NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default P2 Difficulty Question

Posted By: Tim Rhinehart

I have about 80 P2's and I know that the most difficult pins are comprised mostly of commons. I have the Lew Lipset encyclopedia's and it lists the following as difficult:

Archer LL
Bransfield
Bresnahan LL
Collins LL
Cobb LL
Cree
Donovan
Grant
Hauser
Tom Jones *
Killian
Matthewson LL
Needham
Rowan *
Scanlon *
Turner *
Wilson (NY) *
Warhop *

I know that the last pin TBob grabbed was the Pelty which I am in the process of picking up along with others indicated. Can any of the P2 collectors chime in with with any other pins that they rarely see (so I can nab if I happen to need it). Suggs is not on this list, I had not seen one and just sold on Ebay However, it was a PSA8 for $156. The majority of my pickups have been nongraded. Not only are the PSA pins overpriced, but they seem to suffer from a great deal of grading inconsistancy.
I just received a Bender and Tom Jones that were PSA 5's. The Bender was sharp while the Jones suffered from a great deal of toning (no biggie because I only paid $20 for the Jones).
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Tim- My next to last pin was Abbaticchio and I also think the "Old Cy" Young pin is very tough.
tbob

Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

HI Tim,

I have been trying to complete this set for the last 3 years or so now. I am about 15 pins away. I agree the pins that are graded seem to be over inflated in price way too much on Ebay! I picked up alot of mine non-graded and at very good prices. The ones that I feel are the most difficult to find are the following:

Neal Ball
Dygert
Ed Karger-seen a few last few month but price skyrocketed on Ebay!
Bresnahan(mouth open)
Rucker LL-just picked one up few weeks ago! Was not cheap!
C.Ferguson
Hartsel

Good Luck with your collection. I think this set is way undervalued and most other P2 collectors will certainly agree with me!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Rhinehart

Thank you for the input. TBob had graciously answered a question of mine when I began collecting the pins a few years ago and Scott Mosley did the same. I had done a google search about a month ago and found the Collectors Universe site where the winner of the complete Mastro set was looking to sell pins. I just caught him and ordered 15 right before he sent them to PSA. However, I did not even think to order the "rarities". I also just picked up the two Youngs, Walsh, two Matthewson sm (one with red backing), and Cobb sm among 20 HOFers (I am preparing my defense speech to my wife as we speak).

Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

I found that Mr. Lipsets list was pretty accurate as many of the last ones I acquired were among that list.

TBob and Neal have given some good input as well as I agree totally with regards to the Pelty, Old Cy Young and Bresnahan (mouth open) pins.

I would also add the Mullin Large Letter pin and Wallace (no cap) as other pins that took me a while to obtain.

Not to say that any of the above are truely rare as they are out there. They just seem to be a bit tougher to find than most other P-2s.

Good luck with your set!

Scott

Old 06-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

The Lipset list is over twenty years old and needs some updating. With the advent of on-line auctions we now have a different perspective on what is difficult and what is not.
Tough pins-
Ball, Hauser, Abbaticchio, Wilson(NY), Pelty(LL), Rowan, Scanlon, Lajoie, Hartsel, Ferguson. There are a few more...
Pcelli60

Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Pcelli60,

I agree that there are some pins which probably could be taken off of Lews list but over half of the pins on his list were among the last group of 15-20 pins that I needed to complete my set so I wouldn't just totally discount the information just because it is 20 years old.

Some of the pins mentioned above are definitely ones that I would add to the list.

On a separate note, I am unaware of the existance of a Pelty Large Letters pin. Was that just a typo in your list or do you have a scan of this pin that you could share?

Old 06-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Typo. No Pelty(LL) excists..And I would never be dimissive of anything Lew puts in print. Its just that so much has changed in our hobby. Our collecting world is a lot smaller now.
Pcelli60