NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2023, 02:06 PM
S Gross

Default T207 -- "Unknown" Players

One of the aspects of T207 I enjoy are the many "unknown" players.

Of course, the most famous being good ol' Irv Lewis. Not only did he not make the Boston roster, but also never made Lowell roster, of which he was designated. So absolutely no "organized" baseball at all.

I also enjoy looking up the players if the bio. sparks an interest. Of which, Eugene Woodburn being one of them (mainly because of the mention of his control issues):

jsg20.jpg

So let's take a look at some of his Major Lg. stats:

2 years // 2 - 10 record // 5.50 ERA // 86 IP // 82 BB // .053 BA

You can read more if interested:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/gene-woodburn/

Him being a great ventriloquist is the best part ..............

Anyway ............. Would anyone like to share their favorite "unknowns" ?? Or, can you "beat" any of Woodburn's "records" ???

Fun, fun, Scott
Old 03-13-2023, 02:43 PM
Sean Brennan

Great read, thanks for sharing
Old 03-13-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post

I also enjoy looking up the players if the bio. sparks an interest. Of which, Eugene Woodburn being one of them (mainly because of the mention of his control issues):

Fun, fun, Scott
So true...Eugene's lips are barely open but I swear I just heard him disgustedly exclaim "my development was not retarded!"

Brian
Old 03-13-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post

Of course, the most famous being good ol' Irv Lewis. Not only did he not make the Boston roster, but also never made Lowell roster, of which he was designated. So absolutely no "organized" baseball at all.

Attachment 562438

So let's take a look at some of his Major Lg. stats:

2 years // 2 - 10 record // 5.50 ERA // 86 IP // 82 BB // .053 BA

You can read more if interested:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/gene-woodburn/

Anyway ............. Would anyone like to share their favorite "unknowns" ?? Or, can you "beat" any of Woodburn's "records" ???

Fun, fun, Scott
Just for the record, Irving B. Lewis played in 5 games for Lynn of the New England League in 1912, going 0 for 9.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:45 AM

Nice, I enjoy reading stories like this. It is one of the aspects that make collecting so fun!
Old 03-14-2023, 01:18 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Just for the record, Irving B. Lewis played in 5 games for Lynn of the New England League in 1912, going 0 for 9.
I hope old Irv decided to try another profession. Baseball certainly was not his calling.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:26 PM

Here is Delos 'Del' Drake. Besides his one year (1911) for the Tigers mentioned on his T207, he played two seasons in the Federal League. In the typical T207 biographical style, they downplay his effectiveness as a ballplayer, even though in 315 at bats he scored 37 runs, had 9 triples and 36 rbi's and a .279 battting average. Here is a link to his SABR profile, and below that a snippet from it that points out his part in the creation of what became a managerial strategy standby:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/delos-drake/

In his only season with the Tigers, Del Drake made a lasting mark on the game. Bill James maintains that the regular use by manager Hughie Jennings of Del against left-handed pitchers and of Davy Jones against right-handed pitchers in 1911 was the first documented case of platooning during the regular season in the major leagues.

So that is why I insisted that his T207 card for my collection was one that had 'platooned' corners.

Brian (may your T207's have the sharp, rounded or platooned corners of your choosing)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t207drake 001.jpg (168.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg t207drakerecruit 001.jpg (175.5 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 03-14-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T207

Robert "Ham" Hamilton Hyatt played in approx. 420 games over 7 seasons with Pittsburgh, St Louis Cardinals and NY Yankees (mainly as a pinch-hitter).

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 03-15-2023, 04:26 PM
Ron Rice

Default Ham Hyatt

Speaking of Ham Hyatt, somebody actually wrote a book about him and how he selected his bats. See: https://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Stor.../dp/1737836629

I bought the book and thought it was a fun and quick read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hyatt.jpg (132.9 KB, 49 views)