View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
Just read the 4 pages of that thread. There is nothing conclusive about Ted's assertion that the card isnt real. It may be re-backed, it may be legit. What I get from Ted's argument is that because he has never seen, in person, a Cobb with a Hindu back, they must not exist. Im not too sure i'd subscribe to that theory. Someone dropped 38 large on that card. I tend to think that the guy who spends that type of money may know something about what he is buying. Ted offered conjecture, hypothesis, and his opinion. The other guy offered a year's worth of the average person's salary. Furthermore, since that very public sale occured about 3 years ago, dont you think it would be known by now if the card was indeed altered?
That "very public sale" occured on May 03, 2009, not quite a year ago. The thread I linked was from last January, BEFORE the REA catalog came out.

I don't know if Ted's right or not. That's not my point. The important thing is he's put a lot more thought and effort into tracking T206 than you ever will. Show some manners. He offered a lot more than conjecture.

And the first thing I learned in the high end of this hobby is that there is always someone with more money than you could imagine, who are willing to drop $38,000 on a card they think is rare.

It's not always about who has the most money. They are not always the smartest. Money doesn't always trump everything else. Hell, I heard the owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks dropped $2.8 million on a trimmed card.

Last edited by Jim VB; 04-21-2010 at 10:18 AM.