NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2023, 10:31 AM

Default why do sellers change asking price to sold after a sale?

this has probably been answered before, and maybe it's a dumb question, but why do sellers change the sale price to sold on their items once the deal is done?

as a research nerd, i always like to have as much info as possible. so that sale price would be helpful.

thanks in advance for your responses
Old 09-04-2023, 10:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

We have discussed this countless times, and I will never understand it, IMO it's obnoxious.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
We have discussed this countless times, and I will never understand it, IMO it's obnoxious.
is there a benefit to doing that as a seller? aside from just not wanting others to know what the sale price was?
Old 09-04-2023, 10:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
is there a benefit to doing that as a seller? aside from just not wanting others to know what the sale price was?
What's the usual rationale we hear, protecting privacy or something?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:50 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
When I sell a card for the asking price, I always happily display this information, to help promote the idea that people should stop trying to get a discount from my listed prices.

When I sell at a discount to asking, I usually do not display that information because I don't want people to get the idea that they can get a discount from my asking prices.

It's as simple as that.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 09-04-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:

About as well said as can be. Irritating to not leave the asking price, not necessarily the sell price. And makes no logical sense to me.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 09-04-2023, 10:56 AM

I have always been tempted to do so to hide the fact that I may have sold something too cheaply.

Brian - the bashful seller that still hasn't changed a sold price to 'Sold' or just a $ sign
Old 09-04-2023, 10:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
When I sell a card for the asking price, I always happily display this information, to help promote the idea that people should stop trying to get a discount from my listed prices.

When I sell at a discount to asking, I usually do not display that information because I don't want people to get the idea that they can get a discount from my asking prices.

It's as simple as that.
Right, if I took something off I wouldn't go out of my way to advertise it either, but neither would I eliminate all pricing information and substitute $SOLD.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:02 AM

It’s generally understood that in markets like this the transaction information is property of the buyer and therefore up to him to disclose terms.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:21 AM
Drew W@i$e

Because they can (for whatever reasons they choose).
Old 09-04-2023, 11:22 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

1) the listed price is often not what it actually sold at. Often it traded. Often I took the OBO option.

2) the sales data for 99% of cards sold here on the BST is easily found by clicking eBay’s sold results to get a much larger data set. Unique stuff isn’t sold here all that often. I just don’t see any meaningful purpose.

3) because some people don’t really read and will continue to send emails even after I’ve said it’s sold or traded or gone, but if “$SOLD” is written over the price they can’t miss it because that’s the part people read.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:55 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
About as well said as can be. Irritating to not leave the asking price, not necessarily the sell price. And makes no logical sense to me.
Agreed. Leave the asking price shown and indicate "No longer available".
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:22 PM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

I think most sellers dont actually know why they do it. They just follow what theyve seen and it becomes a chain reaction for most sellers to follow suit.

AF15
Old 09-04-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingPaper View Post
I think most sellers dont actually know why they do it. They just follow what theyve seen and it becomes a chain reaction for most sellers to follow suit.
i think i've sold maybe 3 cards since joining the site, and this is why i did it. lack of knowledge, lack of experience, etc.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
i think i've sold maybe 3 cards since joining the site, and this is why i did it. lack of knowledge, lack of experience, etc.
There is a dollar starting bid auction section. Get over there and sell something.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:51 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

A related question: why do sellers bump their threads only to comment "SOLD" when you can simply edit the original post?
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 09-04-2023, 01:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
A related question: why do sellers bump their threads only to comment "SOLD" when you can simply edit the original post?
That is the one that makes me go WTF and makes no sense to do.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
There is a dollar starting bid auction section. Get over there and sell something.

the lack of a clue how to post pictures really hurts my chances
Old 09-04-2023, 01:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:

the lack of a clue how to post pictures really hurts my chances
Whenever you want to learn email me and I will walk you through it.
Old 09-04-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is the one that makes me go WTF and makes no sense to do.
I'm glad you finally said WTF
Old 09-04-2023, 02:50 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I've done it a few times, and other times haven't. If it's a knocked down price, you may get a bunch of emails like "Had I known you were going down to $425 on that card. . . . " Those are annoying too.

My attitude is a negotiation is a private matter unless both sides want to disclose it.

