View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
That is a little like saying I don't know why Dick Butkus ever made the Football Hall of Fame he was only a good defensive player

I don't know why it took the Hall of Fame so long to recognize that Bill Mazeroski was the greatest defensive 2nd baseman of all time or Wes Parker STILL is not in the Hall of Fame even though he is considered the greatest defensive first baseman of the century
Still, others put up gawdy offensive numbers while also maintaining superior defensive value in '44. Not saying that defense isn't an important factor, he just really did not help the team out offensively as much would want from a HOF'er, didn't score many runs, his OBP is horrible.

IMHO I believe that a HOF'er shouldn't get in on being the greatest in one facet of the game outside of a pitcher, like Marion for JUST his defense (potential candidate). For position players you should be able to do it all, that's what truly makes you THE best, the five tools, or close to it. You need to be able to maintain a great average, drive in runs and well as score runs, smart on the basepaths even if you don't have the steals numbers, patient at the plate and draw your walks to get on base, have great range, good reads/jumps, strong arm, and high baseball IQ. If you are an offensive monster, but have negative defensive value and actually could possibly hurt the team more than help, how should you be a HOF'er? I believe that's what makes you a HOF'er. I mean you can be unreal in one facet, but at least be average in the others.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 11-07-2012 at 09:54 AM.