NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Default A-Rod fever, let's predict his 2007 HR total ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

A very strange "twist of justice" is happening in NY this month. All the Alex Rodriguez "naysayers"
are eating their nasty words from last year. A-Rod has comeback with a vengenance to shut-up
his critics (especially the sports media) and those hyper-finicky Yankee fans.
A-Rod is a "winner"....while the Yankees are "losing"....that's poetic justice....I love it !

Here's his #'s so far.....

14 HR's in 18 games (fastest start ever)

BA = .400

RBI = 34

and, a 22-game hitting streak

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how many HR's he will hit this season ? ?

T-Rex TED

Old 04-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

i'm a huge yankee fan (and whatever team is playing the "sawx") and would love to see him break bonds' single season record, but i think a-rod will start trying to hit the HRs and mentally it could hurt him.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Old 04-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

If it means the Yankees dont make the playoffs,he can hit 100 homers and i wouldnt care. The day they get eliminated ill even start rooting for him and chanting m-v-p

Old 04-25-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Is there a prize?

Old 04-25-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

I think he will hit 76 hr this year.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I'm really excited to see A-Rod off to a hot start but if the Yankees don't get some pitching fast, geez.. This seems to happen almost every year. Someone comes out of the gate hotter than (insert clever medaphor here!)

It was so frustrating to watch the Yankees score and score last night only to see the D-Rays counter punch every single bottom half. I finally stopped watching after the bases clearing triple in the bottom of the (I think) 7th.. I should have stayed up and watched Alex belt #14 but as exciting as that might have been, the Yankees were still down by 2!!!!

Baring injury, I suspect A Rod to hit 50 or 60 but it doesn't mean much anymore. I am really numb to 50 or 60 HRs.. so what. I remember in the late 70s when the Big Red Machine was rolling and George Foster hit 52 one year. 52! WOW, I was totally amazed at that number. I was so hyped to think, he might hit 60 next year!!! It really blew me away. To make 52 even more amazing, Foster came back to life the next year with only 40 and never again hit over 30. 50 HRs used to mean something. 60 was unimaginable. I miss those days, a lot. It makes me wish I could have seen Maris' 61 in 1961.

Perhaps one of you veterans who witnessed the Summer of '61 can chime in and give me a glimpse of what it must have felt like to be a baseball fan during that run. I hope the stigma of playing 162 vs 154 did not dimish the feat in most fans eyes.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com

Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Raasch

Well, baseball is a streaky game. A lot of hitters have some incredible streaks - of varying length. A-Rod has shown he can be a great hitter. He has had some monster years at the plate. But, one question remains for me: "Why can't A-Rod make his team better?"

When he signed that monster contract with the Rangers he followed up with some great stats at the plate - but his team was a loser. Now he's on a tear again - and the Yankees are losing. Albert Pujols make the Cards a lot better team - he helps them win. Ryan Howard made the Phillies a better team last year. I could go on with a lot of examples. But A-Rod does not make for a better team. Why is that???

Old 04-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

Obviously you can't draw any conclusions from a couple of at bats, but nonetheless who made the last outs, both with men on base in one run games, in Boston this weekend?

Old 04-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator

The Mantle fans and the media far outnumbered the cheers for Maris. The kid from Fargo was booed,
and the media pressure was horrendous. Especially when Mickey, who was leading with 54 HR's, went
on the disabled list in the last 2 weeks of the season.

But, when Phil Rizzuto, in the broadcast booth, called (in the Scooter's inimatable fashion), Maris' 61st
HR, it was great. And, as kids, we were really excited and didn't care that he did it in the 162nd game.
It was the media, who made a "big stink" about qualifying Maris' great record-breaking achievement.

TED Z

Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Without A Rod, the Yanks loose 10-2 last night. A Rod went 4-5, 3 RBIs and scored 4 runs. He obviously makes them better just not good enough to win, if only he could pitch.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com

Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

In 1956 my favorite player was Dale Long . Having watched him when he played for the Hollywood Stars I continued ( as an 11 year old) to follow closely his career in the major leagues. I used to cut out and save every box score in the paper. In April 1956 he hit two home runs in one game and then in May 1956 he began his fantastic streak of 8 home runs in 8 consecutive games. Well I began to plot out the remainder of the season and figured that he would easily beat Babe Ruth's record and be the next home run king. Sadly for me he ended the 1956 season with 27 home runs --total ! Now I wish the best to A-Rod but I am guessing 47 total for the year.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Old 04-25-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Peter,

