Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So what was the big meeting all about last night at the national with JP & Marshall? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=126335)

uniship 08-05-2010 07:22 AM

So what was the big meeting all about last night at the national with JP & Marshall?

Can anyone report what the meeting was about? Thanks.

Matthew H 08-05-2010 12:01 PM

I think they were comparing their National want lists.

Anthony S. 08-05-2010 12:42 PM

The first 30 minutes were spent practicing saying the phrases "I cannot recall" and "I'm sorry, it's been so long, I can't remember."

slidekellyslide 08-05-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony S. (Post 827415)
The first 30 minutes were spent practicing saying the phrases "I cannot recall" and "I'm sorry, it's been so long, I can't remember."

The next 30 minutes were spent memorizing this one:

"I wish to execute my 5th Amendment right on the advice of my attorney, I refuse to answer that question because it may incriminate me."

bigtrain 08-05-2010 12:51 PM

I recall a J.P. Cohen who was sentenced to 37 months in federal prison for wire fraud a few years ago. It was in connection with a fundraising scam in which donors were told that money would be used to buy wheelchairs for veterans and to provide holiday parties for sick children in local hospitals. In fact, he and his cronies were lining their pockets. This couldn't be the same J.P. Cohen, could it?

slidekellyslide 08-05-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtrain (Post 827417)
I recall a J.P. Cohen who was sentenced to 37 months in federal prison for wire fraud a few years ago. It was in connection with a fundraising scam in which donors were told that money would be used to buy wheelchairs for veterans and to provide holiday parties for sick children in local hospitals. In fact, he and his cronies were lining their pockets. This couldn't be the same J.P. Cohen, could it?

Same one.

tbob 08-05-2010 12:55 PM

I believe he is the same person, but not positive.

bigtrain 08-05-2010 12:56 PM

And this meeting could have been called "Dinner for Schmucks"?

buymycards 08-05-2010 02:53 PM

Rumor

I think I know the topic of the meeting, but it could be just a rumor. PSA, Beckett and SGC are going to join forces and they will start using a real 100 point grading system, and the grades will be assigned by a computer. All existing grades from every grading company will be declared null and void, and all existing graded cards will need to resubmitted and regraded on the 100 point scale. Every card will be assigned a value, according to the assigned grade, and it will be illegal for any cards to be sold for 10% more or less than the assigned value.

Time for my medication.

Rick

barrysloate 08-05-2010 03:27 PM

Is that true, or a joke? Because it sounds more like a joke.

FUBAR 08-05-2010 03:35 PM

um joke... TPG would never band together!

barrysloate 08-05-2010 03:46 PM

I believed the part about all the cards having to be resubmitted again...that would be a grading company's dream!

Doug 08-05-2010 04:04 PM

It could have been a meeting between the Priory of Sion and Opus Dei over the possibility of the PSA 8 Wagner being trimmed on the basis that an early photograph of it may exist with larger, yet wavy borders. :eek:

Matthew H 08-05-2010 05:35 PM

Maybe they were debating whether or not they'll show Bruce their PSA 11 Ultra-MT rare type cards.

calvindog 08-05-2010 06:51 PM

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that the meeting was led by Bill Mastro's best friend, attended by JP Cohen, and involved the proposed formation of some ill-conceived trade association in which its dealer members would pay a large fee to join and somehow abide by some code of rules in order to act as a bulwark against some very bad impending news in the hobby.

Of course, anyone who would pay money to such a body would be utterly insane -- probably about as insane as anyone who trusted Bill Mastro and JP Cohen with their money over the years.

It goes without saying that it is laughable to even imagine that such a group gathered last night was somehow concerned with eliminating fraud in the hobby as opposed to simply protecting their own past and future financial gains. But then again, I'm just imagining what could have happened in that room last night as I wasn't invited.

Orioles1954 08-05-2010 06:57 PM

Jeff,

Are you at the National?

Rob D. 08-05-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 827472)
Jeff,

Are you at the National?

He got banned.

Peter_Spaeth 08-05-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Jeff,

Are you at the National?

Shhhh he is traveling incognito.

buymycards 08-05-2010 07:25 PM

Barry

Hi Barry, my post was a pathetic attempt at humor.

Rick:o

Jewish-collector 08-05-2010 07:37 PM

I heard there wasn't any food there, so I didn't go. :D

Matthew H 08-05-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 827443)
I believed the part about all the cards having to be resubmitted again...that would be a grading company's dream!

I wouldn't mind as long as the new holders are as appealing as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2

Doug 08-05-2010 08:02 PM

Since the email about the meeting supposedly said "this meeting is important in combating the national consequences that are about to occur causing damage to the reputation and the past financial successes of our industry." I'm very curious as to what these "national consequences that are about to occur" are since they apparently already know, but nobody else was informed? :confused:

calvindog 08-05-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Jeff,

Are you at the National?

I was there from Weds at the start until near the end of the day today. And yes, I was pretty incognito. I'll be discussing my impressions of the National tomorrow on a radio show from 5-9 am that I'm hosting in NYC. I'm glad that most of the people who were at the National will not be tuning in.

Peter_Spaeth 08-05-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 827487)
I was there from Weds at the start until near the end of the day today. And yes, I was pretty incognito. I'll be discussing my impressions of the National tomorrow on a radio show from 5-9 am that I'm hosting in NYC. I'm glad that most of the people who were at the National will not be tuning in.

Crabs, beer and fraudsters....:D

BCauley 08-05-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 827487)

Any chance any of this will be posted to the internet somewhere? I get into the office in DC at 0530 so unfortunately I'll miss it live.

