. Looks like it's Uber driving for me!

The good Lord has provided this far for my wife and I am am sure he will continue doing so. Something with break soon. Cleaning the basement is on the agenda for this week.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:24 PM

Will be going fishing. No people, no recirculated air, no restaurants or stores to go in, no door knobs and such to touch, no news talking about doomsday. Is cheap, easy on the soul and mind, wonderful scenery, a most fun game to catch Mr. bass or trout.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:25 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I hope everyone is able to enjoy their cards in their downtime. For me, I'll be cleaning and organizing.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:33 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfcollector View Post
I am working from home, as is my wife. I think this will be status quo for the foreseeable future.
For now, I'm just admiring Dave's photo icon of Mr. Crawford.
For the duration I'm having a unique opportunity to work on a couple of projects including a new set from Banty Red. It seemed like an impossible mountain that I put off twice in the past. There is time for the foreseeable future to put it together.
I have a few boxes of negatives to go through and catalog as well.

I don't have any idea when we'll be back on the field in the HS &/or college game. There's actual work to do but it's hard to prepare for the June draft without seeing kids play and that causes some discomfort but it is what it is. There's been a complete shutdown--complete. I will say this...if the draft happens in June, it will be wildly less predictable.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Working from home. In the downtime I have several albums of boxing type cards that are badly out of order, so I will re-order them. I've been putting it off for a long time, so may as well do it now.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-16-2020, 07:29 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Still trying to find a job which has now been made to be incredibly difficult because nobody knows what the future is going to hold and are pretty much not hiring right now. And to make matters worse the unemployment runs out in four weeks. Looks like it's Uber driving for me!

The good Lord has provided this far for my wife and I am am sure he will continue doing so. Something with break soon. Cleaning the basement is on the agenda for this week.
Andrew, what's your line of work? I work for a huge company in Northern Illinois (LZ), we are worldwide, with a big location possibly near you. Openings in several different areas.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:04 PM
J0hn H@rper

Sorting, organizing, and logging more card info.

Also looking for better deals, but (despite a minor one that I mentioned in a thread elsewhere), the card market still seems quite strong so far
Old 03-16-2020, 08:14 PM
Scott S

I've been able to scan some items for my personal collection that I've wanted to have digitally available but never seemed to have the time. Now, there's more time than any of us know what to do with it!
Old 03-16-2020, 09:27 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Putting together a 2020 Topps Heritage baseball (1971 Topps design) base set. I'm about 50 cards away. Good times seeing it come together.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Working.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:32 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Putting together a 2020 Topps Heritage baseball (1971 Topps design) base set. I'm about 50 cards away. Good times seeing it come together.
I have considered this as well. Cheap fun for sure. I bought one blaster a couple of weekends ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2020, 09:38 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

I recently finished a 96-card Diamond Stars set and am now working on a '71 Topps set. It's a good time to have a hobby, I guess, just to take your mind off all of the hysteria out there.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:37 PM
Joe

Updating/editing my master Cleveland Indians/Naps checklist.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:47 PM
Scott Russell

Trying to keep my company, which makes the majority of its money on live auctions, afloat
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-16-2020, 10:49 PM
Rich White

I will be working on adding old vintage baseball related magazine ads (have a lot of old ads in boxes) to my existing collection. I have a lot of old ads that still needs to be cataloged and put in archival backing boards. Also will be spending more time on the net hunting for new Old Ads to add to the collection!!!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:53 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Reading net54 to see what is happening in the world. The city hasn't shut down yet but things are getting close.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:34 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Can't see buying or selling anything right now, so to get my baseball fix have been reading up on players I always wanted to know more about. Read quite a bit about Oscar Charleston last night.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-17-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:37 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Those were pretty cool. Bought me and my sons each a box. Some real time warp kind of stuff. (A DB Cooper card??!! A Willie Wonker card??!) Was cool. And design of cards is really nice.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:53 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default No changes

Not much changing for me that are hobby related. Still buying and selling on eBay. Buying on Net54 and COMC.