I know ARod has a bad rap for not getting clutch hits and I know Boston is a big series, but I think that its a bit unfair to be calling him out for not getting hits in the Boston games without also mentioning that he has already walk off HRs in two games and had another two run shot in the 9th last night to give the Yankees a fighting chance.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

He'll hit my age.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

A-Rod has proved in the past that he wilts under media attention (more attention=greater wilt)so I think he will slump late and end up with 43 homers. He will then be traded in the off season for Roy Oswalt and Morgan Ensberg and will hit 83 homers next season for the Astros.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Scott,

Actually, ARod does make the team better. In fact, offensively, he makes them much better. What he doesnt and cant do is provide the Yankees with decent pitching and once you get to the playoffs, pitching is the name of the game - just look at last year's playoffs as an example - Yankees win the division but cant get it done in the playoffs. Frankly, they have not had decent pitching since ARod joined the team.

As far as the Rangers, their inability to win was, in a way, due to ARod - I think his contract was so big that it literally prevented them from surrounding him with decent talent, including, again, pitching. While the Rangers were cash strapped, the Yankees have less of an excuse since they can afford almost any player they want - they simply have wasted their money on older players past their prime (Johnson, etc.) or made poor free agent choices (Pavano, etc.).

Old 04-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

He'll hit 35 hrs.

The Yanks just aren't that good, and they don't have any pitching. A-Rod is a superstar though, and as someone else said, if only he could pitch!

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Truthfully, I think he can hit over 60 and break Maris's AL record if he stays healthy. Unlike Bonds, who had little protection and walked 200 times, A-Rod will see more good pitches. I don't think he will hit 70.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Ever since Steinbrenner and Cashman shook up the pitching staff several years ago by letting go Clemons,
Pettitte, "El Duque", and even Wells (one the best post-season pitchers in recent years) the Yankees have
been losers.

There has not been a reliable set-up pitcher for a while and you can't expect Rivera to keep saving games
year after year.

And, it bothers me to say all this, since I have been an avid Yankee fan since 1949.

TED Z

Old 04-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

A-Rod is a loser, plain and simple. He is the anti-Jeter. Talk to me in October. I will gladly eat these words if A-Rod comes up big in the postseason and leads the Yankees to a World Series victory. This great run he's on now, and it truly IS great, is still just a hot streak in the single most meaningless month of the season.

He's just making it worse for himself. When he chokes in October, everyone will look back to how great he was early in the season and suddenly remember what a loser he really is.

Incredibly talented player. May wind up holding nearly every lifetime batting record there is. But what does that have to do with the Yankees winning the World Series?

It doesn't matter if he hits 100 HRs this year, he CANNOT redeem himself in the regular season. I don't care if he hits homers in every one of his at-bats for the rest of the season, unless it translates into a Yankees World Series victory that he was instrumental in, he is still a loser. Just the Yankees winning it all won't redeem A-Rod unless they win BECAUSE of him, not IN SPITE of him.

I'm actually surprised any Yankee fan could jump on this A-Rod bandwagon.

You can keep Alex Rodriguez and Jason Giambi and all their numbers. I'll take Scott Brosius and Tino Martinez any day of the week. Especially if that week is in October, when it matters.

-Ryan

Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

"Why doesn't A-Rod make his team better?"

One person does less for a team's success in baseball than any other sport. A player only has about four chances every game to do something offensely. In football, you can control what guys touch the ball. In basketball, it's the same...same as hockey.

But in baseball, you have no control when your players will have an impact on the game. After the first inning, it's a turkey shoot as to when which player will get up to bat when and what situation.

Defensively, your most important guy is the pitcher, but he only pitches once every five games.

If a baseball team can not throw strikes and play defense, it doesn't matter if you have Ruth, Gehrig or Foxx hitting for you, you will not win. I repeat...you will not win!

Even Babe Ruth's teams only won 10 pennants in 22 years. But they had a few other guys who could play a little AND pitch, too!

Look at the Rockies - they had Walker, Castilla, Burks and Bichette hitting in the middle of the order - how many times did they go to play-offs?

Pujols has been in the league sixth years (now in his seventh) - the Cards finally won the WS last year and this year, they have a losing record.

If you can't pitch or catch the ball, you don't win - it ain't A-Rod's fault that the pitching staff can't stay healthy.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Andrew - I couldnt have put it any better.
Well said.

Tony

Old 04-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed

I predict 49. Hot streaks come and go - slumps seem to last longer.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

What if A-Rod was the original NY Yankee, not Jeter. Would fans/media then give this guy a break?

Lets say Jeter came to NY mid-career, while A-Rod was the NY media darling.

