Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   help- opinion on moving collection (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=225022)

theshleps 07-05-2016 06:45 PM

help- opinion on moving collection

I am moving locations next week. About a 1400 mile move. My collection is worth $500,000+. The volume (mostly signed cards) consist of 5 boxes each about 12"x16"x24 inches. Each weighs maybe 50+ pounds
What do you think the best way to move it is.
1)Should I take it in the car with us and bring it in the motel at night?
2) Trust the moving company (a well known national one)
3) Do UPS or Fed Ex
4) Registered mail isn't a good option due to size and type box it is packed in.
If you were me how would you do it??
Thanks

ruth-gehrig 07-05-2016 06:51 PM

The first thought that jumps to my mind is...."Is all this insured just in case ________ happens regardless of how it is being transported"? Personally I like the idea of transporting in the car where you have more control of how it is handled (not thrown around or what by moving company or UPS/FedEx) plus you can keep an eye on it (I mean keep an eye on the road)

bnorth 07-05-2016 06:52 PM

I would put them in the car trunk and leave them there till I got to the new place.

Have a safe trip.:)

Bestdj777 07-05-2016 06:52 PM

I have moved approximately 30 times and always move everything of value myself. Things disappear all the time in moves. I'd pack up your collection, your photos, any irreplaceable items, and jewelry in your car and either drive straight through or move it in to your hotel every night.

111gecko 07-05-2016 07:07 PM

Moving Advice

I moved/drove exactly 1644 miles 3 years ago. This was the simple answer for me:
Guns/Gold/Cards don't leave my side. The wife flew....

Klrdds 07-05-2016 08:57 PM

I took mine with me on all my moves. A little less space for other personal items in my vehicle was worth it to me in order to have peace of mind about my collection.

Exhibitman 07-05-2016 10:36 PM

Check with an armored transporting company like Brinks. They offer secured logistics for just these sorts of moves.

quinnsryche 07-06-2016 07:22 AM

Option 1. Never a second thought as to the other ones. If it leaves your sight and you never see it again you'll never forgive yourself and regret it the rest of your life. Sorry if that sounds too serious but I believe it 100%.

MooseDog 07-06-2016 08:54 AM

Agree with keeping close to the vest. Even when traveling to shows that required a motel stop I always kept the best stuff with me...just in case.

theshleps 07-06-2016 03:39 PM

Seems we have pretty much of a consensus. Will be a 2 day trip if all goes well. Hopefully will be safe and easy. Thanks for all the input.

xplainer 07-06-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 111gecko (Post 1558575)
i moved/drove exactly 1644 miles 3 years ago. This was the simple answer for me:
Guns/gold/cards don't leave my side. The wife flew....

lol. Now, that was funny.

btcarfagno 07-06-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshleps (Post 1558889)
Seems we have pretty much of a consensus. Will be a 2 day trip if all goes well. Hopefully will be safe and easy. Thanks for all the input.

Leave your stuff with me. For as long as you need to. It will be well drooled on taken care of.

Tom C

CardboardCollector 07-06-2016 07:46 PM

Michael,

You list your location as HI (Hawaii). 1,400 miles is an awfully wet drive to somewhere in the Pacific.

But seriously, I have packed my stuff up with me and drove cross country. Keeping it near me in the hotel at night.

Dean

theshleps 07-06-2016 08:04 PM

Our lives are in transition. part of the year in HI, part in AZ. Giving up AZ for WA.
Debating giving up the bank deposit boxes and keeping everything in a safe at home since it is a low crime area and I get to "play" with the collection more

HexsHeroes 07-07-2016 09:04 AM

. . . I am with the consenus too; personally transport and if possible,
do not let boxes out of my sight.

Given the value of the collection, I also share this same viewpoint when
the time comes to sell my collection. Several dealers offers involve shipping
to them inorder to get their buying price. Since my autograph collection is
kept in 4-5 storage tubs, and carries a substantial value too, it will not be
traveling separate from my person/vehicle either. That said, quite possible
that collection value might merit a personal visit (round trip flight) by
interested dealer(s).

As for insurance, I believe there have been earlier threads on this topic
within Net54. Do not recall whether there was an obvious opinion or
experiences one way or the other regarding the effectiveness of such
coverage. But certainly worth revisiting and considering.

Huck 07-09-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 111gecko (Post 1558575)
i moved/drove exactly 1644 miles 3 years ago. This was the simple answer for me:
Guns/gold/cards don't leave my side. The wife flew....

lmao!

MacDice 07-09-2016 08:37 PM

Welcome to WA. It doesn't rain as much as people thinks it does. What city are you moving too?

theshleps 07-09-2016 09:30 PM

tacoma

theshleps 07-16-2016 07:26 AM

Collection arrived safely. Now I have to decide about getting a large safe vs renting many large safe deposit boxes vs some combo of the two. Everything from a mayo Plug signed Hugh Duffy to a signed reprint card of Bob Feller. How to organize them and how to store them are a problem. Our subdivision hasn't had a breakin ever but the town does. Do you feel a large quality safe is better than a bank?

MooseDog 07-16-2016 09:18 AM

For safes fire resistant doesn't necessarily mean fire proof...also worst case can smoke get into a safe? I think if I was dead set on keeping stuff that valuable and I didn't need to "enjoy" them more than a few times a year a bank vault would be preferable. Temp control, high $ fire system, etc.

Also, I know this is way out there but what's your elevation? The NW coast has a higher than zero percent chance of tsunami from a quake in the Pacific Rim.