View Single Post
Old 08-23-2021, 10:10 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Im trying to convey comparable as a player AND (probably more importantly when you are debating issues drive by player popularity which card value is one of those things) popularity. Cobb was vastly more popular with fans around the league than Jackson who like I said was popular just not as much and Cobb...my point was Cobb was on another level and Ruth well no one will ever be on his level of popularity. Speaker I still say is the best comparison to make here if you want to try to play the what if game with Jackson and then translate that to card sales...I may have went a little over the top in that Jackson would be largely forgotten, maybe maybe not, Speaker isnt really forgotten but how many casuals know who Speaker was...

My main point...
without the scandal Jackson's rookie card (and all cards for that matter) would track along with Speaker's rookie cards and others of his (save for rare backed T206s)

Jackson is well known now bc of the scandal and more so the 2 movies in the 1980s and that has driven his sales...without that he would not have the appeal of the BIG names like Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Jackie, Mantle and with it he barely does...which I guess is kind of the point of this topic...

Last edited by ThomasL; 08-23-2021 at 10:12 PM.