View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 08:22 AM
Al Richter

The 3 52 DPs have noticeable differences front and back. Many if not most Topps DPs have very subtle differences, often only minor cropping differences.

For myself I view cards with recurring differences from their common counterparts as variants. I tend to view variations as variants where the difference resulted from an intentional intervention in the cards appearance by the manufacturer , such as the added traded or option lines in 1959 or the correction of Spahn’s DOB.

Although DP differences themselves were not likely intended, they did result from intentional decisions in the printing process. But as I conceded to Adam there are hundreds of very subtle DP differences. For instance there are two versions of the 1956 Ted Williams card that are pretty hard to spot. ( not the 55 dotted i card)

And how can it be accurately determined if the hundreds of recurring print defects in cards were detected and corrected or simply came and went undetected in the printing process ?

If you collect any and all variations, variants, varieties, errors corrected and uncorrected, definitions may not matter. But it is hobby recognition of card differences that creates market demand and drives pricing.

PSA recognition seems to be one of the few ways to get current recognition of a “new” variation. But I guess if they can designate a 61 Fairly with an errant green smudge in the baseball on the card back as a variation, there is hope for almost any defect

We need someone in charge of this stuff