NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2023, 06:13 PM
Mike

Default Tax Expert Question

In 2023, if Married filing jointly, you pay 0% long-term capital gains tax if your income was $ 89,250 or below . So if I bought a card or set etc. maybe 2 years ago for $ 1000 and sell for $ 5000 I owe no tax on this item under these circumstances.

I'm asking is this correct or I'm I reading the tax code wrong ? thanks
Old 12-14-2023, 06:16 PM
Brian Clatfelter

I'm no accountant, but I don't think cards and collectables have capital gains benefits. From what I have read, they are treated as ordinary income. I'll wait for the professionals to provide some input here.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:54 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

First question:

With respect to the cards sold, are you:

1) an investor
2) a hobbyist or personal collector
3) a dealer

How you respond will affect how the gains (and losses) are treated.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-14-2023, 08:17 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

And if you just want an answer about whether collectibles gains qualify for the 0% tax rate, the answer is they don't.

"Capital Gains Tax on Collectibles
But while long-term capital gains on most types of assets are taxed at either 15% or 20% (or 0% for taxpayers in the 10% or 15% ordinary-income tax bracket), capital gains on collectibles are taxed at 28% (or your ordinary-income rate, if lower)."

https://www.hallkistler.com/hk-news/...-collectibles/

If you want to become a codehead, I encourage you to dig into IRC Section 1(h), and 1(h)(4) in particular (collectibles 28% rate), contrasted with 1(h)(1), which is the general capital gains treatment.

The crux of the matter is that collectibles are subject to their own tax rate, and don't qualify for the general capital gains tax rate.

Last edited by raulus; 12-14-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:14 PM
Mike

A personal collector, not a dealer or investor. Just collect for the fun of it. I noticed that coin collections, art etc can be treated as long term capital gains, why not sports collectibles ?
Old 12-14-2023, 09:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
And if you just want an answer about whether collectibles gains qualify for the 0% tax rate, the answer is they don't.

"Capital Gains Tax on Collectibles
But while long-term capital gains on most types of assets are taxed at either 15% or 20% (or 0% for taxpayers in the 10% or 15% ordinary-income tax bracket), capital gains on collectibles are taxed at 28% (or your ordinary-income rate, if lower)."

https://www.hallkistler.com/hk-news/...-collectibles/

If you want to become a codehead, I encourage you to dig into IRC Section 1(h), and 1(h)(4) in particular (collectibles 28% rate), contrasted with 1(h)(1), which is the general capital gains treatment.

The crux of the matter is that collectibles are subject to their own tax rate, and don't qualify for the general capital gains tax rate.
The IRS and Congress didn't get the memo that cards are now "assets."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-14-2023 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:05 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
A personal collector, not a dealer or investor. Just collect for the fun of it. I noticed that coin collections, art etc can be treated as long term capital gains, why not sports collectibles ?
If you believe the IRS, then coins and art are also subject to the same 28% rate.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409

Old 12-15-2023, 01:21 PM
Kevin

Default Depends how you

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
In 2023, if Married filing jointly, you pay 0% long-term capital gains tax if your income was $ 89,250 or below . So if I bought a card or set etc. maybe 2 years ago for $ 1000 and sell for $ 5000 I owe no tax on this item under these circumstances.

I'm asking is this correct or I'm I reading the tax code wrong ? thanks
So the reality is how up front you want to be about it, if you collected cash or a form of payment like Venmo, PayPal Friends & Family or personal check you can likely avoid even touching this on taxes. Additionally, unless you're keeping a detailed record of purchases price (receipts etc) and sale price including profit, it'd be incredibly hard to prove how much you actually made on one item.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:24 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
So the reality is how up front you want to be about it, if you collected cash or a form of payment like Venmo, PayPal Friends & Family or personal check you can likely avoid even touching this on taxes.

Worst advice I've seen on the topic.

Congrats

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-15-2023, 02:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post

Congrats
It is by far the most honest.

To the OP. Go to a real licensed tax preparer in your area. Any other advice is really pointless as you need someone who knows the rules in the specific location you live.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:33 PM
Scott

File a schedule c as a business. If not, the sale of collectibles at a profit is capital gains
Old 12-15-2023, 03:07 PM
Al Richter

Calling BobC...
Old 12-15-2023, 03:53 PM

Default And also

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Calling BobC...

..Calling Diogenes,

Old 12-15-2023, 05:02 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default solution

Just sell for less than you paid and no tax problems! Im an expert on doing that with stocks LOL
Old 12-15-2023, 05:11 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..Calling Diogenes,

Lol!

Old 12-15-2023, 07:08 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
File a schedule c as a business. If not, the sale of collectibles at a profit is capital gains
Not sure that I follow this strategy.

Obviously if you are a dealer, then this would make sense. But Sch C income is ordinary, and taxed at ordinary rates.

Last edited by raulus; 12-15-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:23 PM
Scott

Quote:
Not sure that I follow this strategy.

Obviously if you are a dealer, then this would make sense. But Sch C income is ordinary, and taxed at ordinary rates.