I'm also sure many people on the board have done transactions before where the details of which weren't publiclly disclosed. Don't see how this is offensive to anyone. Private negotiations remain private until the parties decide otherwise.

BTW, why would you have that much interest in the sale price of a card you had no interest buying in the first place?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-04-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:22 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotdeutsch View Post
It’s generally understood that in markets like this the transaction information is property of the buyer and therefore up to him to disclose terms.
But I imagine who marked $SOLD be upset if a buyer then posted the price?
Old 09-04-2023, 03:30 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
No, as seller I wouldn't care if buyer disclosed it. Not at all.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

The offer price, and any reductions made on the forum, were already "disclosed." This has nothing to do with keeping a private sale private. Nobody else on the board even knows who bought the damn card. The question is, having already posted the price, why go out of your way to delete it?

Old 09-04-2023, 03:32 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I've done it a few times, and other times haven't. If it's a knocked down price, you may get a bunch of emails like "Had I known you were going down to $425 on that card. . . . " Those are annoying too.

My attitude is a negotiation is a private matter unless both sides want to disclose it.

I'm also sure many people on the board have done transactions before where the details of which weren't publiclly disclosed. Don't see how this is offensive to anyone. Private negotiations remain private until the parties decide otherwise.

BTW, why would you have that much interest in the sale price of a card you had no interest buying in the first place?

Agree!!
Old 09-04-2023, 03:33 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Not in the slightest. They can post screencaps of our email conversations about it if they want. I don’t get why anyone would care in the slightest; how many cards are sold on the BST for which there is no pricing information available and people who didn’t buy it really have an interest in knowing? A handful?

Last edited by G1911; 09-04-2023 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Fixed a missing letter.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post

It's as simple as that.
+1
Old 09-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
No, as seller I wouldn't care if buyer disclosed it. Not at all.
Then why are you deleting it?

Old 09-04-2023, 03:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I just assume that it's people not wanting the IRS to see what transactions they should now be taxed on.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:50 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

I will chime in here as this is something I do.. here is my rationale:

At first, I had no idea how to sell a card, so I just did it because everyone else does.

now I continue for the following reasons.
1) it makes it clear the card is sold. I have left prices up (and note sold in the message) and continue to get messages on cards.

2) It protects the buyer from others knowing who bought it. If someone sends a "PM sent" message and the card is sold shortly thereafter, it can be known who bought the card and at what price.

3) Sometimes I may take a lower price and do not want that to be the base case assumption for other cards in the listing

There are definitely ways to accomplish all of these and also leave the sale price, but I just find this easier and preferable for me. I am not sure why this would annoy anyone.

I am annoyed by the unwritten rule that no one can comment on on a seller's cards/prices. IMO there is a nefarious/dishonest intent behind this, but I abide by it.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236

Last edited by Oscar_Stanage; 09-04-2023 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I covered this topic just a bit in my 'Collectorisms' thread...

25. The War of the Discloses
The eternal, ongoing debate of whether or not the price of a card sold in the B/S/T section should be kept in the thread for posterity’s sake, or removed by the seller.

519. Fool’s Sold
Adding a new post to your own thread (that everyone is now forced to read) to declare that the card has been sold, instead of simply editing the title to reflect this fact.

915. Cost Suppressant (refer to #25)
The deliberate removal of the asking price of a card in a thread after it has been sold.

See also: Sticker Stifler - a seller who chooses to edit out the price of his card to make it now read something to the effect of “$SOLD.”

See also: Dollarsense - the argument that leaving the sales price in for everyone to see is beneficial to the entire collecting community.

See also: Stetsman - someone who abides by the principal of leaving his asking price in and unchanged following a sale.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Darren, 915 is brilliant.

Old 09-04-2023, 03:58 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I always replace the price with SOLD as well as in the title, no particular reason other than that's my preference. If you're that interested and want to know what the card sold for PM me, I'll tell you, which I have done many times for members.

WTF +1 on bumping in the reply section instead of the title when the card is sold.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-04-2023, 04:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ryan, what type of comments would you want to make on B/S/T listings?