Would the tables be turned ? Then A-Rod could do no wrong, and Jeter would be on the hot seat?

steve

ps. 60 HR season, and MVP

Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

A-Rod made the silly mistake of accepting a lot of money for doing what he does.

As a result, he gets hammered for not hitting 8-run home runs every time he steps up to the plate. The reality is that until the 2005 postseason, he was an excellent postseason performer. His postseason batting averages were strong, and his slugging numbers were outstanding. And because of 19 outs (he made 6 outs in the 2005 postseason, and 13 outs in the 2006 postseason), he gets labeled a "loser."

I suspect that A-Rod will hit .300 this season, with 45 home runs and 120 RBI. He'll score 100 runs and steal 25 bases, have an on base percentage over .400, and an OPS near 1.000. And Yankee fans will still wish for Nettles or Brosius, becuase despite the .250 batting average and 80 RBI those guys were good for, they were "winners."

Scott Brosius' postseason batting average was .245. He hit 8 home runs and drove in 30 runs in 58 games.

Graig Nettles' postseason batting average was .225. He hit 5 home runs and drove in 27 runs in 53 games.

A-Rod's postseason batting average is .280. He's hit 6 home runs and driven in 16 runs in 35 games.

I'll take A-Rod and his massive upside.

-Al

Old 04-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

"The Yanks just aren't that good, and they don't have any pitching"

They do have pitching, just currently they are injured and the bullpen is overworked.
What other team in baseball would survive w/ any wins with 3 of their top
4 starters out? How would the Bo Sox fare w/ Beckett, Schilling & Dice K out
w/ only Wakefield and rookies making up their staff?

Mussina , Wang & Pavano will all be back shortly, w/ Wang pitching tonight
and their star prospect Phillip Hughes on Thursday. And who knows when/if
Clemens will be added to the rotation. And even Rivera will pitch out of his
funk.

My prediction is they will be there when it counts battling Boston for the
division or worst case scenerio battling everyone from the Central division
for the Wild Card birth.
Its only April and we got a long way to go to finish 162 games.
Looks like it will be a great year....ohh and my Arod prediction....61

Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

You are a Yankee fan and you have a huge, two out post season (or even regular season) at bat where you need a hit. Who do you want at the plate, Jeter or ARod? Bernie Williams or ARod? Don Mattingly or ARod? Thurman Munson or ARod? I don't quite go as far as Ryan, and I agree that obviously ARod's huge numbers contribute towards winning regular season games, but I generally agree with Ryan's drift.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Would you rather be known as Mr. October or Mr. April or Mr. May? He's riding an incredible streak. It's really early. We'll all find out which A-Rod shows up when it comes crunch time.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Al,

You can't seriously blame A-Rod for taking the money. I'm sure if we were in his shoes we would have taken the money and probably asked for more. With the money though comes the superman type expectations of the fans and media.

Sometimes it's difficult to believe but A-Rod is still only 32.

This could be a peak year for him, I'd like to see hit 62 and have a decent playoff instead of his normal playoff slump.

Peter

Old 04-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed

Sometimes, I actually feel sorry for A-Rod, even though he makes more per AB than I make in...well.... a while.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Your point regarding Jeter vs A-Rod is exactly the situation that existed in 1961 with Mantle vs Maris.

And, what many don't realize is that Mickey was booed a lot his 1st years and then when he won the
TRIPLE CROWN in 1956 the fickle Yankee fans started to cheer him. But, then if he didn't deliver every
time at bat after that year, they booed him again.

It wasn't till mid-season of 1961, when the BB fans realized the developing HR contest between Mantle
and Maris, that they finally started rooting for Mantle....and, haven't stopped ever since.

TED Z

Old 04-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I'd like to see one in my lifetime. And ARod this year has as good a shot as any. Though I suspect he'll fall in batting average, he will make a run at HR and RBI.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

and re-evaluate Mr. A-Rod until after he turns in his late-season and possible post-season performance....and see if THAT is any better...because that is what people will remember....and care about.
April is forgotten as soon as May rolls around

Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Peter C, I was being sarcastic. I'm an A-Rod fan.

Peter S, whether I want A-Rod up in that situation isn't necessarily the question, I don't think.

I want Reggie Jackson up in that situation. But Reggie Jackson couldn't carry A-Rod's jock over the course of an entire season. If I can't have Reggie, I take Tommy Henrich. Then DiMaggio third.

But if I'm picking a team from scratch, am I choosing Jackson or Henrich ahead of Joltin' Joe? No way.