Yes, but using cash basis for that year , it would all go in as sales and purchases

A hobbyist shows it as ordinary income and dch as deductions up to income only

Someone who randomly holds an item long term can have a CG or loss. Eg I buy a comic, which I'm not in business of selling pay 500 sell a couple years later for 6000. It is a capital asset producing LTCG. I used to be an acct

Old 12-18-2023, 08:50 AM
Kevin

Quote:

Congrats
There is a reason I said it depends.

Perhaps you're not following my point, if he is a business that is absolutely different and he should be keeping proper P&L on his business and every single item. He'd also be able to offset any gain with purchases of other items for inventory to replace it or sales of other items at net losses.

As a collector, if he sells an item for cash or equivalent and isn't being issued a tax form as part of the transaction then frankly, he'd be an idiot to pay taxes on his increase as I'd bet he could easily sell any other items at a loss to offset his capital gains.

If you like handing the government free money cause you made a profit on a single item, by all means, they appreciate it...those of us with any semblance of common sense or accounting knowledge will be just fine paying precisely no capital gains tax on a single transaction by being smart and understanding the system.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It is by far the most honest.

To the OP. Go to a real licensed tax preparer in your area. Any other advice is really pointless as you need someone who knows the rules in the specific location you live.
It's 1,000% honest. Why anyone would hand the government a single dollar they don't absolutely have too is beyond me. And this is coming from my Tax preparer. Been audited before, never a single issue. It's wild how people feel a moral obligation to hand over their money.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:54 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Wonderful. When the IRS come aknockin'..unreported income could be considered fraud. What's that mean?

Well you would not only be liable for interest and penalties but they can also go back more than 7 years IF they consider it tax fraud.

Risk v. Reward I guess.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Old 12-18-2023, 09:06 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Wonderful. When the IRS come aknockin'..unreported income could be considered fraud. What's that mean?

Well you would not only be liable for interest and penalties but they can also go back more than 7 years IF they consider it tax fraud.

Risk v. Reward I guess.

I am in no way advocating tax fraud. As I said, I've been audited without a single issue arising. I am not saying to hide anything.

Capital gains are only income if it's not offset and or documented specifically as income with profit. Does OP have documents showing he paid $1,000 and sold for $5,000? If not, how would that be documented that he made a $4,000 profit? Cause he volunteered the info here? I feel like the whole point here is being missed.

By your logic every collector buying, selling and trading at shows/online, through groups and message boards should be reporting capital gains/losses on everything. If so then you're delusional to reality. I am sure he's sold or traded items at a loss as we all have. So again, why would anyone would just volunteer a taxable profit on a single item is beyond me. If a tax form was generated then thats also fine, just show offsetting purchases in the same tax year and poof, there goes your "gains".

Last edited by Kco; 12-18-2023 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:15 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

IMO

not having documentation is much better than not reporting. In fact, it's the difference between what could be constituted as fraud, and what could be argued as missing documentation.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:49 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
There is a reason I said it depends.

Perhaps you're not following my point, if he is a business that is absolutely different and he should be keeping proper P&L on his business and every single item. He'd also be able to offset any gain with purchases of other items for inventory to replace it or sales of other items at net loss.
The only part of your statement that I’m not following is your assertion that buying inventory is a deductible expense for a dealer.

Inventory is not deductible when a dealer buys it. It’s only deductible as cost of goods sold when the dealer sells it.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:06 AM
Kevin

Quote:
The only part of your statement that I’m not following is your assertion that buying inventory is a deductible expense for a dealer.

Inventory is not deductible when a dealer buys it. It’s only deductible as cost of goods sold when the dealer sells it.
I was unclear here, I apologize. You can offset any profits with deductible expenses to negate any profit as a business, inclusive of COGS, you wouldn't pay capital gains on a single transaction.

So if he is a business taxes are calculated on profits after allowable expenses, which he doesn't appear to be.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:29 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I was unclear here, I apologize. You can offset any profits with deductible expenses to negate any profit as a business, inclusive of COGS, you wouldn't pay capital gains on a single transaction.

So if he is a business taxes are calculated on profits after allowable expenses, which he doesn't appear to be.
LOL, I sure hope a business owner isn't asking for tax advise on a BB card forum. As a long time business owner there is a lot of horrible advice in this thread. If you have ANY tax questions go to a professional. Asking tax advise on a forum is beyond silly and a great way to get in trouble with the state and IRS.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:46 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:

Your approach makes a lot of sense for a dealer. So when the dealer spends money on traveling to shows, and paying for tables, etc, then all of that is deductible. As long as the dealer is actually making money. For a dealer that only loses money (after deductions), the IRS will often reclassify this as a hobby, and disallow those deductions.

For the average collector/investor, their only costs and expenses are paying auction fees and maybe shipping. Usually those costs can be factored into the calculation of the gain on sale. Even grading costs can be rolled into your basis and used to offset your gain on the sale. So the only downside is for a collector/investor who spends a lot on travel and shows, those costs wouldn’t be deductible. I have attended 1 whole show in my entire life. So definitely not me.

So for most of us, schedule C would probably be a mistake. Unless we are really acting as dealers, with all of the action that comes with it.

Last edited by raulus; 12-19-2023 at 01:16 PM.