NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Default 1911 Zeenuts background shades of sepia

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I recently picked up a duplicate 1911 Hogan Zeenut card.

I noticed it had a light olive color background compared to a much darker brown color background seen on the first one I purchased a few months prior. Curious as to whether other Zeenut collectors have seen this range of color on the backgrounds? I have included scans of each card to show the wide color swing.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Hey Patrick,
I had over 110 from an original collection and they were different shades. There were no dupes so I don't know if individual players had different shades. My guess is they did......I do know they came with different size writing on the front. I kept a small, medium, and large print variety for my collection.....regards

Old 10-26-2004, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Wouldn't it be nice to pick up a triplicate in a light tan?

Old 10-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Thanks for the response Leon. In addition to the information that you mentioned regarding the varying print sizes, the issue is also known to have different size player poses.

Also Gilbert, I bought the 2nd card because it had the different color background. Unlike some others on the board, I'm not a hoarder trying to drive up prices by buying up multiples of an issue.

Thanks, Patrick

Old 10-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

man, the N172 Corcoran must be worth thousands by now.

I once tried hoarding t206 Mike Powers cards - not to drive up the price, but just to weird out my heirs. I plan to try the same with Bowman Mickey Grasso cards.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Administrator

The weirding out of heirs deserves its own trhread IMHO.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I've heard several board members express concern over what their heirs would do with all their "stuff". My opinion is to catalog it well, and to specify a name in your will for someone the heirs should contact to help sell the items.

But if you don't like your heirs, will your cards to me and store them somewhere under my name (I promise not to go get them while you are still alive), and stuff your closets with really weird vintage stuff that will drive them crazy because they'll think it's worth a lot, but it isn't.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

about my cards and I'm still here. A typical exchange at my house:

(Wife) I want to [fill in blank with unneeded home improvement; yesterday it was plant $1,000 worth of flowers via a professional landscaper. In November].
(Me) Sorry, can't afford it.
(Wife) Why not sell off some baseball cards? They're not doing any good sitting in the cabinet.
(Me) Hey, I don't carouse, I don't play golf or have expensive tastes in cars, I collect cards. They're a sound investment anyway, not like those small cap stocks you keep trying to trade. If you want the [silly improvement] so bad, why don't you get a job and pay for it?
(Wife) I don't want to.
(Me) I'm going to the office.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

When I owned the gmaing and comic store, Magic: The Gathering along with several other collectible card games were very popular. We would take a very unpoular card from the game called Atog in trade. When I got out of the store, we had almost 10,000 of these cards. I personally colelcted Dead Jawas from the STar Wars game and have over 1,000 of them. Someone I really hate is gonna get willed those 1,000 Dead Jawas. Should make for good fun at the reading of the will, hehe.

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Jay, I understand that some game cards can sell for hundreds of dollars. Did you experience counterfeit attempts when you had the store?

Old 11-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

(present day, not Civil War) by the time I die, if not sooner.

The conmversation with the wife also sounds all-too-familiar, except it's with a husband.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

there were some attempts to fake high dollar cards, but I never saw any that couldn't be spotted easily. Most fake attempts were done by peeling the front off and putting a laser print of the desired card onto the remaining back. This doesn't work well since the gloss and texture are now gone.

The stock that these cards are made on is not cheap, thus making good fakes very expensive and not worth the trouble. I'm not sure where the market is now, but when I got out over 5 years ago there was one card valued over $400 and 6 others over $150. Not exactly fertile grounds for making money from fakes

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.