View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 04:54 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Great team to bring up! IMO Belle and Manny should be in the hall. Omar probably ends up getting in, and Lofton was just another couple good years away from joining them.

Also, not to call you out but you left Sandy Alomar Jr. off that list (he was probably hurt most of the season though)... not a HOFer but it's crazy to me how people forget he was one of the best, if not the best, catchers from that era. Probably a lot of people at that time thought he would end up in Cooperstown as well.
Great point about Sandy, and I did think about putting on the list, but then decided not to after double-checking his career numbers. I was thinking that had I put him on the list, someone may have jumped in and called me out for having included him. I totally agree, he was a great catcher, but you know how many on this forum are with the dependence on modern statistics and measurements. They would just look at his numbers and immediately wonder what was so good about him, he looks average at best on paper. He had a 20 year career, with only a 13.7 WAR.

Actually, I should have also mentioned Brian Giles and put him on the list as well, since 1995 was his initial season playing in the big leagues with the Indians, though he only appeared in 6 games as a late season call up, I believe. I almost didn't list Carlos Baerga, along the same lines for not having listed Sandy Alomar Jr., as Baerga had a career WAR of only 19.6 over his 14 year ML seasons. But with Baerga's .291 career batting average, and his memorable time with Omar Vizquel as a premier double play combo, I felt I had to leave him on after all.