View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 06:18 AM
Chuck Whisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
These cards appear to have been well cared for with little light and handling and still the grades from PSA were from the photos in the 4-5 range. I still don't understand where the 7's-8's-9's come from from the 1910-1930's. Yes, I think I know, how they attain that range.
Question: Do the graders know who is submitting the cards ? Since it is on the flip , that's why my asking. thanks Great cards for the hobby.
The Goudey cards were like none I've ever seen (color, corners, edges were like they were recently printed) - you can tell they were not exposed to sun or air (the less oxidation the better). They seemed very pack fresh and the backs were white. I guess the grades are based on the centering, but still expecting (and hopeful) that some Goudeys and Play Balls will get 7-8 range, as the Goudeys so far have been consistently in the 4-6 range. I don't think graders know where cards come from, as the flips get made at the last step in the process by another group. As far as I know, one group researches and enters cards, one group grades, and one group slabs and does the flips. The eye appeal of the signed Goudey cards will extend above and beyond any grade. When they go to auction, you will see high-quality scans that will really highlight how the color pops. Most signed Goudeys that I've seen slabbed are only graded authentic, so maybe it is difficult to get a 7 or 8 card grade due to centering or other reasons.