The biggest thing for me is that the card shows where I had planned to set up are probably cancelled, although I haven't heard for sure. It takes a ton of time to get organized for a card show, so I should have some time on my hands, so I'm thinking about moving up to an anchor store on eBay and adding a couple of thousand items. I'm not sure if I want my basic monthly store fee to increase from $59 to $299.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Not much changing for me that are hobby related. Still buying and selling on eBay. Buying on Net54 and COMC.

The biggest thing for me is that the card shows where I had planned to set up are probably cancelled, although I haven't heard for sure. It takes a ton of time to get organized for a card show, so I should have some time on my hands, so I'm thinking about moving up to an anchor store on eBay and adding a couple of thousand items. I'm not sure if I want my basic monthly store fee to increase from $59 to $299.
I think card shows are going to be out of business for a month or so, at least. I will be going through the plethora of hobby related things I have piled up. I have boxes of stuff I still need to go through.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:11 AM

Since cash is king at this time, this is great buying opportunity for card dealers. Stocking up for this years National in Jersey. If by chance this gets postponed, I will be stocking up for the National in Chicago in 2021.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:26 AM

Getting sick. No, not with the coronavirus, but change of the season allergies. Happens twice a year.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:56 AM
Neal

Have quite a few boxes of cards to go through and organize. Prob get some stuff listed on my Ebay store.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Writing to my reps in Congress every day demanding that the package include the equivalent of business interruption coverage for small businesses: straightforward direct indemnity for operating expenses and demonstrable lost income the way an insurer would: rent, insurance, utilities, income lost from eBay sales and auctions delayed or canceled, etc. Regardless of your politics, we who have small hobby-related businesses must reality-check our reps and make sure we are not left behind, and the only way we don't get left out is to make some noise. My reps are going to hear from me every day until the legislation is passed.

Feel free to delete, Leon, if this is too political, but there are too many guys on here who run side or even primary businesses involving the hobby and who are facing really bad situations to ignore the issue.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-17-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Getting sick. No, not with the coronavirus, but change of the season allergies. Happens twice a year.
+1. I have a wicked cold! Feel better Brian.

I relocated my family to the outer banks, NC for the foreseeable future - empty and pretty. I am lucky that I can work from anywhere. My kids are annoyed, but oh well.

Be safe everyone, and please stay the hell home for a while and do not interact with others!
Old 03-17-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

I relocated my family to the outer banks, NC for the foreseeable future - empty and pretty. I am lucky that I can work from anywhere. My kids are annoyed, but oh well.

Be safe everyone, and please stay the hell home for a while and do not interact with others!
You as well, but you have a double dose. Cold and annoyed kids.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:27 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Trying to keep my company, which makes the majority of its money on live auctions, afloat
I sincerely wish you the best. This hurts to read. The good news is; we are a hearty (stupid) bunch and our hobby is the last thing we want to compromise. Hopefully, this mentality will keep you afloat until we can really get back at it!
Old 03-17-2020, 10:33 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think card shows are going to be out of business for a month or so, at least. I will be going through the plethora of hobby related things I have piled up. I have boxes of stuff I still need to go through.
I can't ever hear or read the word "plethora" without immediately quoting El Guapo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg el guapo.jpg (5.3 KB, 519 views)
Old 03-17-2020, 11:35 AM
Trae Regan

Quote:
+1 here too (coastal North Carolina). The pollen is thick right now.

Thankfully I've been working from home for 15 years already, and my wife has for 10, so no major changes to our lives other than "staying the hell home" instead of movies, restaurants, and hanging with friends.

Looking forward to some spearfishing when the weather allows.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:42 AM
Robert J. Miller

I am still working.........so far. I think its only a matter of time though. Then I will be cleaning up my card room. Getting a bunch of stuff for a craigslist ad to sell. And looking for any Star Wars stuff I may have for my son. He is big into Star Wars now.
Bob
Old 03-17-2020, 11:48 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206.org View Post
+1 here too (coastal North Carolina). The pollen is thick right now.
Yep, I've always said there were 5 seasons in NC, with Yellow Season falling somewhere between Winter and Spring.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Me too

Quote:
The walnut trees are producing pollen, which usually shuts me down for a few weeks, until the grass pollen arrives, which takes away my ability to breath until around the middle of June. Then, a couple of good months until the corn starts tassling, which shuts me down again until the first frost in October.