I was planning on going to the show this weekend but we just moved, have a little league baseball field about 60 yards from our back door, and my three year old just got his first wiffle ball and bat and loves being on the field with them so I'm taking a pass. My first national visit will have to wait.

Peter_Spaeth 08-05-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 827486)
Since the email about the meeting supposedly said "this meeting is important in combating the national consequences that are about to occur causing damage to the reputation and the past financial successes of our industry." I'm very curious as to what these "national consequences that are about to occur" are since they apparently already know, but nobody else was informed? :confused:

Who knows, maybe someone will get indicted.

Doug 08-05-2010 09:11 PM

I was joking at first with the whole Da Vinci Code reference, but the idea that only a small group of people is privy to "national consequences about to occur causing damage to the reputation and to the past financial successes of our industry" (or what I thought was a hobby) seems a bit disturbing... :confused:

Jim VB 08-05-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCauley (Post 827490)
Any chance any of this will be posted to the internet somewhere? I get into the office in DC at 0530 so unfortunately I'll miss it live.

I was planning on going to the show this weekend but we just moved, have a little league baseball field about 60 yards from our back door, and my three year old just got his first wiffle ball and bat and loves being on the field with them so I'm taking a pass. My first national visit will have to wait.

Bill,

Any chance you can listen on the internet while at work? Jeff's show tomorrow is available at: www.AM970theApple.com

ethicsprof 08-05-2010 11:05 PM

joke

barry s,
i thought i was the only dinosaur who had to ask folks if something's a joke or not. Thanks for being my friend once again!!
all the best,
barry a

uniship 08-06-2010 04:31 AM

Jeff - your radio show

listening now (6:31 am EST), have you already done your National review or is that forthcoming? thx.

barrysloate 08-06-2010 04:34 AM

Hey, I'll believe anything...if it's funny enough.

timzcardz 08-06-2010 04:47 AM

I'm not sure what it was about, but they may be worried about the guy I saw I walking around whose shirt was drawing a lot of attention.

The back of his shirt simply said....

GRAND
SLAM
BIDS
.COM

barrysloate 08-06-2010 05:05 AM

I'm listening to Jeff now too...Jeff talks for a minute, then there are nine minutes of commercials. What a crappy station.

calvindog 08-06-2010 05:21 AM

Barry, someone's got to pay the bills over here!

calvindog 08-06-2010 05:21 AM

I'll be talking about the National again in this hour.

barrysloate 08-06-2010 05:22 AM

I know Jeff...and I'm actually agreeing with some of your points...but not all, of course.

uniship 08-06-2010 05:29 AM

focus

please stop talking about all the issues of the day and let's get to the important stuff - baseball cards - heheh

calvindog 08-06-2010 05:45 AM

I'll get to the National again, I promise. I spent 15 mins on it earlier this morning.

barrysloate 08-06-2010 06:10 AM

99.9% overweight and misshapen...:)

Peter_Spaeth 08-06-2010 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 827525)
I'll get to the National again, I promise. I spent 15 mins on it earlier this morning.

A nation waits breathlessly.

carrigansghost 08-06-2010 06:17 AM

NEt54 calender?

My girlfriend is waiting with great anticipation. I hope Wonka is working on it already.

Rawn

calvindog 08-06-2010 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 827528)
99.9% overweight and misshapen...:)

Grotesque oddities. :)

Peter_Spaeth 08-06-2010 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 827495)
I was joking at first with the whole Da Vinci Code reference, but the idea that only a small group of people is privy to "national consequences about to occur causing damage to the reputation and to the past financial successes of our industry" (or what I thought was a hobby) seems a bit disturbing... :confused:

There have been rumors that certain industry executives are soon to be indicted. That is hinted at in the Daily News article posted a few days ago. I don't think it's anything more than that.

barrysloate 08-06-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 827531)
Grotesque oddities. :)

Being someone who tips the scales at about 150 pounds, I was always fascinated by the girth of some of these guys. Don't they ever say "no" to that second helping of apple pie?

Peter_Spaeth 08-06-2010 06:38 AM

Not everyone can be an ascetic.

barrysloate 08-06-2010 07:01 AM

Returning to more serious matters, the problem with forming a group of dealers to police the hobby is the ones who agree to join are generally the honest and ethical ones, and those who operate below the radar will not join.

So how will this proposed group deal with the card doctors, autograph forgers, and general miscreants who will still conduct business a usual?

bigtrain 08-06-2010 07:28 AM

Are we talking about a group of dealers led by a convicted felon and his friends?
Maybe the hobby needs a Commissioner. I nominate Jeff.

mark evans 08-06-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 827538)
Returning to more serious matters, the problem with forming a group of dealers to police the hobby is the ones who agree to join are generally the honest and ethical ones, and those who operate below the radar will not join.

So how will this proposed group deal with the card doctors, autograph forgers, and general miscreants who will still conduct business a usual?

Net 54ers notwithstanding, I think that the issue of fraud in the hobby is not fully appreciated by a wide range of collectors. If, however, indictments and convictions stem from the current investigation and are well publicized, then collectors generally should become sensitive to these problems.

Then, assuming a strong and vibrant association of ethical dealers (auction houses/authenticators/graders) is established and becomes recognized by collectors, those who decline to join should over time be driven from the hobby.

Another problem arises obviously if it is the dealers with a checkered past who attempt to associate. The system will only work, in my view, where a strong code of ethics can be established and enforced.

Peter_Spaeth 08-06-2010 07:51 AM

A strong and vibrant association of ethical dealers. Don't we all wish.

calvindog 08-06-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtrain (Post 827544)
Are we talking about a group of dealers led by a convicted felon and his friends?
Maybe the hobby needs a Commissioner. I nominate Jeff.

I can't be Commissioner -- I'm banned.