NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Default N28 and N29 are attractive sets, but some of the ballplayers

Posted By: identify7

included causes me to wonder how they picked who to portray. More than half of the players shown, have their appearance in this set as their only baseball claim to fame.

I know y'all know baseball, but who ever heard of

Charles Bennett
Joseph Mulvey
Jas. Fogarty
Chas. Getzein
John Morrill
Geo. Miller (career .193 hitter)

Other than in these sets?

Comments?

Old 11-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Mulvey and Fogarty are no strangers to me - as I revel in studying the Philadelphia Phillies formation, and their players in the 19th century.

Mulvey was the regular Phillies third baseman for a number of years - so no worries there.

As for Fogarty, he was a damn good ballplayer I think! He was a jack-of-all-trades, able to play nearly every position. He was known for a good eye, and frequently got on base by walks. And he was very quick on the basepaths. He happened to die in 1891, so his career was cut short [a few years after one of his teammates, Chas. Ferguson, who was a phenom who died prematurely in the Spring of 1888]

~ms

Old 11-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Everyone has wondered that and all I can think of is they were popular for some reason at the time of issue. Anson, Kelly, Ewing- no issues. Some of the others may have had fleeting fame in 1887. Look at the four ballplayers in the Kimball set- not exactly a Who's Who of the game's greatest stars. These cards were used to promote their respective cigarette brand, so the public had to be familiar with the players.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Barry - there had to be something going for these guys. George Miller is a real curiousity to me. I guess I will have to try to read up on him some.

All I have right now is he was a catcher who had 37 at bats in 1877, and 20 more at bats in 1884.

Those dates do not even match up with the date of set issuance.

And a 57 at bat career doesn't qualify many for appearance in a set - particularly with seasons seven years apart. I must have the wrong guy.

How else do you spell George Miller?

Edited to add: It is the wrong guy. George F. Miller has a lifetime .267 average with over 5000 ABs

Sorry, my mistake. This guy did achieve mediocrity.

I mistook him for G.C. Miller - who aspired to that level.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Gil,

Is it possible that the George Miller in the set is actually:

George Frederick Miller

13 Seasons G-1317 AB-5167 H-1380 .267

Old 11-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Yes Judge. That is correct. Now: why is he in the set? He did not lead his team in any offensive nor defensive catagory. He was platooned as catcher, typically getting 3-400 AB/season (prior to card issuance). And generally hitting less than .250.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Miller had to be popular in 1887 for some reason because Allen & Ginter wanted you to keep buying their cigarettes in the hope of finding one of him. Exactly why is a mystery.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

In 1888 he did lead the Pittsburgh team in batting average (.277 - 404AB) if you don't count Beckley's .344 in 283 ABs.

The only thing that makes sense is that he must have been a popular player with the fans back then.

I've always wondered the same about the players in this set - why these particular players? Some had obvious reasons but a few players will leave us wondering why.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

You have to remember, back in the 19c, fielding was prized above all else and catchers were very popular. The original rules of the game were designed to showcase a players fielding, not his hitting exploits.

Jay

I'm incompetent at being incontenent.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

Charlie was a famous catcher...I'm sure others have heard the story about him getting some consideration for HOF. His on field skills(not the best hitter, but catchers were not leaned on for their hitting in the early days) and the team's success led to some speculation. Who knows, it still might happen. Although this next section obviously has nothing to do with his inclusion in the N28/ N29 sets but there is another interesting story involving Charlie.
It seems that he was involved in a train accident and lost both of his legs after being run over.
He was towards the end of his career when the accident occurred and this tragedy may end up being what he gets remembered for best...
Brian L.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

As already stated, Bennett was considered the best defensive catcher of the 19th Century. He was dearly loved here in Detroit. Had his playing carrer cut short by a railroad incident that took both his legs. When the Tigers began play in the American League, they did so in Bennett Park.

Charlie Getzein was also considered one of the games leading pitchers for a short time. He led the Championship 1887 Detroit team in pitching with a 29-13 record. Hardly a nobody.

Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Administrator

It seems to me that the American Association's Browns championship was played up by the makers of n172s. Maybe the makers of n28 + 29s chose to play up the National League.

As has been mentioned, Getzein was the top pitcher for the NL champion Wolverines, and Bennett was his battery mate.

The second place Quakers were a running team, and the stolen base statistic had just begun being recorded the previous year. Fogarty with over 100 steals, and Mulvey (and others) must have made it difficult for opposing pitchers.

The Beaneaters fielded a pair of sluggers in first baseman John Morrill and King Kelly which comprised a strong one-two punch.

And so on ...

Just speculation, but maybe this sort of thinking was behind the player selections for these sets.