During the winter I run 3-4 times a week, but usually by mid-May I can't run anymore.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Randy Capel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

I understand really empty now. Dare shut the door to visitors. Am looking forward to trip scheduled for May 1. Praying this passes and we can do some feeshin!
Old 03-17-2020, 01:40 PM

Yep likewise for me too...working from home mandatory until 4/7. I actually looked at some cards last night...good way to take mind off of things!

Ricky Y
Old 03-17-2020, 02:05 PM
octavio ranzola

I’m not buying anything.going thru olds auction catalogs.I work in nyc and things are bad ..net 54 keeps me entertained thx mr.leon
Old 03-17-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBeef View Post
I understand really empty now. Dare shut the door to visitors. Am looking forward to trip scheduled for May 1. Praying this passes and we can do some feeshin!
Yup. They closed both bridges to visitors. Its sunny, warm and beautiful here- If you didn’t turn on the TV, you’d think it’s just another day in obx paradise.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:07 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Sorting cards and listing on e-bay.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Mike

Spring cleaning, putting all of my commons (modern mostly 1988-1991) in the fire pit. Need some room and nobody wants these.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:30 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
I sincerely wish you the best. This hurts to read. The good news is; we are a hearty (stupid) bunch and our hobby is the last thing we want to compromise. Hopefully, this mentality will keep you afloat until we can really get back at it!
I appreciate that. The state just shut down our live auctions (and all non-essential businesses, they're not picking on me!) and we had a live auction scheduled for Saturday. We are in scramble mode trying to move it online.

We normally advertise our pre-war auctions here on Net54, but if anyone wants to check out an auction of mostly 1950 - 1980 stuff there is a gorgeous 1955 Topps Clemente rookie in PSA 7 (and we graded it ourselves out of a large raw estate collection that was consigned, no worries about trimming or altering) a bunch of complete sets from 1970 - 2004 and tons of graded and raw singles, autographs, etc. I'd be grateful for the support. The link is in my signature. The auction will start Thursday night and run until the 29th.

Best of luck to anyone else whose livelihood is being affected I feel your pain. Maybe post here if there's something we can do for you as a community?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-17-2020, 06:49 PM

This...

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=280478

Brian (always looking for an excuse to do a little research, and this is a heck of an excuse)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 03-17-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:53 PM
Jimmy

Working - while the rest of my family is staying home and safe. Also doing a little spring cleaning so I can donate some items.

Stay Healthy and Safe!

Jimmy
Old 03-17-2020, 08:14 PM
Jeff H

Working. Installing back up generators for the wireless phone industry and DC power plants for various local and State police departments. This will last until June, when I officially call it a career.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:26 PM
Murr the Blurr

Hunkered down in a quiet, snowy hamlet in northern Alberta, I'm quite content to watch DVDs of the 1972 Summit Series and 1976 Canada Cup while I sort and reorganize a large collection of vintage boxing cards and ephemera.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:51 PM
je.sse @rnot

I will be working from home starting Thursday. Nice to have the option but we are so busy it won't exactly be a break.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:31 AM
Ben Caraher

I'll be dedicating extra time to my art. I think we can all relate to Mr. Keith Comstock right now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keith.jpg (77.9 KB, 327 views)
Old 03-18-2020, 09:45 AM
J0hn Collin$

Mostly working from home on my laptop on my dining room table. Ocassionaly play YouTube card videos on my iPad mini to break up the monotony. We've been in this status since about last Thursday. I did pickup a '70 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA 7 at the LCS yesterday, kind of a last hurrah. The owner is getting ready to shut down for what may be a good long while.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:46 AM
Robert J. Miller

Well now its official. I will be "working" wink wink, from home for a few weeks. Time to clean up that card room and get a Craigslist pile for sale.