NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball Scoring Question

Posted By: Josh

We're having a debate in the auction office...

this just happened in a Nationals game last week and I am still unsure of how it is officially scored.

The pitcher is at the plate, hitting for himself. He has a 2-1 count on him and he tries to bunt. The ball is fouled off the ground and comes back up and hits him in the eye. He cannot continue his at bat, so they bring in a pinch hitter for him.

The pinch hitter takes one pitch for a strike out. Is the strike out given to the original batter who left with a 2-2 count on him or to the guy that took the one final strike?

While we're there, say the new batter took two pitches for a walk...would that be credited to the original batter who took the first two balls or the second batter who took the last two?

I figure there is no better place to ask this question than on this board.

thanks in advance.
Josh
Huggins and Scott Auctions

Old 07-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i believe the batter (in both cases) who finished the at-bat is given the credit for the strikeout or walk.
when a pitcher is pulled mid ab, i think the rule is two pitches then the stats go to him, one pitch the stats go to the reliever.
this is all from a BAD memory, so please correct my errors/omissions.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

There were two strikes on the pitcher, only one on the replacement. Does two trump one?

Old 07-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I believe Andy is right.I was at a minor league game where a guy actually got thrown out of a 2-1 game in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and a 3-2 count,with runners on base.Some poor PHer had to come off the bench right into the situation most kids pretend about when they play.He ended up striking out swinging on the next pitch and it was credited to the batter who got thrown out for arguing a strike call

Old 07-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

So entering the game in that situation, does he only get an official at-bat if he gets a hit? 1-for-1 if he gets a hit, 0-for-0 if he doesn't? I just thought of a way to get Sammy Sosa's average up to .400.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

No Glen,if he flies out or grounds out its credited to the PHer,only a strikeout or walk wouldnt be credited to the PHer

Old 07-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

That makes more sense.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

If a player pinch hits for a batter who already has two strikes on him and then strikes out the strikeout is credited to the first batter. If the first batter had only one strike on him the strikeout is credited to the pinch hitter. A pinch hitter who enters the game and walks, regardless of the prior count, is credited with the walk.