Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tuesday Night Trivia. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=298750)

Mountaineer1999 03-16-2021 08:53 PM

Tuesday Night Trivia.

Just for fun as I thought it was a fun Stat.
Without Google,, name the only player to hit a homerun in his first and last major league at bat? His 1st homerun was 1966 and last was 1969. He has 1 topps card... a 1969 shared RC.

*these were his only two big league homers.

FrankWakefield 03-16-2021 09:18 PM

I like the question, don't know the answer, and I expect it'll be a name I remember from when I was a kid... The question has made me smile, thanks. I think the answer will, too.

Cmvorce 03-16-2021 09:41 PM

Cant wait to hear the answer to this

Mountaineer1999 03-17-2021 04:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmvorce (Post 2082080)
Cant wait to hear the answer to this

The answer is John Miller. I had never heard of John but maybe some of you had. Thanks for playing along.

mr2686 03-18-2021 11:37 AM

Actually I think there was one other. Paul Gillespie also did it in the 1940's, but for Martin it was his ONLY 2 homeruns. :eek:

Jcosta19 03-18-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 2082670)
Actually I think there was one other. Paul Gillespie also did it in the 1940's, but for Martin it was his ONLY 2 homeruns. :eek:

I think Gillespie only did it in regular season at bats, but had post season at bats after to end his career.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SD 03-18-2021 12:00 PM

That is correct. Gillespie finished the regular season with a HR. Goose egg in the post season. He was supposed to be the next great Dickey like catcher. Never panned out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcosta19 (Post 2082674)
I think Gillespie only did it in regular season at bats, but had post season at bats after to end his career.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye 03-18-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 (Post 2082127)
The answer is John Miller. I had never heard of John but maybe some of you had. Thanks for playing along.

Write him as he's a great signer TTM.

nolemmings 03-18-2021 02:39 PM

Thanks for that

Interesting player--maybe worth writing him to learn more. Seems he flat out retired after the 1969 season, at age 25. No more minors, no effort to wait for a chance through the new expansion, just sayonara. All after hitting .452 in the minors that year, albeit in very limited action. I wonder if had injury problems or just felt buried on the Dodgers' roster, especially with Garvey nearly ready to stick.

Also interesting is that Miller nearly had one more opportunity to bat and either spoil his trivia notoriety or cement it with another homer. In his last game he was announced as a pinch hitter with the winning run on 2b in the bottom of the 11th inning. After a pitching change and before the AB, Len Gabrielson hit in his place-- and promptly singled to win the game. If Miller bats, we likely would not be talking about him now. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

ValKehl 03-18-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2082733)
Interesting player--maybe worth writing him to learn more. Seems he flat out retired after the 1969 season, at age 25. No more minors, no effort to wait for a chance through the new expansion, just sayonara. All after hitting .452 in the minors that year, albeit in very limited action. I wonder if had injury problems or just felt buried on the Dodgers' roster, especially with Garvey nearly ready to stick.

Also interesting is that Miller nearly had one more opportunity to bat and either spoil his trivia notoriety or cement it with another homer. In his last game he was announced as a pinch hitter with the winning run on 2b in the bottom of the 11th inning. After a pitching change and before the AB, Len Gabrielson hit in his place-- and promptly singled to win the game. If Miller bats, we likely would not be talking about him now. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Todd, I think woulda, coulda, gooda-that-he-didn't is more appropriate! :)
Hope all is going well for you.