NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Default E98 power ranking according to SGC

Posted By: Dave F

Why is Miner Brown only listed as a 1? Is this not Mordecai? Was there another guy on the team named Miner? Seems it should have a ranking of 3 like most the other lower tier HOF'ers....maybe its deceptive, I've seen this card go cheap and other times expensive.....any reason?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Also would be nice if they put a little more thought into these "rankings". Tenney is listed as a 2...which maybe it should be being a little harder to find..but then shouldn't Coombs and Dahlen also be 2's instead of 1's? Maybe just not enough people have ever cared about the registries to put enough thought into them.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

What is the power ranking? If it is simply a gauge of how difficult the card is, it should be automated based on the population information. If it has to do with value, it should be linked to the SMR.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Matt,

I would guess the ranking number has to do with what the considered price tag would be an each card...but I'm really not sure what they are using to get this number. I know PSA does the same thing and will have equally puzzling ranking numbers up for certain cards within sets that you just know are harder to get hold of.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Seems the power ranking is determined primarily by the popularity of the player on the card. For those interested in the set registry wars, the power ranking is a pretty important number, since it gives a weighting to each card in the set. If you are trying to get the highest registry set, it'd make sense to spend more money on the cards with the highest power rankings, and spend less money on the "1"s (commons) in the set.

I agree with you Dave, the power rankings should take population into more consideration when determining that number.

Rob

Old 11-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Miner Brown is one and the same with Mordacai Brown. It is the same pose as you find for his E93 card. I consider him to be a mid-tier HOF compared with some others in that era. He definately should command a higher ranking than a common. I am sure it was just an oversight by SGC. It is a huge task to rank every card in every set. Those who actively collect the set will always have different opinions. For example, the Clarke card is a tough HOF, but rarely acknowledged as such IMHO.
JimB

Old 11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

IF I understand correctly then, ideally, the "Power Ranking" takes into account the player on the card, as well as the difficulty of the card, which really means that it corresponds to the value of the card, which has those things built in. That being the case, why would you invent a new metric which requires entering manual information for every card in every set - quite an impending task? Why not just use a price guide, or something like VCP which has that already? Plus, it would allow a much more precise "Power Ranking" as opposed to a vague 1 through 10 system.
Bobby Binder should pitch this idea to PSA/SGC (and give me a cut )...

Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn Parson

We have adjusted the weight for Mordecai Brown. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Thank You,
Glyn Parson
S.G.C.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Net54

Old 11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

wow, thats fast service. thanks glyn

Old 11-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Glyn I'm not telling you what to do but you might want to take a look at the power ratings for the Coombs and Vaughn cards in the E98 set also. They are far and away the two toughest cards in the set and when they sell on ebay they sell for more than many of the Hall of Famers...

Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

I am sure that SGC would appreciate some guidance on setting the power numbers on the registry, especially when it comes to identifying rarities among common players. When they determine these intiially, they probably just look at SCD prices. Nearly all the registry folks are here on the board and if we were to agree on weightings, I am sure they would accomodate us.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

a couple of T206 power rankings need adjustment:

Tom Guiheen is a Southern Leaguer and should be a 2 not a 1
and
If Joe Kelley is a 3 so too should McGinnity be a 3.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

It works. Both suggested changes have been made. Thanks Glyn and SGC.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn Parson

If I can be of anymore help please feel free to either email me or post it here, and we will try to get to it as fast as we can.

Glad to help,

Glyn Parson
S.G.C.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Glyn, or anyone that may know...

If you register a card on the set that is authentic instead of having a numerical grade...does it count with your set as a 10? or it doesn't count at all as far as that goes?

Dave

Old 11-16-2007, 04:25 AM
Administrator

New! The Registry Now Accepts Authentic Designation Cards!
To add an authentic card in your registry set
simple enter a capital A as your SGC grade. All
authentic cards have a grade weight of 5.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Ahhh..I see it now Steve. I guess I could have logged on and looked and not been lazy