If I had to start a brand new franchise, and had to take a current Yankee as my first pick, I'd be seriously torn about whether to take A-Rod or Jeter. Jeter is a great player, a leader with unbelievable intangibles, but not a power guy or a good defender. A-Rod puts up Bugs Bunny numbers but it seems to be easy to get in his head. Ultimately I don't think you could go wrong either way.

-Al

Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

I can't conceive of taking ARod over Jeter. The Yankees won before ARod and they will win after ARod. Jeter, from my perspective as a Red Sox fan, is the heart soul and guts of that team. EDITED TO ADD Al, Jeter not a good defender? You sure could have fooled me, and didn't he win the last three gold gloves?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

Don't recall him starting strong; if Bonds is going to steal one record with his roids then I'd like to see him lose another. I've always liked A-Rod's comments on roids - have a question - test me. I don't know if that is true but that is what I heard.

So here is to 80 HR's, .340 BA, and of couse MVP status. So long as it does not get them into the playoffs I'm good with that.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Boy are you exact when you said TOMMY HENRICH...."Old Reliable" was his nickname. As a kid I saw him
deliver in "clutch" situations, all season long, better than any other BB player I can remember.

Joe D and Reggie were great, too....and don't forget Mantle....he was the original "Mr October", especially
vs the Dodgers.

But, nobody did it better than TOMMY HENRICH......I think he is still alive in his 90's.

TED Z

Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Ted, I love everything I've read about Henrich. Besides Carl Hubbell, Henrich was my grandfather's favorite player - more than Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, or any other player that played from the 20s til his death in the late 80s. He said Henrich - and Charlie Keller - made up 2/3 of the greatest outfield he'd ever seen.

Peter, Raffy Palmeiro won the Gold Glove the year he played DH. Jeter makes the tough play and the hustle play, and goes into the hole as well as anyone, but just isn't consistent with the routine play. However, you'll notice his defense has improved the last three seasons - in my opinion, this is because he's got a guy with range playing to his right now. Brosius was a solid defender but didn't have range to his left. A-Rod does.

EDIT: I ran out to get a sandwich before, and they had ESPN on the TV - they had a graphic up that said A-Rod is on pace to hit 120 HR and drive in 300 runs. The media is ridiculous.

-Al

Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Well, your Grandfather probably followed Tommy's career from the start, so he is certainly more qualified
than I. I have tapes of all the NYY World Series since 1941. And, as you know, Tommy was so good, he
even delivered in the clutch when he "struck out". I am alluding to the famous passed ball event in the
1941 WS vs the Dodgers.

And again, your Grandfather was correct, when he told you about Keller in Leftfield, DiMag in Center, and
Henrich in Right at Yankee Stadium. And, when Keller's back was aching, McCarthy, Harris or Stengel would
replace him with one of my all-time favorites....Johnny Lindell.

I don't have to tell you, all four of these guys were not only great at bat, but were great at covering that
spacious outfield of the old Yankee Stadium.

Thanks for the memories.

TED Z

Old 04-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

46 home runs for A-Rod in 2007.

In a few months you'll be able to look it up!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

what was the question again? Oh yea...I say triple crown....382 63 homers 167 rbi's...obviously MVP!!!!!

pete ullman in mn

Old 04-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Ted, Al C

Another clutch Yankee player from the general time period was Joe Gordon at 2B, I never understood why he never got as much consideration as Phil Rizzuto for the Hall of Fame.

Peter

Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

everyone has a stick!

prediction 63 homers 133 RBIs and .317 batting average~

BcD

Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

I know this is an A-Rod thread, but it's refreshing to talk about the 1940s Yankees in the wake of David Halberstam's passing this week. Summer of '49 was a great book - and while those teams were certainly all about Joe and Ted, it's the guys like Henrich, Keller, Doerr and Pesky that make those teams real for a guy like me who never got a chance to see them play.

As far as A-Rod is concerned, though, to get back on track - with guys like that, who are vilified on talk radio all day long - I try and step back and just soak up their playing. When they retire, and all the critics have moved onto someone else, people will talk about their talent. I have read so many things about how much Mickey Mantle was booed during his career, particularly after the Yankees stopped winning but also in the early '50s - and people just don't think of that today. I suspect the same will be the case with A-Rod.

-Al

Old 04-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Al,

I also believe that history will be kinder to Alex Rodriguez, but it is unlikely that he will be worshiped anywhere near the degree that Mickey Mantle is.

Peter

Old 04-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

53 for the season for A-Rod

Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Old 04-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

70 HR
.370 BA
193 RBI

I'd be happy to bet even money today that he'll win the RBI and HR titles. I expect him to be in the running for the batting title at least until mid-September, but I don't think he'll win it.