Old 09-04-2023, 04:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Darren, 915 is brilliant.
I would say thank you...but the pessimistic implication would be that the other two just plain suck.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 09-04-2023, 04:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I would say thank you...but the pessimistic implication would be that the other two just plain suck.
Hahaha. Not at all, just the one stood out.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:30 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I just assume that it's people not wanting the IRS to see what transactions they should now be taxed on.
I don't think the IRS has the resources to be looking for online sales and to try to connect them to someone without a social security number being available with the transaction, unless Leon is going to start sending in 1099s for any card that sells for over $600.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:52 PM
Fred

Perhaps in some cases, the seller doesn't want to disclose the sale price because there are those the saw the "offer to sale" price and will be able to gauge how much a seller will negotiate the next time something is offered for sale.

I'm not afraid to send an offer to a seller. Worst case is that they say no or there's further negotiation. What's poor form is when people just completely low ball the seller, or (and I know I'm going to get an earful about this next comment) is when someone has a really nice sale price and someone buys it to flip it quick to make a few bucks. In my opinion, if someone has a nice price on it, let it go to another board member that can appreciate the card and hold on to it because they truly want it as part of their collection - ok, bring it on, let's hear the reasoning about capitalism and "if one person didn't do it, then someone else would do it".
Old 09-04-2023, 05:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Then why are you deleting it?
Because I don't know if the buyer is cool with me disclosing it. I assume the ball is in his court.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Perhaps in some cases, the seller doesn't want to disclose the sale price because there are those the saw the "offer to sale" price and will be able to gauge how much a seller will negotiate the next time something is offered for sale.

I'm not afraid to send an offer to a seller. Worst case is that they say no or there's further negotiation. What's poor form is when people just completely low ball the seller, or (and I know I'm going to get an earful about this next comment) is when someone has a really nice sale price and someone buys it to flip it quick to make a few bucks. In my opinion, if someone has a nice price on it, let it go to another board member that can appreciate the card and hold on to it because they truly want it as part of their collection - ok, bring it on, let's hear the reasoning about capitalism and "if one person didn't do it, then someone else would do it".
I have sold countless cards on here to see them reappear back on here for sale. One buyer on here has resold easily 90% of the cards he has bought from me on here. Sometimes they get relisted on here fairly quickly and sometimes he holds them before reselling them on here.

The 2 biggest cards I bought on this forum was resold to 2 different members and then later put back up for sale on here again. As members we pass around a lot of cards amongst ourselves.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:22 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Stanage View Post
I am annoyed by the unwritten rule that no one can comment on on a seller's cards/prices. IMO there is a nefarious/dishonest intent behind this, but I abide by it.
I could have sworn this was a written rule somewhere…

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-04-2023, 05:46 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Buy more cards

As I said years ago if you want to know more prices, buy more cards...Jerry
Old 09-04-2023, 06:03 PM
Chase

Quote:
Right, if I took something off I wouldn't go out of my way to advertise it either, but neither would I eliminate all pricing information and substitute $SOLD.
Agree that it is a super douchy move. If one has the price up to begin with, just leave it and write SOLD next to it. Nobody needs to know if they discounted 50% or not.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:06 PM
Bob B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
As I said years ago if you want to know more prices, buy more cards...Jerry
Yes- This
Old 09-04-2023, 06:40 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Im curious what the dishonest intent is here?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-04-2023, 06:51 PM
Ben Morton

I hate when sellers do that. I sell, inevitably it sells for a different number than my list price, and I don’t go out of my way to revise the number. But I don’t delete the original list.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
It was discussed here (the word "discussed" being used very loosely)...
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...t=interference

Casey Stengel

Old 09-04-2023, 07:44 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Agree that it is a super douchy move. If one has the price up to begin with, just leave it and write SOLD next to it. Nobody needs to know if they discounted 50% or not.
I think "super douchy" is a bit strong here. Seller can do whatever he wants.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:45 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I realize that it is a totally different marketplace but long ago AH's would not show realized prices after their auctions closed. Now we get all sold card prices days following the close of the auction. Still amazed at some of the prices fetched for 2nd and 3rd tier vintage HOF'ers. It is hard to adjust to the new price structure.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:50 PM
Justin

Quote:
1) it makes it clear the card is sold. I have left prices up (and note sold in the message) and continue to get messages on cards.
I do it for this reason alone. I've never overthought it beyond that. If I sell something on craigslist I delete the ad. Does that frustrate people too?

I do think it's annoying that people bump BST threads for no reason other than "nice card, glws" but whatever. Not a big deal.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/